Securing Extra Wheels to Sloan Trailer (no tire rack needed)

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been carrying an extra set of tires with me to the track in the back of my tow vehicle, which has worked okay, but hasn’t been without its own problems. Accordingly, I started looking into having fabricated a custom tire rack for my trailer, which I had actually seen before at the track. But before going too far down that road, I thought I would try something almost too simple to work... but it did. No doubt some of you already know this, but it turns out that an extra set of tires can easily be secured behind the wind faring of a Sloan Kwik Load trailer as show in the pictures below.

There are a few points worth mentioning here. First, the weight of the wheels and tires does NOT interfear with the rear edge of the flatbed staying flush with the ground when rolled all the way back (and at the time I took these pictures, I was still using my stock HEAVY rims and tires as my backup set). The custom tire rack I had previously seen on a Sloan put so much weight up front that someone had to stand on the rear corner of the trailer bed when rolled back to keep the rear edge on the ground for loading. Second, in addition to securing the wheels so that they don’t roll backwards, I've managed to, very simplistically, secure the wheels so that they do not press up against the wind faring since it wasn’t designed for this weight. Third, unless I need them at the track, I secure the wheels on the trailer before I load the car at home, and don't take them off again until after I unload the car at home. Fourth, although I have a 20-foot trailer, I think this setup might work with an 18-foot trailer as well, although I'm not sure.

So, for those of you with a Sloan trailer or looking for a trailer, keep in mind that this setup works great. For anyone wanting to secure tires to a Sloan or similar trailer in this way, I would be happy to discuss the setup details (there aren’t many) with you.

7177IMG_0653-med.JPG

7177IMG_0656-med.JPG

7177IMG_0614-med.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32