Should I wait for the 2015 refresh

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only more complicated if you choose to make it so. Note my three options listed. If he was already wanting to modify the suspension (MCS) or brakes, you are already down a path where the TA does not make much sense unless you love the color or the solid sway bars. Reason being you chose to give up the two mode suspension for one with about 40 combinations instead the minute you decided to switch it out. Aero is easily applied and track alignment would be set more aggressive anyways. Did you disagree with one of the three options listed or did I miss one?

As for the two mode on the TA, which setting were you faster with on the track? I had heard several people say it was faster with the street vs race setting. Just curious of personal experience on it.

I think that it is a little more complicated than that. The TA is an OEM engineered and warranted package. It also allows you to switch the suspension settings on the fly. I am not aware of an aftermarket suspension modification setup that allows you to continue to use the adjustable on the fly system that comes with the car. So you can upgrade the stock GTS or SRT brakes, change out the sway bars, change out the suspension and tune it the way you want it, but you will not be able to switch back and forth between street and track on the fly.

But, with that said, if you are getting a Viper to use it for drag racing, then it would be best to get the base model, which is lighter than the GTS because you are going to need to change a few things to maximize your repeatable launch capability, e.g. clutch which Nineball has reported does not like slippage that much and for people who drag race every weekend a clutch upgrade is recommneded. Perehaps Jack and Nineball will chime in here with respect to changes that improve repeatable drag strip performance in the Gen V.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your list was good. But some people might not realize that altering the suspension means giving up the "change on the fly" capability of the stock TA suspension. My former Viper had Motons and Eibachs and was corner balanced. Yes. It was adjustable. But adjusting it, other than turning the knobs for bump, etc. and checking the nitrogen cannisters, etc. took some time and expense.

As to your question, it depends on the road course. At Homestead, when you come off the back straight into the infield the transition from the Nascar circuit to the infield is not perfect. So for someone like me who only does a couple road course days a year, the street setting was easier. But, accept for that transition point, the track setting was better and for a pro driver or at least one who gets out on a road course more frequently, I would say the the track setting would probably be their choice between the two available settings. I believe, but I am not sure, that the street setting on the TA is a bit stiffer than the stock SRT setting and the street setting on the GTS.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair points. I know on my GTS, the street setting is firm, but the race setting is pretty rock hard. What is interesting is on my gen3, the MCS suspension can go from being much smoother than the GTS with a couple of clicks to much harsher with a few clicks. In many ways, wish they came from the factory with MCS suspensions so you get ride height and all the settings. Now make that controllable from within the car and that would be awesome.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't order a Viper again. Better deals to be had on existing built cars, and no months of waiting. Buy now.

Understatement of the century. It's why I passed the Huracan Order form back to them at the unveiling of the car. In a way I'm glad I learned the lesson on 130k instead of on 300k. Buying a left over or a babied low mileage pre owned is the way to go. And with dealer hold back and with what invoice is, msrp is a scam.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21