Side by Side Photos - Gen 5 & C7

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, thanks for sharing the side by side photos. BTW, I like your license plate.

I saw a score of new vettes at the B/J auction in Vegas last Sep. Therefore, after finally seeing it in person it gave me a new perspective. The new vette just seems mechanical looking, like it would be great for a transformer movie. Most of all I was disappointed with the tail section--again. As with the C5&6, I think GM continues to run out of funds for the engineers responsible for the tail. Otherwise, I’ve seen the new Viper, not many but a few. The hatch gap does seem prominent, perhaps more so in lighter colored cars. But, not a show stopper for me. Needless to say, I am in favor of the Viper’s curves, but after all I’m partial since I have two Gen IIs. So, my overall visual impression of the new Viper and new vette, well, it didn’t change my historical perception of the two…

Viper--violent felony

Vette--parking ticket

jim

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the bumper/hood gap on my car does bother me a bit. It looks worse due to the shadow direction though. In reality, it might stick up 1/8" inch above the bumper cover. Should be a simple shim fix, but I've been driving the car and not really wanting to drop it off at the dealership. I'll probably drop it off in Dec.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper looks like a bigger, taller car.
The Gen 5 Viper's height is listed at 44.0" while the Corvette C7's is 48.6", so the Vette is a good bit taller. Also, the Viper is nearly 2" wider giving it a wider lower profile stance which at the very least is more visually appealing.

donk_316

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously guys.
I mean we wouldnt be here if we didnt love the Viper in the first place.... BUT i think some of you are being purely delusional by still thinking the Viper looks better than a C7. Maybe white makes the G5 look all fat and dated? Who knows but JESUS that C7 really has me on the fence here.
Maybe its a generational thing? Then again you see the people lined up to buy Vettes and they are 60+ demanding a con"vert"able so they can wear a hat everywhere they go... No idea. Im under 40 and think the C7 looks kick ass. But it isnt a Viper. Hence my issue.

hammerofgods

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C7 in these photos is lowered about an inch from stock. It takes 15 minutes on a lift to do that with any C5-C6-C7. My Viper is stock height. The C7 was a little shorter, but also narrower.

Hurley1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a c7 and just bought a GENIII Viper. Cant wait to get pics of both together! Thanks for sharing.

You must be registered for see images attach

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's pretty close in these pics but the Viper looks 10 times better in person. I think the camera flattens out the curves of the Viper in pics. The Vette appear to have 2 save a space spare tires on the rear.

I have to admit that the panel gaps on a white viper look pretty bad... Sort of makes the car a 20/20... Looks good from 20' at 20mph.

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seriously guys.
I mean we wouldnt be here if we didnt love the Viper in the first place.... BUT i think some of you are being purely delusional by still thinking the Viper looks better than a C7. Maybe white makes the G5 look all fat and dated? Who knows but JESUS that C7 really has me on the fence here.
Maybe its a generational thing? Then again you see the people lined up to buy Vettes and they are 60+ demanding a con"vert"able so they can wear a hat everywhere they go... No idea. Im under 40 and think the C7 looks kick ass. But it isnt a Viper. Hence my issue.

I think its just because it the newest thing... must have the newest. Give it a year. "Its just a Stingray...." (Compared to the new Z06... the Stingray will be OLD news and the lower version... Patience.)

The Viper on the otherhand... all Vipers across all years still look great and get MORE looks than any year vette.

I like both, but the fact there are thousands of Vettes running around sours the taste.

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the side by side photos. I've been biting my tongue, but the Viper hood gap to front facia in the center looks hideous in the photos, even shows some shading from the sun. I trust your visual descriptions of both vehicles since that is real world. But photography from a short distance clearly in my opinion clearly has the C7 designed to hide the hood and hatch gaps, whereas the Viper has wide gaps visually from basically all viewing angles. That tells me more thought was put into the C7 body panel design, whereas the Viper was an after thought. How many years has the corvette gone with an ugly rear end. It seems as though an after thought for the last few generations. I don't get it, this generation is just plain fugly with being half black also.

LOL...looks like someone was drinking and signed up in the wrong website! The C7 is a nice car. But not even in the same class as the Viper. As far as looks(we"ll leave the performance aspect out of this since it"s been killed to death already) I happen to think every single vette generation is boring and bland except for the the C2"s and have not owned a vette for 20 years, but I rent them all the time on business travels which I do often. So not being an owner but have plenty of experience driving them. (Yes even rented a zr1) but would never buy one for myself. Like I said nice car but I compare the new vette to a cute girl until the leggy big busted blond walk in the room and the cute girl just disappears. Which is what happens when I drive my viper and pull/park next to a corvette and watch every one else ignore the vette...even the little kids, which speaks volume as their minds are not corrupted by pay per review car magazines..at least not yet! So you vette guys just have to deal with it. Your always going to be the little brother for the NON car crowds. As they don't care which care is faster or handles better. All they see is what's better looking....VIPER..and that's a fact! So get over it!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I love the C7 and the new Viper, nothing has the road presence that a Gen II GTS does IMHO. Even the Gen III and Gen IV have an incredible road presence. I have not seen enough Gen V's on the road yet to say if that has it or not but I suspect it will. The Vipers are just so low and wide they look awesome going down the road.

As nice as the C7 is it will just be another vette soon. Now the C7Z should be an incredible car.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I love the C7 and the new Viper, nothing has the road presence that a Gen II GTS does IMHO.

I agree wholeheartedly. Even though I own a Gen 2 GTS and see it every day, if I see a Gen 2 GTS out in the countryside by itself in its natural element, I have this primal desire to go chasing after it, barking uncontrollably.

Gustfront

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Until they both hit the road....

I heard from some friends you were a bit whiny about your Gen V. lol. How about when they both hit the track...oh that's right, your car seems to have an issue there. Wait, wait. How much HP does it make?. Oh I'm sorry, doesn't wanna work on a dyno. Trak it huh.?:rolaugh::rolaugh:

Good thing I bought an ACR. I won't have to make excuses for my $100k+ car.

Last edited:

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seen a white C7 today in a parking lot. I happened to glance over at it then look away. As soon as I looked away it registered in my mind that it was something exotic so I looked again. With the sharp lines, it is handsome in your peripheral vision. But upon closer inspection it was "oh...it's just a Corvette". There really is no mystique in the Corvette. I was getting a haircut the other day and when I was done, went out to the car and there was this kid (looked about 9-10 years old) walking around the car looking at it. His mom was holding what appeared to be his younger brother in her arms and telling him to hurry up. This kid tells me..."I like your car sir, I've been wanting one of those since I was a little kid". I don't think there's anything more bad a$$ looking then a tastefully modded Gen2. But those Gen4 ACR's damn sure have my attention.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard from some friends you were a bit whiny about your Gen V. lol. How about when they both hit the track...oh that's right, your car seems to have an issue there. Wait, wait. How much HP does it make?. Oh I'm sorry, doesn't wanna work on a dyno. Trak it huh.?:rolaugh::rolaugh:

Yawn. Car does quite fine around the track.

IAT issues will get sorted, then you all will have even less to cry about.

Never seen a bigger group of crybabies

Gustfront

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yawn. Car does quite fine around the track.

IAT issues will get sorted, then you all will have even less to cry about.

Never seen a bigger group of crybabies

Who's crying.? I like the Gen V. I'm just really glad I bought an ACR and don't have to worry about constantly defending it.

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously guys.

Why not buy a Gen3/4 Viper and the new Vette!!! Heading back early to drive mine!!!! Will take side by side pic and post tomorrow.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Some talk about going to the track, I do it. Have you had a chance to track your ACR yet? I'd be happy to compare lap times at MSR or dragstrip times at RPR with you. Grab a lane. Let's see if you can drive that Viper.

Gustfront

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some talk about going to the track, I do it. Have you had a chance to track your ACR yet? I'd be happy to compare lap times at MSR or dragstrip times at RPR with you. Grab a lane. Let's see if you can drive that Viper.

Well, I don't drag race and I haven't been to MSR..heard it was a better go kart track. I have been to TWS 3 times for track weekends with the BMW club though, and once with the Porsche group. My best was a 1:56.81 and my average lap times were between 1:57's and 1:58's according to the timer. How about you?.

Oh and thanks for the laughs. I had a bet with shooter that you wouldn't reply...he said you would but that you would try to come off like some track expert by mentioning lap times from the 1 time you went to MSR.:rolaugh::rolaugh:

Wade,
proud ACR owner

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a good old fashioned ******* match to me. But, Willis to Houston IS about 45 minutes. You guys could race, crack a beer and shoot the breeze...then post us up some video.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I don't drag race and I haven't been to MSR..heard it was a better go kart track. I have been to TWS 3 times for track weekends with the BMW club though, and once with the Porsche group. My best was a 1:56.81 and my average lap times were between 1:57's and 1:58's according to the timer. How about you?.

Oh and thanks for the laughs. I had a bet with shooter that you wouldn't reply...he said you would but that you would try to come off like some track expert by mentioning lap times from the 1 time you went to MSR.:rolaugh::rolaugh:

Wade,
proud ACR owner

Wade,

I didn't mention any lap times. You did. I said we should run them and compare times. TWS is my favorite track in TX, I'll go run there when I get a chance. And for the record, I don't have anything against Shooter or ACR's. Each of us likes our cars. I'd still consider buying an ACR sometime. I still own a Gen 3 coupe, so I do like the body style.