Sikkens waterbase Autoclear WB and AutoWave

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone try these?

It is a full waterbase system including primer, basecoat and clear coat.

They have Viper Black and Viper Red.

Regards
Tom

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have been working on water base auto paint ever since volatile paint emissions became an issue(late 80's early 90's?) I would be skeptical until I saw the finished product.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If those are your colors have them paint the car for you at your place.They send around pros to convince body shop owners etc.to buy and use.I'd want a guarantee too.Sikkens is good stuff but why would you want to be a ginny pig?Use it after its been out there for 6-10 yrs.and doesn't fade or flake off the car. Bruce

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thoughts were that these paints have already been used for years by the OEM's.

In particular, Viper has a paint that is compliant - it is not a hard paint. The result is that debris that leaves a stone chip on a hard, conventional paint merely bounces off Viper. I had a 98 Z28 black convertible and I assure you, every grain of sand that hit that front end left a white fracture surface in the clear coat. My 2000 Viper I put 16k miles on it had something like 5 stone chips. (granted it was red and not black but I would scrutinize it on my hands and knees periodically.)

Perhaps D-C uses a flex agent in the clear or maybe it is a characteristic of water based paint.

There there are diisocyanates.

Ironically, zero tolerance VOC policy, while supposedly to the health of community, exposes auto paint professionals' lives to greatly increased hazardous risk.

I don't mind if some inhaled toxin builds in in my liver and kidneys and is never eliminated from my body. A good respirator works just fine.

DI's are that an all this: they are absorbed thru your skin and eyes and you can be come sensitized to them. That is a real show stopper for me personally.

I do my painting in a highly ventilated/filtered garage in my residential neighborhood and would welcome less hazardous, stinky materials. My ventilation flow volume is so great, you smell nothing if you are upwind from the gun. I've had great results with this high velocity.

My guess is that the water based stuff is much less toxic and offensive.

If that is the case, I say bring it on - especially since I never made the transition to the modern basecoat/clearcoats and I'd just as soon skip them entirely if possible.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just talking with Sikkens.net which is the North America Sikkens business unit and this stuff is strictly EUROPEAN (Sikkens.com)

Hello European Viper Owners (!) Do you know any particulars about the new water based automotive paints that I think are being mandated there way ahead of our purification schedule?

I wondering if this new water based stuff is as toxic as current Iso Cyanate polyeurethane.

What is intriguing about the AutoWave products is that they are basically ODORLESS!!!! So that means the little guys over here that are painting in residential areas will eliminate one of the big "stinks" they have to deal with regarding their neighbors.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is Denny (Wagner) at?

He owns a chain of body/paint shops and can probably answer these questions?

Denny, where you at? Leave the sheep alone will ya.......

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started another thread stating the waterbase stuff is NOT iso-cyanate.

So I guess I would suggest any further postings on this be put on that thread.

But to address the last post by Jerome:

I don'tknow if anyone in the USA can shed light on this - because Sikkens North American corporate can't! They have a CA trial of the waterbase basecoat ONLY and even Sikkens NA doesn't have the TDS and MSDS sheets. (The way I got the information that it doesn't use isocyanates was to call a local CA Sikkens contact associated with the article that appeared on Sikkens NA corporate website. I believe he went to read the label on the paint because, still, I don't think there was a MSDS.)

Now Sikkens Global is another story, its been in use in England/Europe for something of the order of 10 years so they say.

So I'm all ears for any usage reports from Europe.

I would suggest use the other thread from here out.