"SNAKE KILLER...CORVETTE ZO6 ...500HP IN SPRING 05'

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\"SNAKE KILLER...CORVETTE ZO6 ...500HP IN SPRING 05\'

January 2005 CAR & DRIVER page 38.
"Snake Killer: The new high powered Corvette Z06 is expected to bow this spring with a Viper-matching 500 horsepower. Power will come from an enlarged 7.0-liter version of the 6.0-liter engine used in the base Vette. No longer a hardtop, the Z06 will get the hatchback and targa roof of the regular Corvette. No word on the price of all the extra power, but the Z06 could ring in at $60,000."

500hp welcome to the party Corvette - How about a 625hp Viper and we move the party again DC?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Even HP and the snake has 50 more TQ so.....

and it weighs 3130 Whats does the SRT weigh? I know my 99 weighs 3440.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

but buy how much??

enough to make up for 50 TQ loss?? no

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Face it, it's a snake killer.
At least a stock snake killer.

I don't see why it should cost $60k though. What's in it that would cost any more than the stock Vette?

The engine is just different. They still have to put in all the parts. Why would any of the parts cost much more?

If it had a turbo or sc I could see the extra money.

I would guess that it will have a redline about 1k rpm higher than a Viper V10.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

but buy how much??

enough to make up for 50 TQ loss?? no

Torque is great, don't get me wrong, but if you were to drag race the new ZO6, you are going to be spending time in the power peak, not the torque peak. As it stands, with the equal power and weighing a few hundred pounds less, the Z should outrun the current viper.

Jesse97GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

snake killer or not at 65 mph on the fwy all people see is a vette now drive VIPER and people get out of your way :headbang:

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

O good God, don't bring all the Vette Club members over here... No doubt the new Z06 is going to be a fast car, but HOW FAST we will not know until released. Remember, even the magazines are making 'educated guesses'. The 100% facts on price, weight, and HP/Torque will not be known by the general public until January in Detroit (NAIAS). Any real world (not magazine) testing will not be accomplished much later than this, when the car is released to the public. Until then, know one will really have an idea of what this Vette will do.... For example, look at the GT-40 performance specs in the mags. They are all over the board.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Anyone looking for torque can gear down the 7k rpm the Vette turns, to the 6200 rpm the V10 turns.

When you gear it down the torque is multiplied.

So the Vette getting 50 ft/lb less will probably make more at the rear wheels.

I don't understand how some of those specs can be true though.
How are they going to run pump gas with 11:1 compression?

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

Face it, it's a snake killer.

I dont know about that its 50TQ less and the same HP and the weight is also close.

The weight difference is about 200 lbs and power makes torque at the rear wheels. Get a supercharger and you will be laughing at them again.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I've seen postings on vette boards that the car will have some CF panels and weight about 3000lbs. It may not beat the viper on a straight line, but with most drivers it will be the faster track car on a road course.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I THINK IT STILL LOOKS LIKE A SMILEY FACE :eek: :eek: :eek:
6041PICT0028.jpg

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Face it guys, if Dodge doesn't kick it up a notch, this Vette WILL be a faster car than the Viper!

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

NOW THIS LOOKS LIKE A 500HP CAR, THE REAL DEAL :headbang:
6041PICT0010.JPG

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

CAN SOMEONE DOWNSIZE THE PIC ABOVE FOR ME OR TELL ME HOW TO DO IT

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

the new Z06 is going to be a fast car, but HOW FAST we will not know until released.

Exactly. Gawd, every time this topic comes up people jump on the GM hype-wagon. Apparently I'm the only one Generic Motors has let down for 30 years, or until I stopped giving a s***.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

snake killer or not at 65 mph on the fwy all people see is a vette now drive VIPER and people get out of your way :headbang:
Right on!! :D :2tu: :D :2tu: I don't care if it is a Vette, they still make WAY to many of them and nobody gives them a second look cause they are all over the place. But hop into a Viper and instant respect! I will take that any day over a mass produced car such as the Vette. I could care less about about not being faster than the new ZO6 because I know that I can beat the majority of them that are on the road. Good enough for me! :D :D

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Please, it is not a snake killer. Dodge will always stay on top. the next SRT will make big HP from what I am told. All of us with Gen 1 and Gen2 cars have to do small upgrades to stay way ahead of this so called viper killer. Trust me Dodge is not going to fall behind GM.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I don't care how much hp it has.....still a vette to me.

No doubt it will be a great on like the ZR-1, and even the current Z06. But put it next to a viper and the only people that are going to care about it are bow tie fans.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I don't care how much hp it has.....still a vette to me.

No doubt it will be a great one like the ZR-1, and even the current Z06. But put it next to a viper and the only people that are going to care about it are bow tie fans.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

dunno about it being a snake killer. It's the area under the curve. I still say a 500HP viper's torque curve will be WAY fatter than a vettes TQ curve.

G

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

dunno about it being a snake killer. It's the area under the curve. I still say a 500HP viper's torque curve will be WAY fatter than a vettes TQ curve.

G

AGREED