So Has Anyone Ever Gotten Caught In The Snow With Their Viper?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just browsing through eBay and saw a picture of a seller with his Viper in the snow. He said he never drove it in the snow or rain but it sparked a question, has anyone taken their Viper in the snow? The closest I came was a few days ago when I just pulled the car out of storage onto the snow to start it up since it has been a while. Any interesting stories? Please share. Viper's just look funny in the snow:

You must be registered for see images attach

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ask Kenny, he loves driving in the snow!

personally I just can't do it, too much cleaning afterwards and potential collisions with other wing dings, but apparently the car is decent in the snow from what I have read, who woulda thought?

John Johns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been caught twice in the snow. The first was in my 95 RT on the way to VOI in Vegas while going through Utah. I followed a snow plow for 35 miles through 3" of slush at 30 mph. The car is not good in the snow! Major rock pits. A front fascia repaint followed. VOI was great!

Reaction score
John Slaughter is notorious for his stories! I'll see if I can't find his posts. There was one, with a picture of his RT/10 on his grass in the front yard of his house....it was as close to the garage as he dared to get. )

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep trying to find that stuff in Florida..... something looks like that on the beach. :D

Cudaman :usa:

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
I got stuck in a snowstorm returning from The Silver State Challenge in Nevada 2 years ago as I was leaving Reno. A drive that normally takes about 3 hours took 13 hours. Driving that car in the rain is scarry enough. In the snow it is terrifying.

BlackVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Matthew,

That picture is really sick. Who would do that to their Viper? Oh well...

I moved from Michigan to Texas so I would not have to deal with that problem any more.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a joke right? That's a great Photoshop job! Viper in the snow .....you're killin me! LOL!!!!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John Slaughter is notorious for his stories! I'll see if I can't find his posts. There was one, with a picture of his RT/10 on his grass in the front yard of his house....it was as close to the garage as he dared to get. )

I got caught last year in an icestorm on my way back up from a Tampa Viper meet, and had to park the car in the front yard instead of trying to negotiate my driveway (the road itself was solid ice too). AND I JUST GOT CAUGHT BY THIS MOST RECENT STORM, 4" OF SNOW ON THE CAR (PICS IN A COUPLE WEEKS) AND AGAIN HAD TO PARK IN MY YARD!

Ice on the car on the return trip last year:
You must be registered for see images

Front yard parking last year:

Front yard parking this year!:

S

SUN RA KAT

ask Kenny, he loves driving in the snow!

personally I just can't do it, too much cleaning afterwards and potential collisions with other wing dings, but apparently the car is decent in the snow from what I have read, who woulda thought?

I was at my Viper Tech's house and we were doing some work on my newly installed Roe Supercharger. The snow was supposed to stay 50 miles to the south, but it didn't. About 2 miles from his house I was driving on sticking snow and in a heavy snowstorm that kept getting worse the closer I was getting to home. I found out the Viper with fairly new tires does handle better than 100% of the cars that went off the road and better than 60% of the cars still on the road with the snow about 2-3 inches on top of ice. Extremely gentle working of the go & whoa pedals and the steering wheel are required. The worst thing about driving a Viper in the snow is cleaning the salt spray and dirty snow off of it afterwards - there are hundreds of places for wet dirt to hide in a Viper - it took me hours to get it clean. I don't want to do it again.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to pull my Viper out of the garage Monday night to do something on my truck. The weather was about -40 degrees and the driveway was well cleared. It went out fine but took forever to bring it back in. Conclusion: The Viper has the worst traction in the snow. It's actually happier going sideways than back or forth.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MINUS 40! Ugh!

I won't make the smartassed question about F or C (they are the same at -40).

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man they just sanded the livin $hit out of the roads around here (that alone just added another month in solitary confinement), now I have to wait for 2 real good gully washers to get that sandblasting media out of the travel lanes!

Reaction score
The first one is my neighbor who bought a GTS.
He left it outside one day and got a surprise.

The next year he bought a RT/10. Left them both outside one day and got a surprise.

Then a friend of mine left his GTS outside and got a surprise.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is impossible to drive confidently in the snow on stock tires. Switching to 255 wide mud and snow directional tires all around (like the Michelin Alpin) and driving at very low rpms will solve the problem. Would I? I actually did use these in a Supra Turbo that could not go over 30mph in icy conditions. Once I put in these tires, I never had a problem. They bite. I have driven to all the ski areas in Vermont on these and even off the road in 6 inch drifts. The Viper will look skinny with 255s but they'll work.

-Avi

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960