So how much tuning is involved with a 100 hp shot of nitrous?

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have always avoided nitrous (and may still) but was wondering how much, if any, tuning is involved with say a 100 hp shot of nitrous? i have a 96 rt/10 and considered doing a 100 hp shot and was wondering what all is involved? if i were to ever do it i would go with the system that has the injectors in the smooth tubes. i wouldn't want some eloborate set-up. just something simple. any input from people that have done this would be appreaciated.

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wet kit for sure. Wide open throttle switch and window switch too. Minor tuning from a competent tuner should do the trick. I ran a 100hp wet shot on my C5 for two years w/ no tuning and ZERO problems. Probably over 200lbs of Nitrous during that time period.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nitrous can get tricky though. Although I have never used or worked with it, I have heard plenty of stories that end with, "and then it blew up." :omg:

:usa:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its NOT tricky at all to be honest. just dont skimp on safety or quality of the setup.

WOT switch, RPM window switch, some say a fuel cutoff but i didnt. the WET system is the only way to go. nitrous express is in my opinion the best and easiest way to go and call nitro daves for help and parts. he helped me more than anyone. you can see pics of my setup in my gallery here. JackB has a sweet setup as well and is VERY knowledgeable.

simple to tune on a dyno and can definitely be done by yourself or by most guys with a dyno. simple stuff.

Last edited:

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^agreed^^
go with the NX kit and some simple tuning

tuning mainly consists of getting the jets right on a wet system
you can add an ignition box for retard later if you want to up the shot - you can never have enough hp and nitrous is very adictive :D

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nitro dave will be able to tell you almost right away what to jet the system at and he will be damn close. a 100 shot is as easy and simple as you can get for nitrous. the higher the shot, the harder it is.

BUT..................the final answer on MY problems (engine) was the nitrous or the silly amount of it i ran thru my engine. (around 100 bottles at a 200 shot). the net was 577rwhp/856rwtq. i had so much dang fun though... :) a small 100 shot used sparingly, should be no problem. just dont be stupid and run it as often as i did...lol

trust dave !

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
100HP shot is no problem. Contact and talk to the guys who are using it and pay less attention to "I have never used it, but I can tell you horror stories". I sprayed 300 shots for 2 years, somewhere around 60 tanks. I am still running the motor another 2 years later with a blower and NX. What does that tell you?

At 100HP stage, it is pretty simple tuning and inexpensive set up. Just about any shop with A/F meter, some experience with NX and dyno can do it. Its not rocket science. Get a wet kit.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started out wanting a 75 shot and that didn't last long!! I sprayed a 200 shot on my cast motor for about a year with no issues. Ended up with 600rwhp/780rwtq and had a blast doing it!!

Don't be afraid of it, just find someone that knows what they are doing!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 100 shot is like an off-the-shelf item. Our cars are pretty predictable with nitrous. Virtually any kit will do a good job with a 100 shot. If you do not plan on installing a wideband just make sure you tune it on a dyno the first time, thereafter, merely pull a few plugs on each side after racing. I have found that cylinder #10 seems to run the leanest, that is the first plug I check.

OP
OP
W

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so what kind of tuning are we talking about? just simply colder plugs if needed or what else is involved in the tuning process?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
probably but not definitely a one step colder plug.

after the first time using the nitrous on the dyno (dont use till then) you will check the AF and go up or down in size of the jets till its right. usually about 4-5 pulls.

jack is more knowledgeable than me but i think mine was tuned for 11.5

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've received excellent advice from 'users'. One more point, ESPECIALLY on a small shot like 100; BE SURE to only hit it with bottle pressure over 950. Even better 1050. It is very easy to become disppointed with a 100 wet shot if you accidently try it out at 800 or 900 psi. It just will not perform. So get your bottle pressure up and let her rip. Stock manufacturer jetting is a great start. Another site that is very good at estimating jetting is:Order

Have fun!

Neal
2002 GTS

probably but not definitely a one step colder plug.

after the first time using the nitrous on the dyno (dont use till then) you will check the AF and go up or down in size of the jets till its right. usually about 4-5 pulls.

jack is more knowledgeable than me but i think mine was tuned for 11.5

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
forgot that...yes, keep it at 950 -1000 PSI and only use it then. bottle warmers will help keeping it there

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you buy a bottle warmer, use a pressure transducer to control the heater, not a thermostat. A very nice nitrous accessory site is Dynotune. When you wire the heater, run the power directly from the battery thru an inline fuse. The same with the ground wire, the frame is right there. The heater "ON"/control wires will come from a switch in the cabin, but, the power is from the rear.

If you look in "My Gallery" you will find a wiring diagram that includes most nitrous accessories.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
simple answer...

heads+cam = $10k plus tuning
100 shot of nitrous = $1500 including tuning