So I was pulled over the other day...

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VA Code 46.2-711 -711 Furnishing number and design of plates; displaying on vehicles required.

There is no exception for out of state vehicles...the code clearly states "NO VEHICLES...." It also lists specific exemptions - again, no mention of out of state vehicles.

Interesting, I had only read up to Cop Magnet's post when I made my post above, and lo and behold, I see your legal citation. I think I have a good argument for 1 plate being lawful in VA if from a 1 plate state based on another section, as you'll read above ;) (I only did a quite review of a couple of statutes, no case law, etc., so there well may be more out there...)

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note that the law says that "License plates assigned to a motor vehicle...shall be attached to the front and the rear of the vehicle." VA assigns 2 plates, so you attach one to the front and back. If from MD (which issues 2 plates) and in VA, you will have to have 1 attached to the front and 1 to the back. But if you are from NC (which issues only 1 plate), then by having attached that 1 assigned plate to the rear, you arguably are in compliance with VA law, as you have attached what was assigned to your car.

Other states' laws may vary.

That's exactly the kind of reasoning that I was thinking might apply. Does the State's law only apply to the plates issued by the State's representatives? I looked at the Illinois law and it didn't seem as easy to interpret in this fashion, as the statute that slaughterj quoted.

Of course, I suspect the meaning isn't always the way a lay person would interpret it to mean anyway. I'm certainly not a lawyer and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night . :smirk:

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to formally apologize for the remarks that I have made in several posts in the past week. They were harsh and heavy handed. I have been working such long days the past two weeks (16-20 hr days) that I have written things that I didn't even remember writing. I am very sorry for the personal attack on Alpine and the demeanor in which I regarded cop magnet.

That being said I think this is a good debate that should be kept light hearted and well spirited. It seems that as so far there is no clearly defined legal standing on the issue as it could be well argued to each side. I think everyone can agree that given a poor disposition an officer can write a ticket for just about anything but the validity of the citation is the question of the debate.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, I had only read up to Cop Magnet's post when I made my post above, and lo and behold, I see your legal citation. I think I have a good argument for 1 plate being lawful in VA if from a 1 plate state based on another section, as you'll read above ;) (I only did a quite review of a couple of statutes, no case law, etc., so there well may be more out there...)

I've never said that it wasn't a good argument...in fact, it's one I make all the time (and it usually wins). Again, as I stated above, the issue is whether or not it is lawful. However, the window tint and other items are illegal based on the state you are in, not the state the vehicle is registered in.

I truly appreciate your legal acumen, I just think we are looking at different issues here (what the law is and how it is applied). We're on the same page!

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to formally apologize for the remarks that I have made in several posts in the past week. They were harsh and heavy handed. I have been working such long days the past two weeks (16-20 hr days) that I have written things that I didn't even remember writing. I am very sorry for the personal attack on Alpine and the demeanor in which I regarded cop magnet.

That being said I think this is a good debate that should be kept light hearted and well spirited. It seems that as so far there is no clearly defined legal standing on the issue as it could be well argued to each side. I think everyone can agree that given a poor disposition an officer can write a ticket for just about anything but the validity of the citation is the question of the debate.

No harm, no foul...apology accepted.

And you're right (and most attorneys will agree) - there rarely is a bright-line rule for things like this. That is why we get paid the way we do to interpret the law and make arguments either way. I had a client this weekend call because she was pulled over at a checkpoint for expired tags...the decals were right, the registration was right, but the "computer" was saying they were expired. I told my client not to argue with the officer, be polite an cooperative and that we will fight it in court (the proper forum). As I was on the phone, the trooper came back and I heard her apologize to my client for any confusion, said that my client would not be cited and that my client should talk to DMV. I think that if my client had argued adn upset the trooper, there would have been a summons issued. I think any officer will tell you that they are willing to cooperate with you if you don't become hostile with them. The second you become hostile, their attitude changes as well.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No harm, no foul...apology accepted.

And you're right (and most attorneys will agree) - there rarely is a bright-line rule for things like this. That is why we get paid the way we do to interpret the law and make arguments either way. I had a client this weekend call because she was pulled over at a checkpoint for expired tags...the decals were right, the registration was right, but the "computer" was saying they were expired. I told my client not to argue with the officer, be polite an cooperative and that we will fight it in court (the proper forum). As I was on the phone, the trooper came back and I heard her apologize to my client for any confusion, said that my client would not be cited and that my client should talk to DMV. I think that if my client had argued adn upset the trooper, there would have been a summons issued. I think any officer will tell you that they are willing to cooperate with you if you don't become hostile with them. The second you become hostile, their attitude changes as well.
EXACTLY,it also becomes alot harder to cut a deal in court if the DEFEND gave the cop a hard time.A buddy of mine (ex proscuter in 7 NJ towns)now does alot of light criminal,traffic ,dwi ect always asks his clients if they gave the cop a hard time when taking the particulars on a case because (esp if they are guilty )it really matters if a deal has to be cut.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got stopped yesterday morning for doing 50 in a 35. Sadly I was too tired to realize that I was speeding and I almost didn't notice that I was the one getting pulled over. So after I drove about a block or more with the cop behind me with his lights on, he hit his siren and didn't seem very pleased when I finally stopped. No questions asked, just got the ticket. I think he was even less pleased when I nearly fell asleep wait for him to write the ticket. It seems they are really getting hard up to write tickets. I have been stopped before but I have never gotten a ticket, not even when I got caught doing 85+ in a 35 near my house.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it pleasing that this thread likely has over $1,000 worth of attorney's fees that will never be billed (or paid)!

From the perspective of someone whose paid a lot of (absolutely well spent) legal bills...... :D

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it pleasing that this thread likely has over $1,000 worth of attorney's fees that will never be billed (or paid)!

From the perspective of someone whose paid a lot of (absolutely well spent) legal bills...... :D

I'm counting this as pro bono work...trying to figure out a way to deduct it from my taxes!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In NJ its not the moving violation fine (approx 85 dollars )its the points that get you as 13 of them say goodbye to your license FOR MONTHS plus SKY HIGH insurance.Basically every different moving violation carries a different point denomination (careless driving for example is 2 points ).What totally can destroy someones driving record (part of interest to us Viper owners )is something like racing on the highway.If your caught doing this just once its catostrophic because the police parlay it with recless driving and of coarse speeding and before you know it you can have 20 points in one shot.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its good to have cop (or ex-cop) friends when you get tickets but don't want to pay the fines. :2tu: Its still a pain getting them but it sure beats having to pay an attorney.

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did not research what remarks you made that you considered harsh or inflammatory but 2 points for you for apologizing and to Alpine for his gracious acceptance. We all do it whether it's in our personal lives or on this forum but you did man up and that should be commended. :beer: BD

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....2 points for you for apologizing and to Alpine for his gracious acceptance. We all do it whether it's in our personal lives or on this forum but you did man up and that should be commended. :beer: BD

you wrote what i was thinking :2tu:

well done gentlemen :2tu: :2tu:

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tickets, Tickets, Tickets… I was recently pulled over by a special, power tripping dude, hired by the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) who actually issued me a notice to appear in Court for having a plate displayed behind the windshield, and not being on the front of the car. Now, I got a court date on the 19th of this month. He puledl on to the highway, saw me through his rear-view mirror, slowed down to about 80 km /h, got behind me, and pulled me over.
Right of the bat he told me that I would have to go to court for the plate violation, and than asked me for my Licence and Registration. I usually take the local Gestapo members to court myself, but I was caught by a surprise there. He announced that it wasn’t just me, and that he does it to everyone. Dragging everyone through the court system for no major traffic violations? I actually was afraid for my life and scared of getting shot while I tried to pull my wallet with my identification out of the trunk of my Viper. It’s too big to be put in to my glove box, and resembles a big, black item. Thanks god I wasn’t shot dead that time, otherwise, ****** would have been proud of him for sure. Well, I just got lucky to get away with my life, and I hope that the Judge hasn’t lost his / hers mind.
A super question!!! Does Dodge make Front Plate holder for the 1994 RT/10, or when it might have been discontinued? Or any other fighting strategies available in court?

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its better than starting yet another new thread for the same topic..... like some seem so upset about others doing.

1994viper, There are two options..... you can get a front plate bracket that screws onto the front fascia or on that is removable. Both are available from partsrack.com There should have been a front bracket that came with your car but if you are not the first owner many people don't save it if they aren't using it. You could try asking (in a new thread) if anyone has a front bracket that they would sell you. You might even find someone that would just send you theirs for shipping cost. I would but I can't find the stupid thing.

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I consider the occasional "no front plate" ticket as part of the cost of owning the car every year. What infuriates me is to think how many drug deals, robberies, and violent crimes are happening, and this is what cops spend there time doing. Way to go fighting crime.:2tu:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blame yourself for not writing and pushing the state you live in to only require a rear license plate. I mean the states are going broke, so just eliminate it altogether. It is a joke ticket written by a poor cop. Law or not, it is a joke ticket and a front license plate serves absolutely no purpose. Must be some organization like SEMA that could push this for all 50 states.

Pay the fine and move on. I once had a cop sit outside my house in college to ticket my 1/2 truck for no front license plate back in Canada, then the province did away with them 1 year after I moved away. Figures! Sure wish Colorado would wake up, but then again only down town Denver hands out those kind of weak tickets. Just typical city cop on contract that was not good enough to be a state trooper.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blame yourself for not writing and pushing the state you live in to only require a rear license plate. I mean the states are going broke, so just eliminate it altogether. It is a joke ticket written by a poor cop. Law or not, it is a joke ticket and a front license plate serves absolutely no purpose. Must be some organization like SEMA that could push this for all 50 states.

Pay the fine and move on. I once had a cop sit outside my house in college to ticket my 1/2 truck for no front license plate back in Canada, then the province did away with them 1 year after I moved away. Figures! Sure wish Colorado would wake up, but then again only down town Denver hands out those kind of weak tickets. Just typical city cop on contract that was not good enough to be a state trooper.

I think you totally miss the point of a front plate. It's to increase revenue, no other purpose. Red light camera's, toll booths, probable cause for other stops (and other tickets), and a money maker even as a stand-alone violation. They are not voting that away. But it's all good cuz we live in a FREE country!
:usa:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with what you said on revenue, but most of the areas in Colorado have front and rear cameras for this. It is just a weak ticket. They could still charge the same for plates reg., which is ridiculous in Colorado, but keep the front license plate off. Where is the revenue saver in only producing 1/2 the required front plates.

America use to be free. Now we are just leasing it. New Viper will be released but it is currently behind the iron curtain.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Blue,

I get pulled over a lot, I immediately pull over, I turn off the car and roll down the windows and put my hazards on and put both my hands (holding my license, registration & insurance) out the driver's window. I've been told by a few officers that my gesture of respect to them, means I'm getting a warning and we usually chat about my car and when I bought it. I inevitably get asked how fast have I had it and I explain VOI 10 was where I went fastest on the Manufacturer's track.

The reason the officer had to tell you about tint and lack of a front plate is so that he establishes probable cause to stop you, because if he didn't and you recorded the date and time of each time the same police force stopped you, you might be able to take them to court for harassment and possibly get a cease and dissist order against them.

Just let your joy of the new car show, show him the engine compartment, get him in the driver's seat if you can and enjoy....he won't be able to the wipe the smile off his face for days!

Regards,
Aaron

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you guys are incorrect You CAN be ticketed in any state for what's illegal in that state regardless of where you're from and what's legal back home. The classic example is window tint. Drive from AZ to CA with tint on your front windows and you can and will be ticketed. Local law over-rules everything else.

Yes and no. The primary factor is where the car is registered. If you're an AZ resident in CA for a visit, you're fine (we're talking tint/no front plate stuff). If you're a dual resident, now it gets dicey. If you've got a CA DL and a car with AZ plates and its registered to you, you've got some 'splainin to do.:grumpy:

People arent dumb. They like living in Cali but dont wanna pay to play. Some do a lot of business here and its totally legit.

As far as cops making stupid stops, some of the best busts ever were made because of a broken tail-light or no-front-plate stop. Lotsa DUI drivers get caught simply because they have tint.:D

OP
OP
B

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its better than starting yet another new thread for the same topic..... like some seem so upset about others doing.

Its a catch 22. People get mad when someone posts a new thread on a reacurring topic, and tell em to use the SEARCH function instead. And when they post on an old thread after using the search function, people still get mad, lol.

Bat

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're an AZ resident in CA for a visit, you're fine (we're talking tint/no front plate stuff).

Here we go again. See my prior posts, and Alpine's posts. You are not "fine" in the legal sense. Yes, probably as a visitor you won't be ticketed. But you could be. J&R still owe me a $100 over this argument :rolaugh:.

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know if this is legal, but it sure looks good. A friend of mine went to a sign shop and had a sitcker made of his front plate. He made it a bit smaller than original so it would fit his front facia. From 20 feet away you'd never know it wasn't the real thing.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here we go again. See my prior posts, and Alpine's posts. You are not "fine" in the legal sense. Yes, probably as a visitor you won't be ticketed. But you could be. J&R still owe me a $100 over this argument :rolaugh:.
Exactly if the cops KEEP seeing the car in question over a few week period the owner is going to get written .In NJ both local and State police could give a crap about the laws pertaining to state where the car is registered. If your driving threw THEIR towns or patrol area and the car has something thats illegal in NJ (tint,no front plate,CELLPHONES ,SEATBELTS ect ect )thats not illegal in the state where the car is reristered the owner-driver (depending on the mood-disgression of the cop) will get penned out.Another problem is say the owner is from Florida and just passing threw whats he going to do come back a month later to fight the ticket in court? Most likley he will send the money in by mail.If he ignores it and is ever stopped up HERE again he comes in on a bench warrant for something as stupid a failure to pay a non moving violation (i have seen MANY people arrested for unpaid parking tickets .)The overall senerio is we have more people per square mile than ANYWHERE in the country with the NJ Turnpike being the most traveled road in the country. When the towns and or state needs EASY MONEY they lean on the police chiefs to lean on their cops to write more tickets .