So I was pulled over the other day...

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually about 2 weeks ago just after taking delivery of my new Viper from Tomball Dodge and Ben Keating. I was turning left at the light and a cop was a few cars in front of me turning left as well. After the light turns green he immediately pulls over to let me pass, then all of a sudden he flashes his lights and pulls me over, goes over the routine license, reg...Then tells me " You're gonna get pulled over for no front plates, tinted front windows..." I told him I just took delivery of the car from out of state, so there are no plates yet. I even showed him the temporary reg papers showing the car was from out of state. He told me he wasnt going to site me, then proceeded to tell me he's a car enthusiast as well and looked over my car in somewhat admiration, and tells me he doesnt see many Vipers around town. After all was said and done he let me pull out of the parking lot first.

Now a couple things come to mind after this incident. I think in a sense, he pulled me over just to check out my car. 2ndly, now that he knows who I am, next time he sees me, will he pull me over for not having front plates, I never had front plates on any of my Vipers and never been pulled over either. 3rdly, cops are giving more tickets nowadays more than ever before. A couple friends were recently pulled over for no front plates, another buddy for going 5 miles per hour over the speed limit. Then today, I read an article in one of the car magazines that police are indeed giving out more tickets, because the economy is so bad, cities need more revenue. So, watch out!

Bat

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have read the revenue stories too and i believe them. since high school, i maybe received 2 (?) tickets. but in the last couple years, i have been given more tickets than i care to count, and most of them were for BS stuff like not coming to a complete stop. something is going on.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get the 'clothes pin clip' from JonB. Put it in the your trunk with the plate mounted on. Pull it out and show it to the cop. Tell them that this darn thing just falls off on every speed bump and you need to 'drill holes' in the front of your car $90k car in order to comply with local law. This has gotten me out of a ticket twice.

Remember, not every state requires a front tag. The idea behind the law is that if a car were reported stolen, the officer would be able to identify it oncoming as in a speed trap situation. Intent here is for a silver Honda Accord with plates *** ***. This doesn't apply for Vipers. How many Vipers do they see coming everyday? Not so easy to confuse with other cars on the road.

Don't lecture the cop on the law, just be cognizant.

Last edited:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front fascia (just the plastic part) for the Dodge Ram SRT-10 = $2000.

Sorry, but I'm not drilling into it.
Cite me. I'll pay it.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember, not every state requires a front tag. The idea behind the law is that if a car were reported stolen, the officer would be able to identify it oncoming as in a speed trap situation.

I think the reason for the front license plate is so the state knows who to mail the speeding ticket to when the camera on the bridge takes your picture, but I'm cynical.

Bob

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front plate doesn't bother me. I put the JonB plate holder on three months ago and it's been on there since. To me, it's not worth even getting pulled over to tell officer that the plate is in the trunk because it fell off or I just washed the car. I just leave it.

My $.02 anyway.:dunno:

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never had front plates on any of my vehicles. First thing I do is take them off.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The idea behind the law is that if a car were reported stolen, the officer would be able to identify it oncoming as in a speed trap situation.

How admirable. Too bad the car thief only gets probation and the victim is left with a trashed (usually) car. What good are all these laws when the criminal gets nothing and ironically so does the victim?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now a couple things come to mind after this incident. I think in a sense, he pulled me over just to check out my car. 2ndly, now that he knows who I am, next time he sees me, will he pull me over for not having front plates, I never had front plates on any of my Vipers and never been pulled over either. 3rdly, cops are giving more tickets nowadays more than ever before. A couple friends were recently pulled over for no front plates, another buddy for going 5 miles per hour over the speed limit. Then today, I read an article in one of the car magazines that police are indeed giving out more tickets, because the economy is so bad, cities need more revenue. So, watch out!

Bat

To reduce the cost of doing business, they should get rid of the dead weight hangng around all the donut shops and keep the one that actually do police work catching real criminals and illegals. :mad: :mad: :mad:

viperDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cops are insane in my area these days. I went 10 years wothout a ticket and have received two this year (one in the viper). I got one at 7:26 am on a Sunday morning in my viper in the middle of the country. I think I actually woke the cop up. Bastard didn't even reduce it. My court date is coming up. They really need to either back off or stop wasting money on guns and sooped up cruisers if all they are going ot do is write silly speeding tickets. Give them all one od those over the shoulder sachets that the meter maids wear when they walk through the city.

As to those cameras on the bridges of highways...do they really send you speeding tickets? They always alert my V1, but I have never received a speeding ticket from it. They are definitely extremely annoying if you have a radar detector.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strap the front plate to your passenger visor. When you see a cop, flip it down so it can be seen through the front windshield. Tacky, but it works and no drilling or external mounts.

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What kills me is that some states do not have front plates, and they can drive in our state without getting a ticket! So what is the big deal. I got a no front plate ticket in a parking lot at a state golf course, and I was pulled into the spot so the cop had to get out and walk around the car looking for something to write me on. The ticket was dismissed in court. What a pain in the A$$.
I still have no front plate. Just not gonna do it!

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kills me is that some states do not have front plates, and they can drive in our state without getting a ticket! So what is the big deal. I got a no front plate ticket in a parking lot at a state golf course, and I was pulled into the spot so the cop had to get out and walk around the car looking for something to write me on. The ticket was dismissed in court. What a pain in the A$$.
I still have no front plate. Just not gonna do it!

That's correct. Thankfully we in Arkansas aren't burdened with that.

OzeViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an interesting topic. My brother had a 70SS Camaro about 12 years ago. We lived in a small Texas town, with the same AsHAT cops you all talk about. He kept his front plate in the window for the same reason, not goin to drill into a nice chrome bumper for a plate. He got a ticket for it but hte judge through it out stating having it in the front window was good enough for him. As far as being out of state. You cannot be ticketed for things in one state if it's ok in the state you reside. Example is Inspection/Registration stickers. Some states don't require them on your window. Another good one is carrying your title in the car. Texas doesn't require it because if you car gets stolen the ****, the thief has ur title as well. My mom got pulled over in Kansas last year and was givin a ticket for not having her title. The cop told her he could arrest her for it. He didn't care Texas didn't require it. When we went to court the judge through out the whole case because of the cop's attitude. He took the cop into his chamber to speak in private.

The main thing to understand is, you can only drive by the rules that apply to you in your state. And if you are in a different state THAT state has to respect those rules. The same laws that make a state respect another state's marriage license is the same law that applys to drivers licenses.

I live in oklahoma, I don't have to have a front license plate or stickers on my window. When I get my viper, it will not have a license plate on the front or stickers on the window.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you guys are incorrect You CAN be ticketed in any state for what's illegal in that state regardless of where you're from and what's legal back home. The classic example is window tint. Drive from AZ to CA with tint on your front windows and you can and will be ticketed. Local law over-rules everything else.

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I KNOW you can be ticketed for almost anything the officer decides (whether in compliance with the law or not). I've been through several examples and quoted one officer the law, and was told "that sounds like a defense statement in court." Well I was right and it got thrown out within 5 minutes of my attorney approaching the judge, but when you win you still lose ($$$, time, inconvenience).

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In NY the plate is supposed to be permanently mounted and forward facing, so the visor thing doesn't work. However, I heard this and will pass it along:

get the double sticky tape used for holding chrome trim on the side of a car. Use that to mount the plate to the inside of the glass. Then it is forward facing and as permanently mounted as the "Police Interceptor" plate on their trunk lid. I would think this should work.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Local vehicle laws are a different animal than marriage laws. A polygamist from Utah is illegal when he and his wives move to Illinois anyway. If what you are saying is true about reciprocity between states, I could buy *** in Cali where it's legal and smoke it in Montana where its not. Or not carry insurance because they don't require it where I'm from. I guarantee you that's not gonna happen, and not just because of some cops on-the-spot interpretation. That one's not getting tossed out of court. I am telling you, local laws apply to license plate requirements. Maybe a local cop has let you go out of courtesy, given that it is a stupid law and you were just visiting, but he doesn't have to. Same with insurance requirements, loudness laws, seatbelt requirements, etc.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since in Florida we are ass backwards, we have no front plates either.

That's an option. Find someone in FL that will let their address used for registration. I'd say about $100 oughta do it, not that I'm offering because it's probably illegal to do such a thing and I always try to stay on the right side of the law no matter how stupid and un-American the law may be.

OzeViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stuff like plygamy and *** are under federal law. *** is not legal in cali, they just pretend it is.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the mid to late 90s I got so tired of getting pulled in Vipers and Vettes I went with Jon's plate. I just taped a front plate to my new 09 CTS-V becauase I knew that would draw attention. (2 sided tape works fine--that is what came from the factory with my 05 Vette) Used it on my M5 as well.

There is no question it is the Viper they want to check out. I was pulled 9 times--only 1 ticket. To check I pulled the front plate off my SUV ridng the same streets for over a year--never pulled. (I even had one guy ask to see the motor!!)

To me it just wasn't worth it. I also have a carry permit and they get real antsy when they see that and then ask if you have the gun in the car etc

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you guys are incorrect You CAN be ticketed in any state for what's illegal in that state regardless of where you're from and what's legal back home. The classic example is window tint. Drive from AZ to CA with tint on your front windows and you can and will be ticketed. Local law over-rules everything else.

But this does not apply to license plates. In states such as Louisiana, you are only issued one plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187