So I was pulled over the other day...

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Blue,

I get pulled over a lot, I immediately pull over, I turn off the car and roll down the windows and put my hazards on and put both my hands (holding my license, registration & insurance) out the driver's window. I've been told by a few officers that my gesture of respect to them, means I'm getting a warning and we usually chat about my car and when I bought it. I inevitably get asked how fast have I had it and I explain VOI 10 was where I went fastest on the Manufacturer's track.

The reason the officer had to tell you about tint and lack of a front plate is so that he establishes probable cause to stop you, because if he didn't and you recorded the date and time of each time the same police force stopped you, you might be able to take them to court for harassment and possibly get a cease and dissist order against them.

Just let your joy of the new car show, show him the engine compartment, get him in the driver's seat if you can and enjoy....he won't be able to the wipe the smile off his face for days!

Regards,
Aaron
You forgot the most important thing of all the PBA card or STFA Sticker complete with the troopers badge number that gave it to you.In NJ if your lucky enough to get one of those you would not believe the pull it has since one Trooper will do everything in his power not to write another troopers friend or family member (provided they are polite ect ).

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here we go again. See my prior posts, and Alpine's posts. You are not "fine" in the legal sense. Yes, probably as a visitor you won't be ticketed. But you could be. J&R still owe me a $100 over this argument :rolaugh:.

still in debate in my book..... :eater:

May just be bass ackwords eastcoast crap.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You forgot the most important thing of all the PBA card or STFA Sticker complete with the troopers badge number that gave it to you.In NJ if your lucky enough to get one of those you would not believe the pull it has since one Trooper will do everything in his power not to write another troopers friend or family member (provided they are polite ect ).

We have plate frames here that have Metro police radio band code on the top that work as "I'm a cop or cop relative" I had one years ago but it broke in an accident and I couldn't get my hands on another one. I had a friend on the force that became "my aunt 'Sargent' Kozimedes" worked great:2tu:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have plate frames here that have Metro police radio band code on the top that work as "I'm a cop or cop relative" I had one years ago but it broke in an accident and I couldn't get my hands on another one. I had a friend on the force that became "my aunt 'Sargent' Kozimedes" worked great:2tu:
In NJ (as i previosly mentioned )the local cops give out PBA cards (of which there are different levels (regular cop,chief of police ,two hundred club.)The state police are not cops but Troopers(elite qualifications ect )and give out STFA stickers which are few and far between .Interestingly enough local cops sometimes do not honor PBA cards or STFA stickers Troopers sometimes do not honor PBA cards but ALMOST AlWAYS will honor an STFA sticker given by a fellow Trooper.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow interesting read. im a federal police officer in hawaii. we do things a little differantly than the city police but heres my two sense. we dont give tickets for out of state cars with no plate or tint. im sure we could but none us do since most of the time its a military member or someone who just moved here.

writing speeding tickets saves lives. i work at knight from 10 till 6 and only have around 20 miles of jurisdiction in roads that just anyone can drive on. not counting all the military installations ect. in that little 20 miles of road with a speed limit of 40 i have caught many doing 55 to 80 mph and seen the acidents. seeing a young child hurt by a speeder is just as bad as the drug dealers ect. except speeders seem to hurt more people than some of the 'real crimes' imho.

i dont know how cops do it in your states but we write tickets till we get a call for srvice. so if im writing a ticket and theres a domestic violance call ill let that person go with a warning and get to the house.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow interesting read. im a federal police officer in hawaii. we do things a little differantly than the city police but heres my two sense. we dont give tickets for out of state cars with no plate or tint. im sure we could but none us do since most of the time its a military member or someone who just moved here.

writing speeding tickets saves lives. i work at knight from 10 till 6 and only have around 20 miles of jurisdiction in roads that just anyone can drive on. not counting all the military installations ect. in that little 20 miles of road with a speed limit of 40 i have caught many doing 55 to 80 mph and seen the acidents. seeing a young child hurt by a speeder is just as bad as the drug dealers ect. except speeders seem to hurt more people than some of the 'real crimes' imho.

i dont know how cops do it in your states but we write tickets till we get a call for srvice. so if im writing a ticket and theres a domestic violance call ill let that person go with a warning and get to the house.
Definately a different mentality out here- alot of it has to do with the population concentration which is unlike any other place in the country Safety wise its is imperative for our police to be able to see into the car they are pulling over(tint is a big no no).Of coarse the other mitigating factor is the LARGE amounts of revenue the STATE AND LOCAL TOWNS make from tickets involving both moving and non moving violations.Talking on the cellphone while driving for example is a 125-175 dollar ticket out here.

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All of you guys and gals saying that vehicle code laws in State B must be adhered to or else while visiting or passing thru, regardless if you are from State A where such laws do not apply and you are legal are wrong.

Plates, tint, etc are great arguments however.......

Someone mentioned that if their DMV only gives out ONE plate and your travel to another state that hands out TWO plates and expects two plates or visitors will be found guilty is also wrong. The state that enforces the two plate law cannot reasonably expect visitors from one plate states to have a facsimile of their plate and mount it on the front of the vehicle to satisfy the law, IF the person is passing thru or JUST visiting.

That's unreasonable and any sane judge would toss that one out.

Now, to take this little discussion to a whole 'nother level.

Different states have different emissions laws and different expectations when it comes to "inspection"

Cars used to be sold as rest of the usa state models, and California had their own "emissions tweaks" REQUIRED by the state to run a motor vehicle (or even import one from another state). That is California STATE LAW.

So all of you people who are saying that a person is screwed because they have a vehicle ill equipped to comply with laws laid down by the state they are visiting or driving thru, would make ALL THE PEOPLE who own out of state cars that are not California emissions compliant illegal, based on the logic presented in this thread and subject to breaking CARB compliance. (a hefty fine and a trip to the state referee for inspection)

Am I missing something?

Another example:

Say a place doesn't require catalytic converters for emissions.

I drive this car (which is legal in my state), to California to visit my Mom.

I don't have to equip the vehicle with cats (or mufflers, or whatever is legal in MY home state) before I cross the border.

If this were the case, you would have businesses/checkpoints set up at state lines to ensure vehicle compliance, just like they have the agricultural station between Nevada and California that every vehicle has to pass thru.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of you guys and gals saying that vehicle code laws in State B must be adhered to or else while visiting or passing thru, regardless if you are from State A where such laws do not apply and you are legal are wrong.

Plates, tint, etc are great arguments however.......

Someone mentioned that if their DMV only gives out ONE plate and your travel to another state that hands out TWO plates and expects two plates or visitors will be found guilty is also wrong. The state that enforces the two plate law cannot reasonably expect visitors from one plate states to have a facsimile of their plate and mount it on the front of the vehicle to satisfy the law, IF the person is passing thru or JUST visiting.

That's unreasonable and any sane judge would toss that one out.

Now, to take this little discussion to a whole 'nother level.

Different states have different emissions laws and different expectations when it comes to "inspection"

Cars used to be sold as rest of the usa state models, and California had their own "emissions tweaks" REQUIRED by the state to run a motor vehicle (or even import one from another state). That is California STATE LAW.

So all of you people who are saying that a person is screwed because they have a vehicle ill equipped to comply with laws laid down by the state they are visiting or driving thru, would make ALL THE PEOPLE who own out of state cars that are not California emissions compliant illegal, based on the logic presented in this thread and subject to breaking CARB compliance. (a hefty fine and a trip to the state referee for inspection)

Am I missing something?

Another example:

Say a place doesn't require catalytic converters for emissions.

I drive this car (which is legal in my state), to California to visit my Mom.

I don't have to equip the vehicle with cats (or mufflers, or whatever is legal in MY home state) before I cross the border.

If this were the case, you would have businesses/checkpoints set up at state lines to ensure vehicle compliance, just like they have the agricultural station between Nevada and California that every vehicle has to pass thru.
The violation has to be obvious to the cop thats stopping you -its that simple.If the law is obviously being broken in the state your in you MAY (depending on the cops disgression get a ticket.)Take running open header for example, you come thru NJ open header and a cop hears it they could give a RATS ASS if thats legal in the state your from you will get penned out or if hes in a bad mood the car impounded .As far as going in front of a judge -window tint ect (under the proposition that its legal in the state your from )you got no shot because its not legal here .Court appearances in NJ happen weeks or so after the tickets are issued (defendent has to come back into the state ).They are going to drag the cop in off the road to a backlogged courtroom where there may be a few hundred people over a WINDOW TINT ISSUE.The cop (who most likley has been before the judge hundreds of times over the years & knows him personally )is going to say your honor i also noticed him (defendent )careless driving and did not cite him on that issue ect ect ect .The judge is going to get pissed for wasting the courts time esp since the cop let you go on the careless.Meanwhile hes got 50 cases to hear after this from idiots that got caught drunk driving for the 3 time ect .Should i go on.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate front plates on a sports car. I'm glad Florida don't require them. Cops definitely seem to be writing more tickets these days.

Steve17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An interesting thread to read, but I live and work in PA (1 plate) and have been traveling in and out of most of NJ (2 Plates) and many other states for 25 years with many different cars and commercial trucks and have never been stopped or questioned about front plates. This includes many mandatory DOT truck inspection check points with officers that seem to know vehicles, the law, and revenue generation very very well. Wether really technically legal or not, after reading these posts, I still do not think I will spend any time trying to get any second plates.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An interesting thread to read, but I live and work in PA (1 plate) and have been traveling in and out of most of NJ (2 Plates) and many other states for 25 years with many different cars and commercial trucks and have never been stopped or questioned about front plates. This includes many mandatory DOT truck inspection check points with officers that seem to know vehicles, the law, and revenue generation very very well. Wether really technically legal or not, after reading these posts, I still do not think I will spend any time trying to get any second plates.
There are just so many reasons why people get stopped for non moving violations and others dont .Drivers record ,profile ,is the cop bored ect .When my cousen was a young, single Trooper (stationed in the Holmdel Parkway =Exit 114 )all of his buddys loved to work the 6-2 shift during the summer months because every girl from North Jersey was on her way to the beach on the weekends .Cant tell you how many of those girls got pulled over JUST to get checked out -easy pick up.LOL.

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO front plates = no radar for the police. I got a ticket and had to put one on my 02rt10. Looks good actually!

Radar needs a plate on the front I believe.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO front plates = no radar for the police. I got a ticket and had to put one on my 02rt10. Looks good actually!

Its not for radar its simply for ID purposes.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You may be thinking photo radar which needs the plates for ID purposes.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, the amount of speculation, disinformation, and pure opinion on this thread is now at Vipair levels.
Its just too funny( as i previously posted and i cant speak for other states )in NJ we have something like 8.5 MILLION people in a state you can drive thru north to south in 3 hours east to west in one hour for some of these people to even think(besides the legality issue ) a cop or Trooper is going to take the time to check out if something is legal in another state is nuts =they dont care .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen