Solution to insurance companies lowballing value is...

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update on Grundy:

Well, it looks like Nicole may have been more correct in her interpretation. I quote directly from the Grundy contract, which clarifies the website's, in my opinion, slightly misleading statement that this policy is good for unlimited pleasure driving.

"It is understood that Physical Damage Coverage (collision and/or comprehensive coverage) will NOT apply specifically for use other than exhibition, club activities, parades or other functions of PUBLIC interest. Non-covered uses include but are not limited to driving to work, school, errands, general transportation, secondary or back-up transportation, business or commercial purposes. Coverages will not apply if the vehicle is used for racing, rallying or the participation in any speed contest, or timed competitive event."

After checking with my attorney, he concurred... this plan will not cover going out for dinner in town, nor will it cover a "leisurely drive" for the sake of just driving. With that advice in hand, I will gladly pay a premium in order to drive my car whenever I want to
smile.gif

Mountainwolf - I tried you at the number you left at my office, but couldn't get through. I will try again this week. I'm curious to know who told your agent that a drive around town would be covered!

MOUNTAINWOLF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Achilles, nice to talk with you. Call me back, I have more info for you. Basically, the language in the contract makes the coverage sound more strict than it really is. Grundy says that they are even thinking of updating the verbage in the contract to clarify. Bottom line, if you are driving for pleasure wheather in town, out of town, wherever you may roam, you are covered, as long as you using the car for leisure, not transportation.(yes you may go out to dinner & still be covered)

OP
OP
Reaction score
Achilles99 - The problem as I see it, "is you are talking with several women at Grundy that are not knowledgable about the details of the policy". Grundy (and the women answering the phone there) are merely an independent agency selling "CHUBB'S" insurance policy. CHUBB makes ALL determinations for coverage,.. "NOT THE WOMEN AT GRUNDY".

Not withstanding all the opinions you and others have posted here as to what/when coverage is/isn't allowed....

I have had "CHUBB Classic" insurance for many years. I've made claims. All were covered, no problem (as long as you're not stupid enough to say your driving to work). CHUBB has bent over backward to satisfy me. They have particular adjusters that only handle "Classic" claims.

Bottom line - These are my experiences with CHUBB!. I wish they would insure all my cars (daily drivers) under this policy. You can drive your car 100,000 miles a year anywhere you like as long as it is for "pleasure".

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul,

Thanks for the clarification on Chubb. Do you happen to have a copy of the contract you have that you could fax me? I'd love to compare it to the one I have. Call me paranoid, but when it comes down to it, the only thing any of us have legally is the contract. I wish Grundy WOULD change the wording... it would make me feel a WHOLE lot better!

Mountainwolf,

I'll give you another call when I get back to the office on the 2nd. I'd LOVE to save over a grand on car insurance with Grundy, if it all checks out!

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without beating a dead horse (if you want to, run a search on Grundy), I'll sum up my findings on them:
I considered Grundy, and was amazed at their prices. However, I had my attorney look at their service contract, and decided against it. While I have no doubt that people have had successful claims, the contract says without question that you must be attending or heading to a car exhibition of PUBLIC interest.

So, I decided not to chance it. My attorney said this to help me reach my conclusion: if by some chance Grundy (or the underwriter, whoever it may be) found themselves paying out too many claims, they could legally refuse to pay my claim if I was driving around town, even on a "pleasure trip."

To put icing on the cake, the insurer (Grundy and the underwriter) even admitted that they were thinking about changing the wording of their own contract to make it seem less strict. Well, until they do... buyer beware, and realize that in the end, all you have is the legal contract. A judge won't care that claims were paid in the past... he'll see that the explicit wording for the contract allows them to refuse any item that wasn't part of a "PUBLIC" gathering. Call me paranoid... I call myself prudent.