some cops plain ****...

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok, first off, let me just state that I'm not one of those people that runs red lights.

So anyway, a few days ago I'm driving home from work, and I am about the 8th car back from the stop light which intersects with Rt 1. I should point out that the road I am on unfortunately has a very short green and an even shorter yellow.

In fact, I timed the yellow and it is just less than 3 seconds. I think I may have some legal standing since the yellow is <3 seconds. If you know, let me know.

On top of that, it takes a VERY long time before this side road gets another green, so I really didn't want to wait another turn at the light.

In any event, the light turns green, about 6 cars make it through before it changes yellow. The 7th car (the one in front of me) has his right-turn signal on and appears to be going thru the yellow. Not wanting to wait 5 minutes before the next green light and knowing he has to slow down to make the sharp 90 degree turn, I decided to go around him by switching to the left lane, which is a left-turn only.

However, I should point out that there was no cars in my rear view and side mirror. So I didn't think it was a big deal to go into the "left turn only" lane just for a second to try and make it around the car in front of me which was braking to make his right turn. Sure, I probably should have stopped at the yellow, but like I said, this is a very long light, and I knew all the cars on the opposite side (Route 1) were all stopped. So there was no chance of a collision.

I don't know when it turned red, but I know I was looking at the light and it was not red until at least I was in the middle of the interestion. I may have even made it the whole way before it turned red. I don't know.

Since I knew it was a "close call", I checked my rear view mirror to make sure no cops saw me going thru the light.

Sure enough I see this car like "a bat outta hell" swoop around several other cars, nearly hitting another car, and then of course the lights came on. You'd think he was chasing some murderer or something.

Anyhoo the officer gave me 2 infractions:
1) Running a red light
2) Disobeying a traffic control signal, i.e. ignoring the white painted arrow for "Left turn only".

I told the cop it was yellow, but he wouldn't budge. Ok, I can see him giving me a ticket for running the light, even if it was a "close call". But c'mon, disobeying a traffic control signal?

So all those times that a car was broken down on my side of the road and I crossed the double-yellow lines to go around, I was also breaking the law? Or what about all the times someone is making a right hand turn, the opposite lane is clear and I went around him and quickly crossed the center divider for just a sec? Is that illegal as well?

Fine, give me the "running a red light" ticket, but I'm still peeved about the other infraction.

So any Connecticut lawyers here? I'm going to be fighting this in court. I was going to videotape the light and show that the yellow light was <3 seconds. Unfortunately, I recall the courts don't allow any videocameras into the court. So I don't know how to admit this into evidence.

Does anyone know where I can find any statutes for the minimum number of seconds a yellow light has to be? I tried the CT Transportation site. No luck.

I found this site, but it's Virginia, not Connecticut law: http://www.mcquigg.com/amber.htm

Check out the formula they use:

Yellow Light Change Interval = t + V/(2a ± 64.4g)

where:
- yellow change interval = the length of the yellow phase and is expressed in seconds.
- t = the perception reaction time expressed in seconds. This is 1 second unless the engineer responsible determines that the situation warrants increasing it to 1.5 seconds.
- V = the posted speed expressed in feet/second.
- a = the deceleration rate expressed in feet/second2. This should be 10 ft/sec2 under typical conditions. Engineers may decrease this to 8 or 9 feet/second2 if conditions warrant such as heavy truck traffic or increase to 11 or 12 feet/second2 if warranted.
- g= the grade of approach (percent/100); use + for a positive grade and – for a negative grade
- minimum yellow time should be 3 seconds and the maximum should be 6 seconds.

what do ya'll suggest to fight this? Is it worth a lawyer? I'd hate to get points for this crap and affect my insurance.

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just make sure you break that law about crossing the yellow line when you going down the highway and a officer that has someone pulled over for some B.S. sticks his you know what out into traffic. You would think that in that case you should come to a complete stop until the officer corrects his position, BUT, God help you then, he'd probably arrest you for that or worse shoot first ask ?'s later...

This org should have to take a personality test before they deal with deal with "customers".

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viperct2001, if you did all that in a Viper, I think you were already a target. Cops don't pay much attention to normal cars unless they are watching a problem area.

You should definetly fight the ticket, through an attorney or by yourself. Got to fight it, oherwise you have no chance of a dismissal.

Next time you see YELLOW, remember, it means 'prepare to stop' and NOT 'gun the gas'

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just think about the pig the next time you file your tax return.
That's your moment of glory
wink.gif

Tommy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by viperct2001:

Anyhoo the officer gave me 2 infractions:
1) Running a red light
2) Disobeying a traffic control signal, i.e. ignoring the white painted arrow for "Left turn only".
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a jacka$$
rolleyes.gif

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Tommy on 11-26-2002 at 08:14 PM</font>

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So who died? Was there an accident? Somebody got killed? No, no and no? Then he should have just given you a warning. The pigs are outta control.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
viperct2001,
Sorry to hear about that. Some cops are just *******s that love to harrass honest citizens that drive expensive cars. I have a story that I was not going to relate, however, after seeing yours I'm again ********** about my experience.
Last week went to lunch at ******* with a former business collegue. I parked (backed in) next to a handicapped spot and my right rear tire was just over the line in the handicapped spot. In addition to that handicapped spot there are three more with no cars in them. Grapevine pig drives through the parking lot and parks around side of building out of sight. Next thing I know he is standing behind my car giving me a ticket for parking in a handicapped spot. I offer to move the car over to get the rear wheel over but he says no I'm getting a ticket. I proceed to read him the riot act, call him a **** ( as did everyone else in ******* ). Tell him he's just a small person that wants to get back at people that have expensive cars etc. etc.. He calls for two more cops who show up and arrest me for disorderly conduct Class "C". Take me away in handcuffs. My friend moves my car over and follows me to pig station and bails me out. ******* manager gave us a free lunch when we returned. I stayed all afternoon and drank beer to try and chill out. Then went to local biker bar and drank burbon until 12am. Those Harley guys are cool and like VIPERS and I had some good fun. Took a few of them for rides including a few biker chicks. Got pulled over going home at 3am again by Grapevine pigs. Cop said I changed lanes without signaling. BS it's 3am no other cars in sight on the entire road in any direction to give a signal to. I just state that and give him my license and he lets me go after additional B.S. questioning. Note at this point I am not drunk as I stopped drinking burbon at 12 and stayed until closing at 2am and drank coffee and water for the last two hours. VIPER drivers do not get fairly treated by some of the police...period! Like everything else you've got your good police and your ******* police. Not to worry what goes around comes around and I'm sure the pig that ticketed and arrested me has a pretty ****** life in comparison which is well deserved.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperin Ct - wow, sounds like a low crime area down there. Word to the wise, if you're ever up this was make sure you drive like grandma or you'll get a ticket in Wallingford. Of course, we have an ******* chief who really DOES rate his officers based on # of tickets and revenue brought in for the state. Sick world, huh? Conversely, if you go up on the Turnpike for fun sometime..... you can probably get away with a lot. In general, the cops up there like the domestic cars and mostly ticket the import kids who are just speeding pretending they have a powerful car.

***** about the ticket.

Devildog - btdt, my condolences. We all need friends on the force so we can have a get out of jail free card.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In NYS the law states that you need to be completely out of the intersection by the time the light turns red. If it's the same in CT, be mindful of that with your excuses.

My only advice is, for that many points, I'd bite the bullet and hire an attorney.

Good Luck!

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to relate a good cop story. First-- I'm on your side- most are arrogant losers. Driving through Montgomery Ala- got pulled over. Cop said another motorist reported we were doing 130 and weaving. Two more Montgomery county cops show up, run my license-- no problems. The last officer, the luetenant sp?, starts talking about how his son would love to see this car, etc. Tell us to go on our way, thanks etc. He leans in car, says"go ahead and mash it we won't do anything" My wifes says, they're gonna give ya a ticket. Nope-- did a nice squirrely burn out and waved. No problem at all- just another funny story. Oh yeh-- my viper has a purple heart tag-- might've helped. Have another gooooood story for another time.

SCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hire one of the law firms that specialize in traffic tickets and let them fight it for you...The cost is minimal and you don't need to waste your time in court in which the judge will probably rule against you anyway...We have a firm here in Florida called the Ticket clinic, anytime anyone in my family gets a ticket we have them handle it...The results have always turned out quite favorable...The worst thing you can do is just pay the ticket and take the points...Eventually your insurance will hit you for it...

dancojax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before God took the privaledge from me, I was a lawyer.
Not a nice situation, but:
HIRE A LAWYER WHO IS FAMILIAR WITH THE COURT TO WHICH YOU WERE CITED.
Much better for your insurance and your record., He/She can negociate a deal which does not show on your record adding points and costing more insurance.
Sincerely, a good investment.
good luck
dec

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
67 Stingray cracks me up... easy for you to say Pat, when YOU get stopped they let you go... "professional courtesy" after you show them your badge, right? Chicago detective indeed. Chicago cops, don't get me started, I lived in chicago.
p.s. you spelled whinning wrong.
p.p.s. You also spelled your state incorrectly. I hope you write better when you do official police paperwork.
----------------
"I think that if you are in the passing lane, and not passing, your license should be revoked, and you should be forced to ride the bus until you promise to never delay the rest of us again." .. George Carlin

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Lee00blacksilverGTS on 11-27-2002 at 11:06 PM</font>

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lee00blacksilverGTS:
67 Stingray cracks me up... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too! Talk about whiners. "Boo hoo, we don’t get paid enough," "boo hoo, nobody respects us," "boo hoo they call us pigs."

Corrupt, self-serving, arrogant, ignorant, judgmental, insecure, jackasses.

Like we really needed another 100,000 of these N*zis hiding in the bushes risking their lives issuing traffic citations. Yeah, real heros.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding paying for a lawyer for traffic court, consider the following:

1) Paying the lawyer is virtually like paying the judge. They are most likely both lawyers and hence in the same profession.

2) The judge wants the lawyers to prosper. If people don't go to court, the judge has no job. Therefore, what they want is for you to go to court and pay a lawyer. That supports their system.

3) The bigger the lawyer or law firm the more important it is that they are successful in court because if they are less successful, their business will suffer.

While some may complain about this "racketeering," just remember, if these BS laws were taken seriously by the judicial system, we would all be in deep doo doo.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
Me too! Talk about whiners. "Boo hoo, we don’t get paid enough," "boo hoo, nobody respects us," "boo hoo they call us pigs."

Corrupt, self-serving, arrogant, ignorant, judgmental, insecure, jackasses.

Like we really needed another 100,000 of these N*zis hiding in the bushes risking their lives issuing traffic citations. Yeah, real heros.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DITTO! Cops reap what they sow. You want to give me B.S. tickets and arrest then don't expect any support or respect from me! I won't buy any ZAINO from you either! Get a real full time job instead of riding around all day impersonating one of the Village People!

67StingRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DEVILDOG
You should really seek help.

You can buy Zaino from anyone you like, I really do not need your business nor do I wan't it.

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZX1100:
Pat can't be all that bad. He did get rid of his 67Stingray for a Viper
yesnod.gif

Only hassled once so far. I was parked eating some fast food at Taco Bell when a cop went through the drive thru. I noticed him looking at me but I continued eating. After about 15 minutes I go to pull out and I notice him sitting across the street and pulls out as soon as I do. He follows me for a few miles so I made sure I did everything correct. Lights go on after I change lanes. Tried to tell me I changed lanes without using my signal which I told him I used my signals since I knew he was behind me. He let me go but not after playing 20 questions
pissed.gif
What do you do? Where do you work? What are you doing out this way? Where are you headed? blah blah blah...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is harassment and if I were you, I would not let such an action slide by.

I would take the time to report this ENTIRE incident to, first the department head that pulled me over, then write to the city council members, and to every public official that I can get a contact for.

If you don't let the authorities know than we all loose in the end.

You have to let the elected officials in your area know what is happening to hard earned tax dollors.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: the purple heart on the plate.

That DOES work - and God bless you for getting it in the 1st place! But I know a lot of guys who run Veteran plates who really aren't Veterans. If you were shot at, saw combat, a hot LZ, or experienced an RPG attack? Ok, that works - you put it on the line. But if you served during a conflict, but were on the other side of the world fighting the Battle of VD on the French Riviera? That DOES NOT FLY with me. But a cop doesn't know your life history, so any markings on the plate might get you out.

I'm not a veteran, and certainly no purple heart awardee, but I've had a flag sticker on my truck for years before it was popular after 9/11 and two other little stickers representing wings - and I don't mean Harley-Davidson! They worked to my advantage once.

Also of note - tell me how backwards this is - I have a 500hp Camaro and a flashy/loud '00 Corvette. The Vette has been my daily for almost 3 years. The Camaro is a weekend and summer toy that gets attention wherever it goes because of the monster cam and exhaust. Two high-profile cars in terms of getting negative attention. I've gotten two tickets in the past 3-4 years and both of them were in my truck. I NEVER drive my truck! I must drive about 40k/year between my cars and the truck probably only sees 3 of those, but I still got two tickets in it. What is up with that?

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pat can't be all that bad. He did get rid of his 67Stingray for a Viper
yesnod.gif

Only hassled once so far. I was parked eating some fast food at Taco Bell when a cop went through the drive thru. I noticed him looking at me but I continued eating. After about 15 minutes I go to pull out and I notice him sitting across the street and pulls out as soon as I do. He follows me for a few miles so I made sure I did everything correct. Lights go on after I change lanes. Tried to tell me I changed lanes without using my signal which I told him I used my signals since I knew he was behind me. He let me go but not after playing 20 questions
pissed.gif
What do you do? Where do you work? What are you doing out this way? Where are you headed? blah blah blah...

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by picflight:
This is harassment and if I were you, I would not let such an action slide by.

I would take the time to report this ENTIRE incident to, first the department head that pulled me over, then write to the city council members, and to every public official that I can get a contact for.

If you don't let the authorities know than we all loose in the end.

You have to let the elected officials in your area know what is happening to hard earned tax dollors.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that you mention it that way I should have reported it
pissed.gif
I was just thinking how lucky I was not to get a ticket at the time.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 67StingRay:
DEVILDOG
You should really seek help.

You can buy Zaino from anyone you like, I really do not need your business nor do I wan't it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO we just need to not allow the stupid, jealous, small minded power hungry loosers to be cops in AMERICA. I don't wan't your Zanio whatever wan't means.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine