Spark plug gapping. Gen I

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to order new wires from Adam, and will be replacing spark plugs as well. The problem is that I already bought the plugs and had a chance to drop them. :(. They fell on to the electrode side of the plug, and now the gaps are all off. And on one of the plugs that got hit, side and inner electrodes are touching now. I am not sure what I was thinking when I got those, but I got the "Double Platinum" Champion plugs. My question now, should I get the new ones, or I could gap them? It wouldn't be an issue, but they were $10.50/ plug, and I don’t feel like throwing them out. Is there a specific or best way to gap them? What is the best gapping? How important is correct gapping?

Thank in advance

Dave98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that you cannot gap platinum tip plugs.:nono: I am sure that others will chime in, but to my knowledge you cannot gap these plugs.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OEM plugs are more than fine for a viper

what dave said is what i have always heard, did a quick google search and it seems to be fact.

Reaction score
Never install a dropped spark plug. I know they were expensive although you may be asking for trouble. You may have cracked internal parts as well as the porcelain or center electrode falling out into the cylinder.

And Plum is correct - I would use the Champion RC12LYC, gap @ .035"

Good Luck!

:usa:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang