Spark plugs? Recommendations?

Reaction score
General consensus is that nothing works better than the stock RC12LYC Champion plugs, unless you have detonation problems, in which case you might try a cooler NGK FR5-1. I like to change mine about every 8 to 10 thousand miles. I can Get Champions usually for about a dollar each. Platinum aren't worth the expense, and some say they are incompatible with the coil packs used on the viper ignition. Gap your plugs .033 to .038. and use anti-seize on the threads as you are dealing with aluminum. You will be surprised what a difference regular spark plug changes make. Be sure and check your ignition wires for deterioration, and replace them if needed.

Todd Richmond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do NOT buy the Bosch +4s! I ripped out the set that previous owner had just put in and most of my cold driving problems went away. Stick with the standard Champions copper plugs at a whopping $1.50 or so each
smile.gif
15K is definitely time to swap plugs and you should look into the air filter at the same time. If the previous owner did not change brake, diff and antifreeze, your are in for a little bigger project.

Plan on an hour or so for the set of 10. The left side is a breeze, but the right is very tight and you will probably have to loosen the black rail attached to the valve cover. My car has aftermarket plug wires that are difficult to seat properly, but hopefully the stock ones are easier.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
yep..stay with stock plugs! Even the famous Doug Levin told me so....and he's right.

I too heard that the plat are not good for the Viper. I don't have first hand experience, but not going to take a chance either.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Todd Richmond:
Plan on an hour or so for the set of 10. The left side is a breeze, but the right is very tight and you will probably have to loosen the black rail attached to the valve cover.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The right side is as easy as the left if you first remove the black plastic canister from the A/C inlet. I learned this after I changed my plugs!
frown.gif

2kviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am getting ready to change out the spark plugs on my 2000 r/t. first time i've done this. 14.5k miles. just got it a month ago, so i figure it's time.

any tricks, help or how to's would be much appreciated... thx.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remove the plastic AC inlet box, remove the windshield wipers and then remove the black plastic cowl underneath the wipers. Helps if you have a plug wire puller.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The right side is as easy as the left if you first remove the black plastic canister from the A/C inlet. I learned this after I changed my plugs!

Like Bob says, removing the A/C canister makes things a whole lot easier and only takes a couple minutes to do. Stick with the stock Champions, gap at .035 and torque to 18 ft.lbs. As low cost as the stock plugs are, just replace everytime you change the oil. :cool:

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use something soft like a wooden spoon and pop the cap off at the rear of the wiper. Remove nut underneath and mark wiper to stud alignment. Without removing the line connected to the wiper, pop it off and set it aside on the windshield. Taping it down helps.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using the search feature would yeild info like this:

Champion “Regular Class” - Traditional #RC12LYC (what’s in there from Mopar) Ain't nuttin better for normally aspirated snakes.

Champion “Super Class” - Single Platinum #3034
Platinum center electrode, resistor plug, 14mm, 3/4" reach, 5/8" hex head, .290 core nose projection, copper core. **

Champion “Premium Class” - Premium Gold #2412
Gold Paladium performance plug, resistor plug, 18mm, .460" reach, taper seat, 13/16" hex head, extended electrode gap &amp; core nose projection. **
Gold palladium - Gold is an excellent conductor of electricity, which makes it well suited for a performance plug. However gold is also a very soft metal, therefore the gold alloy is mixed with palladium, (a much harder metal), to form a premium fine wire performance plug with increased ignitability and durability.

Autolite Single Platinum #AP985 **

Autolite Double Platinum #APP985 **

Bosch PLATINUM #4203 **

Bosch PLATINUM+2 #4308 **

Bosch PLATINUM+4 #4428 **

Bosch SUPER PLUG #FR9HC **

Denso 5018 QJ16HR-U

GAP .035

** It is still NOT suggested that platinum plugs be used on vehicles with nitrous injection (from Champions website)
There have been instances where the platinum tip has lost its bond to either the center or ground electrode when they were used in a motor with nitrous.

The spark plug can help maintain the optimum combustion chamber temperature. The primary method used to do this is by altering the internal length of the core nose, in addition, the alloy compositions in the electrodes can be changed. This means you may not be able to visually tell a difference between heat ranges. When a spark plug is referred to as a “cold plug”, it is one that transfers heat rapidly from the firing tip into the engine head, which keeps the firing tip cooler. A “hot plug” has a much slower rate of heat transfer, which keeps the firing tip hotter.

An unaltered engine will run within the optimum operating range straight from the manufacturer, but if you make modifications such as a turbo, supercharger, increase compression, timing changes, use of alternate racing fuels, or sustained use of nitrous oxide, these can alter the plug tip temperature and may necessitate a colder plug. A rule of thumb is, one heat range colder per modification or one heat range colder for every 75–100hp you increase. In identical spark plug types, the difference from one full heat range to the next is the ability to remove 70°C to 100°C from the combustion chamber.

The heat range numbers used by spark plug manufacturers are not universal, by that we mean, a 10 heat range in Champion is not the same as a 10 heat range in NGK nor the same in Autolite. Some manufacturers numbering systems are opposite the other, for domestic manufacturers (Champion, Autolite, Splitfire), the higher the number, the hotter the plug.
For Japanese manufacturers (NGK, Denso), the higher the number, the colder the plug.

Remember, CHAMPION PLUGS GET HOTTER THE HIGHER THE NUMBER, COLDER THE LOWER THE NUMBER.

Say you are starting with a RCJ7Y
if you want a COLDER plug, you would use RCJ6Y
if you want a HOTTER plug, you would use RCJ8Y

http://www.championsparkplugs.com/sparkplug411_champion.asp

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock Champion #RC12LYC .
Get them at Schucks, Auto Zone or what have you.
Cheap $.99 (99 cents), You can change them often if you like.
Later,