Spring Powder Coating Fling!

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With everyone keeping their money close to home (save for the automaker CEOs that need to re-fuel private planes to fly home on the weekends), I've found a nice way to upgrade the vehicle a little while still being careful with the cash: powder coating!
It's pretty easy on the wallet (compared to twin-hairdryer or uber-charger rigs), and adds value by protecting the part/component.

Here's a quick preview of what got installed this afternoon:

You must be registered for see images attach

WooHoo!
MASSIVE props go to the VCA member who scored me that throttle body! Thanks again!

DIY articles are coming for the rear sway bar, diff. cover, and CalTracs, all of which were powder coated.
(Diff. fluid cooler could happen too....maybe. If you guys are nice. LOL)

Powder coating was done by JMB Performance.
If it's not a dead-on match to the valve covers, it's really damn close.
Justin at JMB has great prices, awesome quality, insane turn around (1 week door-to-door for my van load of parts!), and he's an SRT-10 owner! Highly recommended.

More pics as the projects get completed.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome, the color looks great. Is that a stock throttle body? Once again great work Kevan. Looking forward to the DIY's.

OP
OP
K

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks!
Yes- it's a stock Gen. III TB.
I did a few touch ups to it before it went to JMB: Removed the "BM" from the idle stop bar, cleaned up the casting break lines, etc.
I'll explain more in the DIY article.

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know if you ever saw this, but it is my Ram SRT's engine that JMB helped me with. JMB does killer work.

Edit---They Powder Coated the Valve Covers, Intake, Hard Radiator Pipes (they also made these), and their own design for the Air filter and Oil Catch Can.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Passenger_side_engine_resize.jpg
    Passenger_side_engine_resize.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 536

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't know if you ever saw this, but it is my Ram SRT's engine that JMB helped me with. JMB does killer work.

Edit---They Powder Coated the Valve Covers, Intake, Hard Radiator Pipes (they also made these), and their own design for the Air filter and Oil Catch Can.

attachment.php

Nice picture of the engine bay of your Quad Cab! I have a Reg Cab, and was wondering what brand the headers are, and do you have alot of miles on them? The finish looks great and I was wondering if they are new or does the finish hold up that well?
Thanks

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice picture of the engine bay of your Quad Cab! I have a Reg Cab, and was wondering what brand the headers are, and do you have alot of miles on them? The finish looks great and I was wondering if they are new or does the finish hold up that well?
Thanks

Thanks,
That was a picture a few hundred miles after I had it put back together. They are Mopar headers, and they were ceramic coated and bead polished. They are guaranteed to 1400 degrees, as they have two coatings; a base coat and then the ceramic. The first finish didn't do so well as the truck was turbo charged and it was running lean. Add to that, I think dyno pulls are very ******* ceramic coatings due to the lack of air flow to cool off the engine (that was when the pretty shine turned to gray powder), especially with that turbo.

I can't answer as to how it has held up as I got rid of the truck....:(, but I did replace it with my 08 SSG. It did just fine for the couple thousand miles I drove it.

OP
OP
K

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn Lawrence! Looks great, but everyone's going to think I copied you. LOL
Well, at least I have all the braided lines and AN fittings to change it up a little. :)
I think I remember seeing your truck "back in the day". Looks(ed) awesome!

For headers & exhaust manifolds, I recommend Jet-Hot.
Keeps them much cooler than ceramic.

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn Lawrence! Looks great, but everyone's going to think I copied you. LOL
Well, at least I have all the braided lines and AN fittings to change it up a little. :)
I think I remember seeing your truck "back in the day". Looks(ed) awesome!

For headers & exhaust manifolds, I recommend Jet-Hot.
Keeps them much cooler than ceramic.

Thanks...jet-hot good, just not as pretty.

OP
OP
K

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove the truck around all afternoon. Everything is spec and it behaves just like the old TB....but redder. :D
No dyno runs yet, but I'd guess the powder coating is worth 8-12HP.

Thanks...jet-hot good, just not as pretty.
They have lots of colors and finishes now.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove the truck around all afternoon. Everything is spec and it behaves just like the old TB....but redder. :D
No dyno runs yet, but I'd guess the powder coating is worth 8-12HP.

They have lots of colors and finishes now.
Your kidding right?

OP
OP
K

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your kidding right?
Not at all!
I put a single NOS sticker on my mower and it went from 13HP up to 18HP, immediately!

I've heard of guys adding HKS or Sparco stickers to the fenders of their rides and gaining a good 20-25HP.
It's all over the Civic/Tiburon/STi forums. Haven't you read any of that stuff?
One guy installed an under-dash neon kit and talked about a 10HP gain straight out of the box!!!
Pretty amazing.....

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not at all!
I put a single NOS sticker on my mower and it went from 13HP up to 18HP, immediately!

I've heard of guys adding HKS or Sparco stickers to the fenders of their rides and gaining a good 20-25HP.
One guy installed an under-dash neon kit and talked about a 10HP gain straight out of the box!!!
Pretty amazing.....

:lmao::D :rolaugh:

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not at all!

Pretty amazing.....
That was good right there. :lmao::lmao:

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was told that 90% of the better handeling and ride that comes from doing a suspension upgrade comes from the MOTON decals alone. To confirm this I just placed a couple of decals in the trunk and knocked a full 3 seconds off my lap times. I heard I could get another 2 seconds if I applied them to the outside of the car. There has been no documentation, that I know of, if more then one set in the trunk or applied to the outside makes for improved handeling above the first set. I will try some variations of placement and report back to you!

OP
OP
K

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No surprise there, Jeff.
I've read posts about Supras and RX7s that have added a "BILSTEIN" sticker to the lower rear quarter panel picking up similar times....though not on a closed course nor with any safety personnel or equipment.

Apparently, if the appliqué is from a European company, the HP gain/time cut is considerably greater.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang