SRT/10 Two Thumbs UP!

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a feeling that many people who like the new Viper are not speaking out for fear of getting flamed. I encourage those in this silent MAJORITY to speak out.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK.

I'm not so much a silent majority, but will say it again. There is a group of folks that continue to squack about how bad the SRT is, usually in a VERY negative tone, and they never resist placing a "deposit" on any positively inspired new thread. I like what I see in the new SRT, and believe DC will enhance the aggressive looks to some degree, which is a good thing. It wouldn't matter to me anyway, as the picture of a silver one posted from the southwest some week or so ago is currently in vivid color adorning by office wall, so that each day I can enjoy it, awaiting its eventual arrival.

Any real silent ones out there??

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
I'm with Fred. I understand that the SRT is not for everyone, but I resent the insinutation that I bought the ugliest thing to come out of Detroit since the Edsel, and the insinuation that only a small group of people actually LIKE the SRT. Come on! The certs were GONE within days... and from what I understand, a LOT of those certs have turned into real orders.

Those who insist on ragging on the SRT aren't doing much to help the unity of the club, and I don't think they are eloquently making their case to Dodge. If you don't like it, offer constructive criticism like some others have, but to just blab on about how ugly the car is and how it's no Viper just spotlights you as a 'whiner'.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed...

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by garolittle:
I have a feeling that many people who like the new Viper are not speaking out for fear of getting flamed. I encourage those in this silent MAJORITY to speak out.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Confucius say "A closed mouth catches no flies"
smile.gif

I like the new SRT-10. It attempts to correct the "flaws" of the Gen II that go back to the original 92 Viper. Its a true convertible that will look awesome in black. I like open air sports cars so the GTS doesn't do it for me. My $.02
asthanos.gif

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, another silent one to speak. Is that a contradiction?
The style of the SRT did not have the same immediate impact on me as the RT/10 show car back in '89. I was in awe of the appearance at that time, however it was not until I took a test drive some 4 years later that I decided to buy one. It was the feel of the car and the performance that made the ultimate decision.

The SRT took a while for the style to grow on me. While at the Detroit auto show last year (and again this year), I spent quite a bit of time looking at it from many angles. I kept looking for what it was that struck me as odd. I am not sure that I know yet today. I think it is the angularity or sharpness of the side vent and the loss of the coke bottle curves. I then saw one on the street last summer at the Woodward cruise event (with many current Vipers in attendance). Without directly comparing it to the current style, the SRT had a strong attraction, making you want to keep looking it over. Maybe more so for the functional aspects of the style than before, but a strong sense of attraction none the less.

If the performance lives up to its billing there will be no question in my mind that it will draw the same level of attention. I believe it is the combination of rarity, style and performance that draws the attention today. The combination may have shifted but the sum total is going in a positive direction.
bounce.gif

I am and continue to be an open motoring type as well. There is nothing better than zipping along in beautiful weather with the sun and wind in your face. I appreciate the GTS as well but it does not give me the same feeling. I believe that most of the complainers are GTS owners as when I compare the SRT and the Comp Coupe I see the same car with and without the hardtop, along with some racing style effects on the coupe. Take off the effects and you have 2 versions of the same car, with only roof line differences.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bump!

This post needs to be above the thumbs down subject!

Keep up the good work Dodge and please continue to keep an open ear with the Viper Family.

MrLucky1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it is certainly a wonderful thing that this vehicle now has some folks singing it's praises (especially since only a thousand or so were anxious to get certificates.)

Actually, I have not visited here in a week or two, because you get tired of constantly seeing the nay-sayers.

All are entitled to their opinions, which is why there is chocolate and vanilla. However, some are rather strong in their criticism of a car which is destined to outperform nearly everything on the planet.

On a different note, I too agree that a recognition in some manner seems appropriate. Having recently toured the CAAP facility, it was apparent that these folks are truly in love with what they do.

Looking forward to VOI7.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Glad to see the others who like the 2003 post their views. The Viper has set the Sports Car performance Bar for the World. The platform is 10 years old and all of the High Performance Sports Car mfr are out to beat our beloved Snake. I love my GTS styling but there is a price for its beauty and that is wind resistance. More HP is great but without better aerodynamics the Viper would have a hard time staying King of The Hill. If you want to reduce the wind resistance the styling has to change.

F1/NASCAR look almost the same. Performance being the primary feature of the Viper a coupe needs to be part of the product future.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To All on this thread...

I own an '01 GTS...
I love the look and lines of the SRT-10...
I have ordered one and can't wait to get it in the garage...and on the road...

Thanks DC,

C Stegall

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I vote if we are going to throw a party we make a Viper event out of it. I think the idea is to hold it at the start of Production on the SRT10. That should be in the summer months- say July. Great exuse to take a ride, tour CAAP then party at Lelly's.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that we should have it after SRT production begins - I'd vote we shoot for late summer, as maybe my SRT will be built and I can check it out
smile.gif
Maybe August sometime? Great weather in Detroit around then.

I think we should get a banner, have everyone sign it AT VOI and deliver it to the guys at the end of VOI. Before that, in August, we should have a trip to CAAP and afterwards, we will take the guys of PVO out to Lelly's.

Who can arrange a CAAP trip and get some #'s on how many folks from PVO/CAAP would be up for it? Since CAAP tours are free, we could charge the folks who are going, say $100 (depending on who is going, and how many folks from CAAP/PVO will go to Lelly's, and how much $$'s Lellys is), and that money will pay for dinner and drinks at Lelly's for all.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
The book "DODGE VIPER" by Daniel E. Carney is great reading for Viperholics. It starts with the Viper concept and the final chapter is the SRT10.

SRT-10 owners will not be disappointed! This car will be King of The Hill!

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not buying a new Viper so my opinion means nothing but an opinion. When the Gen II Viper came out, I didn't like it for the simple fact the side pipes were gone along with the tough look from the back view. I thought the plain sides were aweful. I agree with everybody that says the Gen III is not the eye candy the earlier Vipers are. There's alot of people that are saying the looks aren't there like they should be, but look at that power. If that was the case in the first place, nobody here would have a Viper-we would all have modded Vettes. I think the vast majority of people who have Vipers bought them because of "The Look." I am not downplaying the new Viper but if it were up to me, I wouldn't have worried so much about aerodynamics. Build one BADA$$ road ripping women screaming for their children beast!!!!!!!

P.S.: I haven't seen one in person either. That could play a factor. And I don't know about anybody else but Dodge putting the Viper motor in a truck kills the Viper exclusivity especially for resale!

Dead President

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I am one of the silent few who also likes the new SRT-10. I have been on a waiting list for two years and when the voucher program was announced, I was fortunate to get mine in VERY EARLY at the largest Viper dealer. Tell me it doesn't matter and let's compare notes late in the year when the cars arrive. Red of course.

The new SRT-10 looks way better in person, photos do not do it justice. I wouldn't own a coupe. I did own a voucher 96 GTS, but found that I missed the convertible, so I now have a Blue/White 97 RT-10.

Who is worried the D-C won't sell all they can build this year?

Let the market speak for itself.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
The SRT10 will be my fifth (in late 95 I picked up my first viper a red 96RT, McViper-the best of the GENI's) new Viper purchase. To me the SRT10 is more exciting than getting my first GTS (97 blue and white, and a great car). My first Viper and second, kept me busy calling the Dodge 800 number following up on the status. The thrill of getting a new Viper is great.

Seeing the SRT10 at Laguna Seca last fall, reading the recent press reports from the magazines makes me fee like Christmas is coming early.