SRT10 Advice!

QPE51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am getting ready to buy my first Viper and decided I wanted a Gen 3. I was wondering what are some of the things I need to look for, when purchasing a Gen 3. I've done a lot of research, but I wanted to hear from real Viper owners. I've admired these cars for years and believe nothing can hold a candle to it! I appreciate any help with making the right decision and I know I've come to the right forum. Thank You

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I bet if you searched here you would find a bunch of info. I think we had the exact same question last week. Good luck in your search.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same process as buying any pre-owned vehicle. Check the VIN against Carfax and a Dodge service department for the service history. Get a Viper tech or find a competent Viper owner to do an inspection.

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not a lot of issues inherent with the Gen III. Occasional window regulator and clogged cat is all that comes to mind. If it's an '04, check the crank bolt to make sure it's not coming loose. As others have said, do your homework, get a Carfax with service history, etc.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything stated above. Once you find a specific car throw it up on here and let everyone see pictures etc. Be careful of the norm like scams etc. If it seems to good to be true it probably is.

Viper specific:

Do your research. I was also looking at Gen 3 but ended up buying a Gen 4. 505HP vs 600HP. Only downside is I can't mod anything but really have little desire (for now).

There is usually a Valid Viper tech, or Viper owner most places of the country and are usually more than happy to help you check out a car as many people buy cars from all over the country.

A HUGE piece of advice: Buy from a VCA member if you can. I did on my current Viper and it was the BEST experience and BEST car I have had to date! Let us know what year/color/mods/$$ your looking for and you never know what may surface around here!

Good Luck in your search!

-Tim

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having been 'the guy' that asked the questions already answered before...I'd like to help out. All of these experienced but not sure if they are ALL Gen III specific issues alone.
-Run Flats need to be changed ASAP. Best mod ever if you value life and limb.
-Window Regulators (can be very expensive to replace)
-HVAC issues like the blower motor and resistor. Not expensive to replace but damn my back still hurts.
-Battery. Just upgrade to the DieHard Platinum and be done with it.
-Stock Radio...surely I can't be the only one that has had it die. I know I'm not.

Things to think about, not sure your position but hey, just in case.
-Takes lots of oil
-Viper specific parts (windshield wiper blades, oil filter etc) so trips to the dealership are needed.
-HOT interior in a Gen III especially if you're in a southern state.
-Smarts above the shoulder so you don't kill yourself in the first week of ownership.

With that being said, it has been the most frustrating yet rewarding car I've ever owned. AND I'VE HAD ALL THE MOPARS OF NOTE. Probably need to say ALMOST all....definitely need to say that. HA!

Without a doubt, buy from a VCA member if possible. No stories is worth major $$ in the long run!

Hopefully this helps....???...

Scott

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
:headbang: If you purchase a "Modified" car, remember some Mods can make the car "a little less dependable ", :omg: if you plan to do a lot of driving. :drive: Also, will there be a shop locally that can do any repairs on a highly modified car, or have to be sent out of state ? There are a lot of good, knowledgable people on this site that always offer help. :2tu: Good Luck

OP
OP
Q

QPE51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Scott and everyone else this was exactly the information I was looking for, I live in Detroit so dealerships are very accessible, not looking for one with lots of Mods, just the basic CAI, exhaust, maybe a suspension kit.

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything stated above. Once you find a specific car throw it up on here and let everyone see pictures etc. Be careful of the norm like scams etc. If it seems to good to be true it probably is.

Viper specific:

Do your research. I was also looking at Gen 3 but ended up buying a Gen 4. 505HP vs 600HP. Only downside is I can't mod anything but really have little desire (for now).

There is usually a Valid Viper tech, or Viper owner most places of the country and are usually more than happy to help you check out a car as many people buy cars from all over the country.

A HUGE piece of advice: Buy from a VCA member if you can. I did on my current Viper and it was the BEST experience and BEST car I have had to date! Let us know what year/color/mods/$$ your looking for and you never know what may surface around here!

Good Luck in your search!

-Tim

Normally, I'd just let this 505HP thing fly by, but I've been seeing it a lot lately... so just to nit pick. The 505 on the air filter housing of a gen 3 does not represent a horsepower figure... It's cubic inch displacement.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you ever driven one, ANY Gen. Also be sure & join the club & you can get a few extra benefits. Just take your time & Be Patient (there's a good many of them for sale right now). You can Definitely learn ALOT from most of the guys on here. Good Luck! jmo

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Normally, I'd just let this 505HP thing fly by, but I've been seeing it a lot lately... so just to nit pick. The 505 on the air filter housing of a gen 3 does not represent a horsepower figure... It's cubic inch displacement.

Actually, it is the displacement, true. When the SAE standards were revised in 2006 for ALL cars, the 8.3 was re-rated at 510 horsepower. Nothing changed, just rated using the revised standards. Many American cars "gained" horsepower that year!

OP
OP
Q

QPE51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove a first gen and really enjoyed it, but for me the gen 3 offers better comfort.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So can a Gen III (03-06) be said to have 510hp, instead of 500hp? That would be a fair comparison against the 600hp Gen IV, correct? Basically a 90hp difference instead of 100hp.

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So can a Gen III (03-06) be said to have 510hp, instead of 500hp? That would be a fair comparison against the 600hp Gen IV, correct? Basically a 90hp difference instead of 100hp.
Also gen IV cars have drive by wire and no throttle cable like the gen III cars. Nice to have the extra hp, if you can afford it. With a few bolt on thing like K&N filters deleted cross overs and a flashed computer on a gen 3 and bbk throttle bodies you can gain some good ponies.

OP
OP
Q

QPE51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again I want to thank everyone for their input it has really helped in my search. I have read and learned a lot, I like the Gen 4, but the Gen 3 is more in my price range.

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I looked at Gen 3 and Gen 4's before I bought a Gen 3. Of course I plan on adding power, want to get to 4 digits.

SRT8&10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Having been 'the guy' that asked the questions already answered before...I'd like to help out. All of these experienced but not sure if they are ALL Gen III specific issues alone.
-Run Flats need to be changed ASAP. Best mod ever if you value life and limb.
-Window Regulators (can be very expensive to replace)
-HVAC issues like the blower motor and resistor. Not expensive to replace but damn my back still hurts.
-Battery. Just upgrade to the DieHard Platinum and be done with it.
-Stock Radio...surely I can't be the only one that has had it die. I know I'm not.

Things to think about, not sure your position but hey, just in case.
-Takes lots of oil
-Viper specific parts (windshield wiper blades, oil filter etc) so trips to the dealership are needed.
-HOT interior in a Gen III especially if you're in a southern state.
-Smarts above the shoulder so you don't kill yourself in the first week of ownership.

With that being said, it has been the most frustrating yet rewarding car I've ever owned. AND I'VE HAD ALL THE MOPARS OF NOTE. Probably need to say ALMOST all....definitely need to say that. HA!

Without a doubt, buy from a VCA member if possible. No stories is worth major $$ in the long run!

Hopefully this helps....???...

Scott

I agree on the runflats. Change them.
I did the battery ahead of time.
My stock radio works, but the cd changer does not.

As for the viper specific parts, you don't really need to go to the dealership, I just order mine from Viper Parts of America or Parts Rack, they come right to your door.
Everyone says how hot these cars are, but it is exagerated in my opinion. I live in Houston, and got my car in July of 2011, right in the middle of the hottest summer we have had in years. My car still has the stock crossover exhaust, and it really wasn't too bad. I wear jeans and polo's to work, and the car cooled down just fine within a few miles of the office, aside from along the doorsill, the cabin air itself cools down as well as my challenger.

I also second buying from a VCA member.

Also, remember to be careful with it. If you have never owned a powerful, light, rearwheel drive car without traction control, treat it with respect. And definitely take it to track days to get to know it and let it do what it was made to do.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone says how hot these cars are, but it is exagerated in my opinion. I live in Houston, and got my car in July of 2011, right in the middle of the hottest summer we have had in years. My car still has the stock crossover exhaust, and it really wasn't too bad. I wear jeans and polo's to work, and the car cooled down just fine within a few miles of the office, aside from along the doorsill, the cabin air itself cools down as well as my challenger.

I assume you are running the car with the AC on. Yes, with AC, it's not bad of course. But on a nice 75 degree day with the top down, AC off, you are nice and refreshed up top, but your feet are burning. Sometimes I run the AC down to the bottom vents only to even out the temperature.

There is no doubt that it is hot, unlike any other car I have ever driven. Doesn't really bother me, but its clearly different and unusual when compared to a normal vehicle. I am sure there are other cars out there with this issue.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the floor heat, I did as many others have done and added a layer of DynaMat Extreme under the front carpet area. Also added some light-weight aluminized heat reflective material above the primary cats, and covered some of the lower tranny tunnel as well. The car seems fairly normal now, heat-wise, and I've not had a hot foot this year. On extended drives or hot days it is a good idea to direct the A/C to the lowest (footwell) vents; keeping ahead of any heat soaking that may occur down there. 'Vettes have a similar floor/tunnel heating characteristic. Even stamped-steel unibody muscle cars can get a hot floor, especially with certain header setups that run close to the under-body. I once blistered a right heel driving a '71 Z28 (with padded carpeting and no A/C) on a long trip. But no doubt the Viper V10 and its exhaust system are on the high end of the heat supply scale, and the passenger tub needs a little extra thermal insulation to deal with all that heat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang