SRT10 Oil Pump Failure (Gen 3) w/ Photos

Nixon's SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know of a TT Gen 3 that had this issue also in 2010. Replaced during the rebuild with a billet piece

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just some comments of note here...

This appears to be a predominantly Gen-3 issue... and for good reason. While it can happen in any engine, especially those with billet caps and a moved center line, the Gen-3 has failures without apparent cause.

The Gen-3 rotors are cut differently than the Gen-2 version for the oil drain area, and this creates stress risers. Add that into the fact that the Gen-3 oil system is notorious for high RPM cavitation problems, pressure spiking issues, and the picture becomes clear. Then, add that to the fact that the Gen-3's tend to have Paxton blowers at a higher rate than other generations, and it really comes into focus- the Blowers can pull the snout off enter and create interference issues, especially when over-driving the systems.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All good points Dan, but Tiago's car is twin-turbo and had the exact same failure. His car never had a blower on it. I'm leaning towards the loose fitment and microscopic "hammering" reason in that link I posted, it shows the evidence of wear on the edges and it does make sense. The material of these items is low grade cast junk, likely too brittle for the use at higher power.

I shipped my cover off to RSI today, for them to do the modifications for the upgraded pump. Their gerotor is 0.005" thicker and bigger in OD, so the plate has to be machined to accommodate it. Will says they designed it that way because most of the plates get some minor scuffs and scratches when a pump fails, and that machining helps to clean up the surface for the new pump gerotor. Makes sense.