State Farm Insurance advice

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advice to swing State farm in my direction. Privately or openly.

In my accident I sheared about 8" of the lip off the wheel. It still holds air, not real severe. However, state farm wants to repair the wheel, whereas I am insisting that I want a new wheel.

I bought the car new in 2000 and don't want the wheel repaired.

Any advice will be appreciated.

[email protected]

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
repair it ...bullshiit. new one only. dont repair a wheel on a high performance car like a viper, make em work for you ike they should

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been quite a while but several years ago both wheels on the right side of my RT/10 were scratched when loading the car on a flatbed. State Farm replaced both. There was no structural damage. It was cosmetic only. I'd say talk with your agent and work out an acceptable solution. You can use the old "diminished value" or safety argument, whichever you prefer.

ACRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should be able to get a new one. Remanufactured wheels are very good and have a better warrenty than the OE. I am in the Collision repair business. I have not seen State Farm deny someone with a car like ours a new part once they complain.

If you feel you must accept the wheel I'm sure you will be able to show them it is not exactly like the rest too shiney, or not shiney enough color don't match etc.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Show some documentation that you do high speed track events and ask them (State Farm) to sign a statement that assures you that the wheel is absolutely safe at high speeds. Ask them to cc a copy to your "attorney". I bet this will get them to cave in....

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know Jeff, "Show some documentation that you do high speed track events", might get him in a situation. I think that since the policy states that they will return the vehicle to it's original condition might be enough. If it isn't you might be able to team up with the body shop and argue, as Viper_SRT stated, "the old "diminished value" or safety argument".

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, saying that you are racing might not be too cool unless you know your insurer is ok with it -- might open up another can of worms. Focus on original condition argument.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell them don't worry about it.You are purchasing a brand new wheel( an unbleshimed used is an option) or that you will have the repair completed yourself by a well known champ car team to insure durability,quality,guarantee and corectness on a high performance veicle.Of course your lawyer will be handling the repair/replacement transaction for you and will be in contact with them. Bruce

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the the track event argument when I was hit and they wanted to replace two of my MXX3's with Pilot sports. They got me 4 new tires. I don't understand the worry about track events. Insurance usually doesn't cover you there.

Do policies really state that they will return the car to original condition, ie: replace all body parts rather than repair them?

OP
OP
K

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, Monday I'll give my agent a call and see from his perspective what the policy states. Beyond that it really lies in the adjusters hands, I call her the alien. That is what it is like dealing with her on the phone, cold as ice. Hopefully she doesn't own a Viper and read this board...otherwise my odds just dropped.

Appreciate the advice, They listed $180 for repair of the wheel. It sheared 6-8 inches of the little 1/4" lip that sticks out right by the bead down level with the face of the rim.

I just don't want it welded, stripped, repainted, etc. I'll run some of these ideas by my guy, I've been with him 20 years and have all policies with him. He wants to help but doesn't really have any skin in the game, so we'll see where we go from here.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It is more a safety issue, and I would remind them that if the tire comes off the rim at higher speeds, what would the damage amount State Farm would be paying in that instance. The agent and the adjuster know this is a high performance exotic, and ask them to put in writing they refused to replace, as you want no liability if the rim fails and you have an accident. Ask them to put in writing that you will not be held responsible if an accident occurs through rim failure. They probably won't do any of this, but it may get you the new rim, which makes alot of sense. If you have been with the agent 20 years, he can go to bat for you.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Good luck, state farm does whatever it wants, that's why they have so many class action suits against them. With reputable insurance co.s (read just about anything but SF and Progressive) you could argue your case up the chain but you have to remember; a squeky wheel gets oil, but the "good neighbor" prefers to replace.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have state farm & they have been nothing but great, Especially when it comes to track events

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4