stereo ideas add more please.........

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be wrong - NAV works perfectly fine without VSS, (except in underground or totally non sky-visible locations). Most of the NAV after-market including Kenwood (DNX 9140 with a Garmin GPS built in), don't use VSS anymore, as NAVTEQ charges a hefty premium for mapping on built-in units - and even more when equipped with VSS. With the new more powerful GPS chipsets today, VSS isn't an issue anymore. I'm the CDN distributor for one of the largest PND GPS manufacturers in the world. You could argue the point all day long, but numbers tell a dramatically different story today. VSS is nice, but isn't really required anymore in today's markets. I also own a software company that supplies install data for vehicle wiring to all major car audio/security/remote start retailers and I'm sure we have the VSS wire location/color. That information is easily available from Mitchell /Chilton and Alldata. The Gen IV's equipped with NAV probably have the VSS right at the back of the built in NAV...and probably those not equipped with NAV as well.

@ the OP - if you take the car to a high end install shop, they could create a DD fit for the car. I'm about to embark on that project with a very high end shop next spring and will be fitting a DNX9140 in my Gen IV. It's a lot of painstaking work, but it can be done and the results will be quite impressive. I am 100% sure it can be done - I used to own a high car audio retail install/sales shop years ago and we used to do things like this all the time.

Wow, you should try a little harder to sound condescending next time.:smirk:

For the record, I am not wrong, and technically you are not either. Most nav units don't use the VSS wire anymore, but the JVC unit I was looking at does. While it may work without it, the unit literature does ask for it, and not having any guinea pigs to try it out, I opted not to even bother.

Also while you are right, the vehicle does have a VSS wire in it, that doesn't automatically equate to me knowing where it is.

And for the record, the double din conversion does not involve a lot of painstaking work, the stereo shop I use up here in the sticks melded a Toyota double din faceplate(so the edge around the unit has a 1/4 inch inset, so when the whole faceplate drops out of the way for CD loading it looks finished, professional and factory) with a bezel I bought on this site, so as not to wreck my factory painted one.

Took him a grand total of 10 minutes measuring, and a half an hour plastic welding. There is not much material to be removed from the inside either, about 3/8 of an inch from the top and bottom, all plastic too, the magnesium is not in the way. The only hard part is getting the exact silver color match for the shifter bezel, so I can keep the plaque.:cool:

I wonder how many double din conversions happened "years ago" when you were in the know.:dunno:

By the way bragging about "I'm gonnas" is silly. Plenty of time to brag if you ever do it. Sorry, I mean if you ever get that high end stereo shop to do it for you.

Sheesh:D

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You suffer from small d!ck complex or something?

A) You have no clue
b) You completely misread and misunderstood my post...it was not condescending - but simply pointing out the facts...and if you really knew anything, you'd know that your JVC WOULD work without VSS. They all do, even when a VSS input is on the NAV unit.

I don't brag, I just do, in my time, when it's convenient. Post about what you do know - not about what you surmise...because you seem to know NOTHING and that's quite evident from your spew Brad.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You suffer from small d!ck complex or something?

A) You have no clue
b) You completely misread and misunderstood my post...it was not condescending - but simply pointing out the facts...and if you really knew anything, you'd know that your JVC WOULD work without VSS. They all do, even when a VSS input is on the NAV unit.

I don't brag, I just do, in my time, when it's convenient. Post about what you do know - not about what you surmise...because you seem to know NOTHING and that's quite evident from your spew Brad.

Wow, the first reaction is to throw an insult, obviously your retort is gonna be weak.
And it was....

Also there was no dispute about your knowledge of the JVC need for the VSS wire.... you should do a re-read, I stated I didn't know if it needed it or not, but chose not to try.

"I just do", you should wear a T-shirt with that on it.:lmao:

Even your handle is presumptuous, fastest around what?
Your own yard? Your street? Certainly not the country.