Stock 2010 Viper ACR @ Clay City Kentucky

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Finally getting the hang of the Viper. Quite a handful at launch because it wants to wheel hop violently. This was my third time with it at the drag strip. 2000' DA and typical Kentucky track prep (aka very little). Got 13 passes in total, most of which were 12.0 - 12.1 in the 1/4.

Completely stock down to paper air filter and 32 lbs tire pressure and all aero bits still in place... Grannying it off the line. Hot lapping 5-6 passes at a time and best times came 3 or 4 passes in each time. Made the first turnoff each time without any issue, and the fastest pass I came to a complete stop from a trapped 120 MPH with time to spare to let the right lane T/A in his 14.7 pass go by. The stopping impressed the crowd more than the times!

Fastest Pass (left lane, shifting at 6000 rpms and barely getting into 4th gear):
60' - 2.121
1/8 - 7.892 @ 96.216
1/4 - 11.903 @ 120.962 (note, this lane historically traps about 3 mph slower than actual)

2nd Fastest Pass (right lane, shifting at 6200 rpms and redlining 3rd at the 1/4 marker)
60' - 2.124
1/8 - 7.955 @ 94.534
1/4 - 11.992 @ 123.240

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a stock viper is not a drag car, its a track car... pull the car off the strip and put it to the track, no wheel hop then...lol

OP
OP
S

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What rpm did u launch at?

Low, in the 1000-1500 RPM range. Higher than that, and the wheel hop would break the back loose and try to get me sideways. I need some diff and motor/tranny mounts and to adjust the suspension settings if I plan on doing this often, which I don't. 60' definitely has a couple of tenths that it could come down, if not 3 or 4, which would easily translate into 11.5s - 11.1s at the end.

a stock viper is not a drag car, its a track car... pull the car off the strip and put it to the track, no wheel hop then...lol

Yep, I know! I've had it on road courses, and am picking back up again with that in a few months, but the closest to me is Putnam Park, which is 3+ hours away. The drag strip is 30 minutes away. Gotta get my fix in, and even if it's only 12 seconds at a time, it's still a blast!

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm the thought never crossed my mind to stand on the brakes hard at the drag strip lol. As for the wheel hop, get out of it. If you're doing that pass after pass you will break something sooner than later. Pull some air out of the rear tires and get some heat in them and it will help you to get away cleaner. On sport cups you should be able to cut 1.7 60's with practice. I know they're a road coarse tire but they can still get sticky.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drag race mine all the time just need to set it up correctly. After market halfshafts, super lock Giken, 355 gears, Penske double adjustable shocks, M&H drag radials. runs 11.55 in the 1/4 with an 04 stock motor 18" SSR rims. Launch at 2500

OP
OP
S

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah if I were really interested in it, I'd set it up for drag racing with stuff like you mentioned.

I'm really interested in chasing the lowest-stock-ACR slip though. 11.0x seems very doable with the power the car makes, just a making it get it down on the launch with the right technique.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
shocks will keep it down, and elminate the wheel hop. mounts don't do much, nitrogen in the tires to keep the psi equal after burnout anything under 11.50 and your mods you would need to do to the car become not worth doing. best to stay as stock as possible and learn how to drive it down the track. Its all fun and not much money in it. Tracking is also a blast but it takes more $$$$ to keep it on the track and healthy. I think if I wanted to go faster I would just buy something else already set up. The market is pretty soft right now.