Stock Amplifier question on 06 SRT

den krivacek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two questions on an '06 SRT:
1. Where us the stock amplifier located?
2. What's the output on the OEM amplifier (watts)?
Just installed a double DIN stereo and would like to upgrade the speakers, but don't
know if it's worth it without replacing the stock amp.

Thanks in advance,
Den

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Stock amp should be under the passenger seat. Factory rating is 310W, but bigger thing is that it's 7 channel. In reality I think it's probably more accurate to call it a 5 channel with built in crossovers though. My car didn't have one when I first bought it, they had some huge 5 channel monstrosity in the trunk. I originally swapped that out for a 4 channel Alpine that I managed to fit under the passenger seat. Tried it with external crossovers first and then just high pass filters inline on the tweeters, but ended up finding a stock amp in the long run and hunted down the factory connectors so I could put it back (they had just cut the connectors off before I bought the car). Honestly, it sounds way better than my aftermarket setup ever did at this point, though you can't really tweak or tune it, which is the only thing I kind of miss.

OP
OP
D

den krivacek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you so very much for your reply! I scoured the internet for info on the wattage, but was unable to find anything. Out of curiosity, what speakers did you go with and are you pleased?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The info was actually in the service manual, which I definitely recommend picking up if you plan to do a lot of work to your car. It's one of the best written manuals I've ever seen and does a really good job of not just telling you how to assemble and disassemble things, but also how the systems work to begin with.

As for speakers, they are basically all Kicker at this point, though mostly because they were some of the few I could find that fit under the stock covers. I had to cut up the tweeters and bend some sheet metal to make brackets for them, but not sure if Kicker even still sells them. They were 3/4" and had a screw hole in the back for mounting, which was the biggest thing I was looking for. Doors are Kicker 6.5" (not 6.75", it's a 3 bolt pattern instead of a 4). I think they were the CS series, though I might go with something that didn't have the tweeter built in like the KS if I were to do it again. I actually clipped the wires to the tweeters on them, soldered them back on later, and I think I clipped them a second time. Rear speakers behind the seats I went with stock because I found them online for cheap. I believe they are 3" or 3.5" or something like that. I have heard of others going aftermarket here with a little bit of fiddling, but it's an odd size that I had a hard time finding much of. Sub is a Kicker 6.75" Comp RT. I believe I got the 2 ohm version, but I'm not actually sure if that's the right fit for the factory setup or not. The more I dug into that, the more I think the factory forgot to update the schematics. They show it being a dual voice coil speaker and there are 4 wires going to it from the amp, but on the actual speaker side of the plug there are only 2. So I don't actually know if the amp has two full channels for it or whether they are shared and just parallel output. Long story short, at the moment I'm running it as a single 4 ohm by running the coils in series. I'm tempted to try getting the 4 ohm DVC version and hooking both coils up to each channel of the amp, but I don't want to hurt anything and I'm not sure it would really make a difference in the long run.

All that said, I'm actually very happy with the way it sounds now. Has good volume and reasonable clarity for my ears at least, though it's always a losing fight to my exhaust. Before I often had a hard time making out vocals on the highway, now I can actually hear them if I turn it up and it doesn't just sound like noise. Seems decently powerful just sitting in the garage with the engine off as well, though not professional amazing sound system kind of stuff by any means.

ChampzViper06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just installed a double DIN stereo and would like to upgrade the speakers, but don't

Thanks in advance,
Den
Any pics of your double den setup?

Mradin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks in advance,
Den
It's worth replacing the stock amp & speakers.
I recently did this in my Gen 3.

Pioneer GM-DX874​

Hertz component speakers in the front (I tried JL Audio's but they required cutting up the interior door panel which I didn't want to do)
JL Audio 6.5" subwoofer
I kept the stock tweeters behind the seat which runs off the Pioneer head. The JL Audio tweeters I bought needed more power than the Pioneer head could deliver.

eaks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was considering going with the double din setup as well but decided against it in case I ever sell the car and the owner wants it back to stock. I did some searching and found this unit (same as many other similar year dodges) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.17.23bc1802O73znB .. I went with the cheapest option that had wireless android auto. It seems to function pretty well and even with the smaller screen is still usable and most importantly gave me the ability to add a backup camera to the headunit. I believe I needed to make a few small changes to the wiring harness (had to tie in a trigger wire to the amp as I had no sound when first installed). but essentially it is plug and play and can be easily turned back to stock if required.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I ended up getting a Grom unit when I put a Dodge RB1 radio in my car a while back. Plugs into the aux port on the back of the radio and acts like a CD changer as far as the RB1 is concerned. The Grom unit can do bluetooth and USB drive streaming to give at least some amount of modernity to an older system, though it's not the same level as Android Auto and obviously lacks some of the features you get with that. Nice option though to keep things stock but still enjoy some modern conveniences.

OP
OP
D

den krivacek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As requested, here's a couple pics of the double DIN installed in my '06 SRT VOI #20 of 100, white w blue stripes.
The pics don't do it justice and I still have polish the trim bezel as I had to machine a smaller one from .125 black nylon. (The bezel provided with the radio extended into the AC vent) The head unit is a Kenwood DMX709S. New speakers as well as front and rear camera also installed. Background on radio is a jpg found on line and goes nicely with electric blue interior trim.

Attachments

• 20230911_151541.jpg
    20230911_151541.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230911_151556.jpg
    20230911_151556.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
D

den krivacek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was very fortunate to find a dash bezel on line for $50, therefore I didn't have to modify the original dash cover to accept the new head unit. OEM stereo and dash bezel saved should setup ever have to be changed back to OEM.

OP
OP
D

den krivacek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also removed the cigarette lighter and installed a USB port in it's place.
When not in use, it closes as it did before the mod.

Attachments

• 20230911_163817.jpg
    20230911_163817.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 6

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's worth replacing the stock amp & speakers.
I recently did this in my Gen 3.

Pioneer GM-DX874​

Hertz component speakers in the front (I tried JL Audio's but they required cutting up the interior door panel which I didn't want to do)
JL Audio 6.5" subwoofer
I kept the stock tweeters behind the seat which runs off the Pioneer head. The JL Audio tweeters I bought needed more power than the Pioneer head could deliver.
I am looking for new speakers that I DO NOT have to cut up the front doors. Do the Hertz Component speakers just Drop in ?

Thank you,

John

jergig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New JBL’s matched up perfect. The kit had a sliding ring adapter to match up mounting holes.

Attachments

• IMG_0158.jpeg
    IMG_0158.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 7

jergig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was considering going with the double din setup as well but decided against it in case I ever sell the car and the owner wants it back to stock. I did some searching and found this unit (same as many other similar year dodges) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.17.23bc1802O73znB .. I went with the cheapest option that had wireless android auto. It seems to function pretty well and even with the smaller screen is still usable and most importantly gave me the ability to add a backup camera to the headunit. I believe I needed to make a few small changes to the wiring harness (had to tie in a trigger wire to the amp as I had no sound when first installed). but essentially it is plug and play and can be easily turned back to stock if required.
I chose a similar option but from eBay. I have had several problems with Aliexpress. Beware they sell all your info too. The unit I chose is very similar to yours, Xtrons. The look is OEM and it is a real easy plug a play job. New JBl Speakers all around easy mount too. Options and sound of head unit great. Using viper amp and sub woofer.

Attachments

• IMG_0155.jpeg
    IMG_0155.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0158.jpeg
    IMG_0158.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 9

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
A lot of 6.75" speakers have the 6.5" mounting holes, but the problem I have with them is they stick out from the door when you put the matching covers on. So they don't require any cutting to make fit, but they don't exactly "fit" either to me. I found a set of Kicker 6.5" speaker that fit behind the factory grilles and have been happy enough with them. Guessing there are some others out there, but the trick is looking for real 6.5" speakers if you want to keep them inside the door and not on top of it. 6.75" is the more common size out there.

nicholas8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I chose a similar option but from eBay. I have had several problems with Aliexpress. Beware they sell all your info too. The unit I chose is very similar to yours, Xtrons. The look is OEM and it is a real easy plug a play job. New JBl Speakers all around easy mount too. Options and sound of head unit great. Using viper amp and sub woofer.
Thanks for posting this. I have been looking at the same Xtrons stereo and excited it fits without mods. I am curious, did you hook up a back up camera? If so, any insight on how you did that would be greatly appreciated. Trying to work through how to get the camera to turn on when shirt to reverse.

Shackofparts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I have just installed an Xtrons into my 06 Viper. It was a great easy install and seems to work great!
Although I have really bad radio signal, only can pick up 2 radio stations. It’s almost like the radio amplifier is not turning on?
There was a plug that used to go into the stock radio but ok the Xtrons is not used. Could this be the issue or is it just not needed? I have attached a photo of the plug that is not connected.
It would be nice to know what this plug is for?
Hopefully someone can help me..

Attachments

• IMG_0321.jpeg
    IMG_0321.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 3

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The Viper uses an amplified antenna in the windshield, so it would need power at least, similar to a retractable antenna on other cars. A lot of aftermarket radios call that a "amp" or "trigger" wire. Though since the Viper has as amp as well I don't know off the top of my head if the signal is split in the harness and runs to both or if there area two independent powers for it.

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got one for an 03. Nothing for the 06. Very hard to come by, but the information should be the same except for a few items.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I believe that is just an accessory plug for Dodge radios in general. So things like Sirius, CD changes, etc. use it if it's the plug I'm thinking of. Do the coupes have CD changers in the back? I know the convertibles don't, but could see one in a coupe without too much difficulty. I'm not sure where they would mount a Sirius module, but I guess that would be the other main thing that comes to mind.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure where they would mount a Sirius module, but I guess that would be the other main thing that comes to mind.

If I recall correctly, I remember seeing a couple of unused plugs under the waterfall panel (behind the seats). I think they were on the passenger side.

My car wasn't optioned with any fancy stuff, so I don't have it, but there are definitely plugs and enough real estate to mount a module like that under that panel.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was told it is an optional connect for a ******* drop switch since it is a Gen3. Us Gen2 guys did not need one.

edit: even p anties was ****. this PC think is out of hand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala