Storage Question

SidewinderGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is it a good idea to change the oil just as I put it away or wait until spring?
Thanks

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depending on how many miles and what type of driving you have done since the last change. I always change the oil before putting the cars up for the winter.

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my oil changed about 4 - 6 weeks ago and am not going to change it again until spring. The synthetic oil will hold it's own, so waiting to change it until spring or summer will be fine. Unless you are running the car hard at the track or road coarse, then you should change it before you put it away.

Reaction score
I think it ALL comes down to you! Personally...I change my oil at the end of the season, no matter what. When the car comes out, I'll drive it a couple weekends and then change the oil to start the next season.

Can you change it less? Sure....in the end it IS just a car. :)

But it is those little things that make us (me) happy...so we (I) do them. :)

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Changing the oil is cheap insurance. Though your oil may appear clear, it can still have fuel in it that makes it acidity. I also heard that it is also recommended to put a teaspoon of oil in the sparkplug holes to coat the top of the pistons, keep the tires off the ground to prevent flat spots, put moisture packs (silicone stuff you find in electronics) in the car, put a fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank and make sure your coolant is in very good condition. And of course, remove the battery and put on a trickle charger. I drive my GTS all year long, so these things don’t apply to me. :laugh:

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've researched the storage issue since I store 130 cars for customers (Viper to antiques)inside a 3 story non-heated garage since 1979. When I store my cars I have fresh oil & a topped off fuel tank for minimum condensation. I make sure the battery is full charged and the top is clean between the posts so there is no drain from acid on the top. I disconnect the battery and if possible put an auto trickle charger on it. I park the car where I'm going to store it then with the engine at idle use a fogging or Marvel Mystery oil sprayed into the intake or PCV untl the engine really smokes then shut it down. This lubricates the cyliders and valve guides real good. Then don't start it again until ready to run. I've had cars stored up to 4 years with no problems. It's not a good idea to start a stored car without getting the oil up to temp to evaporate all the fuel you dumped past the rings on cold start. Start and stop really contaminates the oil. ALSO it is recommended to test the PH of the coolant and if it's aciddic flush it. Parts houses have the coolant test strips. For long term storage we charge to set the cars up this way. On my Vipers I disconnect the battery jumper lug and once a year clean the battery good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456