straight pipes or catback?

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm doing some general research on exhausts for my 2002 GTS. Which is better, High Flow Cats and a Catback exhaust or just straight pipes without Cats? I would imagine that straight pipes is louder, but is it to loud? Is there enough back pressure? I also would assume that straight pipes are alot cheaper... I live in PA and we have emissions, but I will keep the milage under 5,000 per year so I'll be exempt from the test. any and all feedback is greatly appriciated. I want a mean car, but not one thats so loud I can't hear anything else. What about just replacing the Cats with pipes, keeping the factory muffler?

gtsKlinger :usa:

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
there are a ton of posts on this in GTS/RT10 forum.

my 2¢

straight pipes too loud.

best thing to do is try to hook up with some cars in your area and listen to their exhaust....this is very subjective

good luck.

ViperDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why not try the straight pipes as that'll probably cost you about $10 for some pipe down at pep boys and an afternoon fitting. if its to loud get the high flows.

Its what I'm doing although I'm just getting longer turn outs on the headers i have on order. If i don't like it I'll order some high flows and cut the turn outs to fit. worst case I'll be down about $30 (unless i set fire to the back with the flames from the over run)

edited to add, with a 2002 you'll need to rear O2 sims which could add to your cost, don't have to worry with my 97 though

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Matt
This is the same delima most new Viiper owners go through. It really depends on what you want it to sound like. Best advice - hook up with other owners in your area, or go to a Viper Days event. This way you can hear several versions.
One suggestion: Random Tech high flow cats with corsa cat back. Great sound, people will hear you comming, great sound out the back when you make the V-10 angry, and if this is not loud enough, you can remove the last two mufflers for a little more sound (like I did). You can still talk inside the car, O.K. maybe you talk a little louder, but it is sweet music out the back.
Contact Jon B at www.partsrack.com he even has the transition cones to mate it all up to your stock headers.

HOdbleFman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't recommend straight pipes. It isn't that it is too loud, but the sound just isn't a good quality. I had them on my car for awhile and switched to a B&B header back system without cats. I like loud, but I don't want it to sound like crap. The B&B or probably any quality exhaust system will improve the sound quality of your car.

KURT E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go to the VCA regions section of this site and get in touch with a representative from your region. He or she will know who is close enough for you to get in touch with...

I just took my '01 RT for a cruise this past weekend with my new set-up. Random Tech high-flows and Corsa cat-back. Great sound without getting into obnoxious. But-just my opinion...I would do this mod again if I had it to do over.

Kurt

OP
OP
M

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, thanks all for your comments. I found some wav files on the net that were just of straight pipes, I think thats alittle to loud for me. I think I am going to approach this as recommended. By trial and error...

First I will remove and replace the cats with pipes, if that is to loud or whatever I will seek others and listen to their set up then move forward with whichever I like. If I like this set up I will have to get new O2 sensors, which will work for me and where can I get them?

Thanks again for all your thoughts, If I am forgetting about anything, or if my thoughts aren't the correct approach please advise. thanks again

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No cats equals loud at WOT.Ok just cruising.You need a cat back to eliminate raunchines(SP!) and tune the sound.I like my euro higher pitched sounding Corsa .Others provide a deeper more mellow sound.Remember that it is a v-10!Which provides a sharp sound that you will learn to recognise.It will never sing like a 6 or 12.Buzz like a 4 or burble like a V8. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
M

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS Bruce, pardon the ignorance, but what does WOT stand for. I think the Corsa exhaust isn't the sounds I want, I definitly want the deep mellow sound... that sound, to me, is POWER... I want people to FEEL my car drive by them :)

Thanks again

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all. I've done a fair bit of browsing on the boards and have a question. I've a '97 GTS and want to elliminate the cats. I've read that it wont trip the MIL lite, but am not sure. I've got 4 O2 sensors, will that matter? Is this odd? I suppose the only way to find out is to get in there and rip 'em out. Any input would be most appreciated. Thank you.