1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aftermarket exhaust question

Discussion in 'SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe Discussions' started by John D, Apr 10, 2021.

1. John D

John D Enthusiast

I'm looking for some feedback about exhaust options. I'm pretty happy with the exhaust sound on my 2005. It has a nice rumble and burbles and pops when decelerating. what I would like is a cooler temperature in the car. If the car sounds a bit louder that's a bonus. From experience, have you noticed a difference in temperature with just a cat-back or would I need to replace the cats and headers as well? I don't want to get too loud (complaints from my wife). Any thoughts?

2. BYAIC

BYAIC Enthusiast

The two side exhausts are connected to one another via an H-Pipe that goes roughly through the center of the car under the cabin. If you upgrade to a Borla Cat Back exhaust the H-Pipe is deleted, and yes I did find a huge difference in cabin temperature with that, and the side skirts are now very cool to the touch in comparison to when I had the stock exhaust. Not sure about increased noise, I would say it’s pretty much the same as stock. No need to change anything else. There is an added HP gain with the Borlas but I can’t remember the number.

3. John D

John D Enthusiast

Thanks for the info!

4. MoparMap

MoparMap VCA National President Venom Member

Can't comment on the temperature difference as my car had Borlas when I bought it, but can say that they sound great. To my ears at least they have a lower pitched rumble and roar compared to the other aftermarket exhaust I've heard. Corsas just sound to raspy and racy to me.

5. Sennahnamrecken

Sennahnamrecken Enthusiast

3400 N. Ocean Dr. West Palm Beach FL 33404
    What does a change to the Borla exhaust system typically cost and where is it done? Chrysler dealer?

6. BYAIC

BYAIC Enthusiast

Their website shows $1199 factory direct. It comes with installation instructions, also viewable on their website. It looks like a simple task if you are mechanically inclined and have the time. I was not either of those things back then so I took it to my Viper tech at the dealership and had him install them. I paid IIRC about $400 labor, but that was 12-13 years ago, perhaps expect to pay $500 - $700 today.

7. MoparMap

MoparMap VCA National President Venom Member

Back in the day Mopar offered two different "OEM aftermarket" exhausts for the Viper, a street version (2.5") and a race version (3"). My understanding is the street version is basically the Borla exhaust, just without the shiny tips. That being said, I believe it is actually cheaper than getting it from Borla. The race version only costs ~$700, I think the street version used to be more like $400 if I remember right, but could be way off there and it might not even be available anymore. Could be worth a search though.

8. lyonmt

lyonmt Enthusiast

The MOPAR exhaust is no longer offered in two versions as far as I know. There is just this one I think.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MEM4HJ...olid=2HTKNQZZ3OTE4&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I live in Florida, so I removed the crossover pipes underneath and put Gen 4 tips on. The car did get a bit louder and conversation can sometimes be a lil difficult.

As far as the heat, the stock exhaust seems to get hotter with the gen 4 tips. Also the tips tend to get loose. If you decide to go that route, it is highly recommended to get the tips spot welded. I didn't at first ( i didn't know) and my tips got loose and melted my clear bra and inner wheel fender a little.

9. hlieber50

hlieber50 Enthusiast

When my factory driver's side header cracked I replaced my exhaust system with a high performance Belanger system that included headers & cats, using the original side exhaust pipes. Their kit does not use the crossover that the factory exhaust has. That cooled the interior a lot, so much more enjoyable during the summer. Noise level was increased some. At the end of last summer I installed the Corsa Cat Back portion of the exhaust. That added another level of increased sound. The Belanger System & the Corsa exhaust made my Viper (2005 SRT-10) more responsive when the gas pedal is pushed.