"Supertuner Challenge" in Car and Driver w/o a Viper????

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
\"Supertuner Challenge\" in Car and Driver w/o a Viper????

How can <u>Car and Driver</u>have an article entitled "Supertuner Challenge: Searching for the highest-performance street car in the land" without a Viper in it??? The article admits that John Hennessey's twin-turbo Venom 800 was supposed to be there but was..."beseiged by electrical gremlins". It seems like an effort should have been made to include another Viper but perhaps it would have been such a blowout for the Viper that maybe this was a better way to go for all of the other contestants? To be fair to C & D, it may have been too late to find a Viper at the last minute in light of publishing deadlines but it certainly makes the article incomplete to say the least! Any other thoughts from the Viper Nation or from our guests from any of the other camps?? This should make for a very interesting thread! Can't wait to read the responses to this one!!

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"Supertuner Challenge\" in Car and Driver w/o a Viper????

Let's face it, a lot of the magazines treat the Viper as a car in its own category and I guess we should be happy about that. But how many "American Muscle Car Shootouts..." and "Super Tuner..." and "Best Sports Car under $100,000..." articles have left out the Viper. There aren't enough Viper owners to make it worth their while. On the other hand, there are enough Vette and Mustang owners to keep a magazine going. If everytime they did an article the Viper won, the "also ran" car owners would stop buying the rag. It's just about demographics and money. I'm not blaming them, every business is about the money, but we shouldn't find it surprising.

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't know about any consipiracy theory. Haven't read the article but I'm sure they'd have loved an 800 TT to be included because it's a car readers would like to read about. Sure there aren't as many Vipers out there as Mustangs, Vettes or whatever but there are fewer Ferraris than Vipers and the rags never miss an opportunity to feature them. As far as non-tuned is concerned, maybe there hasn't been enough news of late to warrant the level of exposure that the Viper had heaped upon it in the past. This will no doubt change when the '03 is introduced.

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know that this will be an unpopular opinion with most of the Viper community because of the level of fanaticism associated with Viper ownership....but **** , if you break a Viper down...stock for stock, modified to modified, dollar for dollar, its just not that impressive when examined closely.

Before the flamethrowers are ignited, temper this statement with the fact that I tune the 800TT at HMS. Unfortunately, we were unable to attend the C&D shootout due to the aforementioned gremlin...but realistically, I could have taken one of our C5s with heads/cam/exhaust and **** slapped the entire field. Its pretty sad when the test is set up for tuner cars to run a measured distance at a measured speed and only one car can reach that target speed. With that being said, I return to the original thrust of my argument, don't be too overly impressed with a heavy, ill-handling coupe that carries an anemic 488 inch powerplant...even modified, we are still talking about a car with lots of displacement and nothing to show for it....we are still talking about a car with an archaic powertrain control system....anybody ever question why these cars are speed density?!?!?... and we are still talking about a "sportscar" that just received ABS this model year.

Now, there will be a ton of you that will throw up the Viper's accomplishments on track...at a professional level. No argument from me there...the GTSR was awesome in its class....but is it really impressive from a construction/performance standpoint?
That answer is an unequivocal no....why do I want to spend the money on a 3600 LB car with a spartan interior, poor weight distribution, and a truck motor???

Even though there are features about the car that really bother me from a design and performance standpoint....I still enjoy them from a visual standpoint, and they can be fun to drive....but someone wondered how a magazine can do a tuner shootout without a Viper....wake up, they are not the end all in the performance world. As such, no publication should feel compelled to include a Viper...

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

House of Speed,

I just can't understand how you can say such things that you did. If I was John I would really question your business sense as you come on the VIPER BOARD and basically trash the DODGE VIPER, which, if never created would not provide you with the job you have now, This car puts food in your belly and gas in your tank. How can you say stock for stock that this car isn't that great? Show me another car for under 100K stock that will outperform it? Also modified to modified? John, fire this guy as he clearly doesn't endorse your product as being the absolute best tuner Viper anyone can offer. Are you the janitor at HMS??? I'm sure you know your stuff mechanical wise, but common sense? The Viper is one Hell of a car, saying its blah is a stupid thing to say. Truck motor? Are you sure you work on these cars?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. For it's price the viper is cheap compared to other cars in it's performance class 0-60 in 4 sec and 12.0 1/4 miles sure are pretty pathetic eh?

Craig

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
with a spartan interior
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Must be a Corvette guy. They are always the first to start ******** when there aren't enough cup holders!
laugh.gif

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
With that being said, I return to the original thrust of my argument, don't be too overly impressed with a heavy, ill-handling coupe that carries an anemic 488 inch powerplant...even modified, we are still talking about a car with lots of displacement and nothing to show for it....we are still talking about a car with an archaic powertrain control system....anybody ever question why these cars are speed density?!?!?... and we are still talking about a "sportscar" that just received ABS this model year.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow Kyle,

Sometimes we're all better off if we just save that email and re-read it later in a different state of mind. Something must have really had you ********** at the time, hope YOU feel better!

Oh, I kind of had the feeling in the past you were into Vipers? Sounds like they piss you off and its just a job. I sure wouldn't want mine in your shop, you'd probably piss in the gas tank or something.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe Houseofspeed is on Speed. You know, that'll cause you to say the darndest things!

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

House of Lack of thought,

You work for a well-known Viper tuner, tuning his latest creation which is getting tons of press, paying the bills and you bash the car?

As KevinACR stated, I wouldn't want you working on my ride either. Sure wouldn't want to inconvenience you with MY "spartan interior, poor weight distribution, and a truck motor".

Should you bite the hand that feeds you, "answer is an unequivocal no".

Here's your sign Craig- "Duh"

Dave 96 R/T

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As I predicted, my comments were not well received...and here's my take on opinions from the gallery:

Craig, first....you drive the only turbo car that I wouldn't consider owning...that speaks volumes for your station in life. Secondly, Vipers have not made me what I am....I have built a lot of cars, and Vipers are a small percentage of that. It would seem that you are sensitive about the image of your "dream car". I can understand passion, and you obviously have that...but the passion you have is for the image, not the concept or its impact from a mechanical perspective. If you would put some effort into the actual message, you will notice that I did not say the cars we build are boring...I said that it should not be considered mandatory for the Viper to be a part of every magazine "shootout". That is simply because there are other performance cars that deserve coverage...and if you compare costs of the car and modifications, there are many cars that can equal the performance level for half the cost. Finally, I am far from the janitor, and John will be the first to tell you that...as will my customers. When you get out of the puppy love phase and move away from the world of the 2.2 turdbo...come back and let me know.

jcaspar...not a Vette guy, but a cup holder of measure would be nice!! I think that you actually get the point of my rhetoric.

KevinACR, well...I wasn't **********, just stating my opinion. I like the Viper for what it is, no more...no less. You are right, this is my job...making a CAR perform...not a VIPER...but a CAR. I promise that I won't piss in your gas tank....maybe in the overflow...or in the windshield washer reservoir...but not your gas tank...LOL.

Frank 00GTS, no speed....just being honest.

Dave 96R/T....you must be in the same dream that Craig is floating around in....AGAIN, I WORK ON LOTS OF CARS...and the Viper happens to be one of them...promise I won't go hungry if CAAP is swallowed by a sinkhole or targeted by terrorists. Its called diversity...I am not transfixed on the Viper like the proverbial crow to a shiny object.

There were no arguments presented by the Viper Nationalist Party as to why the car is the best performance value for the dollar...stock or modded. I am open to comments.

The point missed by most is obvious.....I made my statement based on my opinion regarding a specific topic. Those opinions are mine and have no bearing on my work....I HAVE A PASSION FOR PERFORMANCE...whether that be a Viper, C5, Lightning, Mustang, F-body, Turbo Buick...it doesn't matter. I make my living by transforming marginal fluff (most of the performance offerings from the big 3) into THE FASTEST RIDES ON THE PLANET. I do not care what brand the car is if it has potential...and those of you with the Viper blinders on are the ones that suffer. After all, there are a bunch of you guys that don't really LOVE your car...you just love the attention. That is where we differ, I LOVE CARS&gt;&gt;&gt;PERIOD.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Kyle,

I normally don't get involved in this type of smack, but I find it insulting that you would think that it is wrong to be LOYAL to a brand, or specifically to our VIPERS! I would think that in your position of offering performance upgrades for those who can afford, and have the passion for greater speed, that you would have a bit more RESPECT for those who are PASSIONATE for OUR selected brand.

No one stated that the VIPER is the only performance car. I believe the issue being discussed is whether there is ANY other car, out of the crate, that you can drive to a drag strip and turn an 11.7 - 12.0 .... then drive to a road course and possibly beat a track record ... and then take your wife or girlfriend out to dinner without them complaining that their ears are bleeding from the noise, kidneys are aching from the ride, or outfit is greasy from the mess!

Yes, you CAN make a faster car.... but can you buy one, from the factory, with a 3 year warranty?

Of course, we would like to see every car mag use the Viper as a benchmark! Heck, we're VIPER ENTHUSIASTS ... no, better yet, we're VIPER LOVERS! .. and until the Z06 or 911 can offer similar OUT OF THE SHOWROOM performance as mentioned above, we have all the right in the world to be proud of our untarnished STOCK performance records!

I will always respect each manufacturers entries into the performance market, and I would suggest as one who works on our Vipers, that you be a bit more sensitive to how negative comments can reflect on your customers (and future customers) thoughts about you.

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score

First off Joe Houss, WELL SAID!!!!.
Kyle.....House of Speed.....What are you thinking? What did you expect that you would come on to the Viper board and basically trash how Viper owners feel about their cars, and get no grief? Would not an enthusiast of the Mustang on their board or the Corvette club not feel the same?
You can pick apart almost any car with flaws, except maybe a Mclaren f-1.
I hear the same ol story" for the money" their is a lot you can do with "cheaper " car brands to be as "street " fast or FASTER for that matter than a Viper. But Joe says it best, dollar for dollar where do you buy a factory car that can run under 12 seconds at the 1/4 times, dominates the SCCA T-1 class, 3 years as a factory based "Lemans" winning car, has been on the C&D's "Fastest Street Car We Ever Tested" front cover,plus get looks no matter where you take the car. Need we say more? Tell me how many people get enthussed about the 34,000 Corvetttes per year that are made or the 45,000 mustangs per year? What is their resale value?
With all that, take your stock Vettes, mustangs, F-bodies and the such, which cost less than the Viper, Modd it to death to beat the performance of a Viper and after 4 years what is its resale value? the Viper holds its Value rather well. And I am sure you can spend 250 K for a Ferrari or 160- 180 K for a Porsche Cup factory prepped car and beat a stock Viper but I have "Flown" bye them both with just a few mods to a Viper at a cost of under 100 K. So, while you may have the love of tuning all kinds of cars, We LOVE OUR VIPERS, basically will take on all challengers, and FRANKLY COULD CARE LESS WHAT YOU THINK!!!!....but rest assured you would be the last person on this planet that I would take my Viper to...what a great way to promote the HMS name amidst all the bad publicity he has already received. If you were my employee, the pink slip wouldn't be signed fast enough!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Shakedown....

and your point is?

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shakedown...."The obvious" is what?....enlighten us. And what dream are we in? The fact that the Viper performs well in skid tests? great torque and horsepower? does fairly well "stock" in the 1/4 mile? has great street appeal? holds its resale value? so what dream are we in? Oh, thats right we dont have a cup holder.
I love you guys who come onto "our" board, Viper owners board, and try to belittle us....many of us enjoy other sportscars, but have a passion for a great AMERICAN production car, the Viper.
Shakedown and Kyle, don't go away mad, JUST GO AWAY!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shakedown,

The world doesn't revolve around Vipers???? Bring a stock competitor and I'm sure any half dedicated Viper owner would be more than happy to disspell your competition. Just try and de-throne it.

Craig

Viper.... A perfect 10!

BLS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shakedown is nothing more than a trouble maker... Just ignore him. Check out the post he made on the Supra Forum below titled "Viper guys crying again...."

http://www.supraforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=005013

Now look at the one he recently made here...

http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000303.html

From the intel I have been able to gather, Mr. Shakedown has been doing some high dollar head work for a well know Viper tuner in Houston. I guess everyone hates competition...

As for Kyle... I would think that someone who earns his living working on Vipers would consider choosing his words more wisely.

Mr. Hennessey, please note that I will not be purchasing anything from your company while Kyle is employed by or representing your business.

I will show my disapproval by spending my money elsewhere...

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can't beleive this thread. Joe said it right on! If I was John Hennessey, I would send these two packing! They would not last one minute if employed by me. Don't bite the hand that feeds you!

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree. All I want to do is enjoy the ride that I have chosen. Pride in the choices you make are a good thing. Respect should be given to anyone. This is the Viper board for a reason... All responses to the 2 undistinguished gentleman were excellent. I must also chime my favor of diverting my Viper upgrades elsewhere away from HMS. I can spend my money with people that respect me and whatever dreams I have.

Ted Roepsch

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I bet most of us could get the gyst of this article without every cracking the rag open... Lingenfelter vette, Saleen whatever, blah blah blah...Great cupholders, nice climate control, traction control, ******** control, storage for your golf cart... the ricers drooled when we took it out on the streets... must be the Baddest Around...

I bet they never heard of Doug Levin or Al Burtoni.

TX WHOS YOUR DADDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BROTHER VIPSTERS....... HERES THE SKINNY ON THE CAR AND DRIVER MISSING STOCK VIPER CASE.DODGE SENT A STOCK ACR VIPER DRIVEN BY THE GREAT TOMMY ARCHER.ALSO PRESENT A STOCK TT PORSCHE 911 AND STOCK CHEVI VETTE ZO6.THE CLUTCH WENT OUT IN THE VIPER ON THE WAY TO THE TRACK.DODGE IMMEADIATELY DISPATCHED ANOTHER STOCK VIPER FROM A DEALER IN AUBURN HILLS,MICH. BY THE TIME THE SECOND VIPER GOT THERE THE WEATHER TURNED INTO RAIN.WINNER OF VIPER,VETTE,PORSCHE SIDE CARD AT THE TUNERS SHOOTOUT........ CHEVROLET VETTE ZO6.THE REST IS HISTORY.. 2 OVERALL WINS BY CORVETTE.CASE CLOSED.BEST REGARDS!NORM KOERNER.....INFORMATION TAKEN FROM CAR AND DRIVERS PREVIEW FAX TEXT SEND TO VARIOUS PARTIES INVOLVED IN THIS EVENT.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elite1:
......... This is the Viper board for a reason... All responses to the 2 undistinguished gentleman were excellent. I must also chime my favor of diverting my Viper upgrades elsewhere away from HMS. I can spend my money with people that respect me and whatever dreams I have. Ted Roepsch <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary, Ted, et al:

Poor John Hennessey/HMS cannot win! I hope his next "tune up" is on these two (possible vendors? / contractors?) and I urge you NOT to paint John with their brush! To do so means these trash-bashers win! NOT FAIR !

John's enthusiasm and pride in Viper has been there, since BEFORE Viper-Day One, back to Conquest-Stealth-Daytona days. (And his R+D investment $$ worked to ALL our good, especially we later "competititors.") HMS tested the waters, gave us products, and showed many the way. BOB LUTZ recognized him for his efforts! Inevitable rare controversy aside, HMS was the ONLY source for years, who put his experience and $$$ on the line for our driving enjoyment. And shared a lot with all of us in the VCA as well. Every rice-pilot and many SOB enthusiasts ask "is that a Hennessey Venom?"........ John Hennessey has in effect painted all Viper owners with a great brush......showing the Viper's POTENTIAL, even if we dont have the package! Don't let these two paint/taint HMS otherwise!?!?

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds like shakedown and out house of speed need to do a little less self shaking and find themselves a girl friend.

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This turned into a ******* contest in short order....and I would expect such from the narrow minds that have done nothing other than try to slam me personally...or twist the context of my original post.

I think that it is hilarious how serious you guys are about a friggin' magazine test...and/or my opinion on the Viper's interior or performance out of the box. As I stated, I will work on anything that has potential...and obviously I feel that the Viper has that..but to assume that it is the best car of its type under 100K is silly. That was the original thrust of my argument...which was completely overlooked by the peanut gallery.

Now, on to the more serious issue at hand....how much stroke do you guys think you have???? What grounds would there be for my termination??? I stated my opinion about the cars that I work on...never said that we build a piece of crap or that the cars couldn't perform. I know that some of the big men here on the board have called John...called Prashant.....why don't you call me??? If you have a problem with my opinion, address me directly....everybody is a heavyweight with a keyboard in hand. Why should my declaration be taken as hostile??? If someone says that a ZR1 is piece of crap with a marine motor between the frame rails...everybody laughs. By the way, I am not a Corvette guy...but that is the car that you guys compare stats and honors with...so why is it wrong for me to make comments in regard to the shortcomings of the Viper. In that same post I gave the GTSR praise as well as the production car....sometimes you have to open your eyes and read the whole post..not just bits and pieces.

Those of you that said you would fire me if I worked for you....why? (By the way, don't worry...I won't be needing a position at your sno-cone stand in the near future.) Again, I don't need anyone's permission to state my opinions...I hope your employees...or those that work under you in some capacity.. get to take the shackles and blindfold off for a water break occasionally.

There are many that said they would not bring business to HMS because of my feelings/presence....Were you going to bring business to us in the first place??? Fifty percent of nothing is still nothing...I can say that you will be the one to miss out on the best performance package in the game. I have consistently championed our cause on this board, so the idea that I am biting the hand that feeds me is absurd. I will continue to make everything I touch better from a performance standpoint, and those of you that wish to be an also-ran by "boycotting" HMS are more than welcome to that title. I am at HMS to make the Viper a better car...if I thought it was a worthless piece of crap, I wouldn't waste my time or John's pretending to be interested in the Viper as a serious performer.

Finally, I do find humor in the fact that so many of you took the time out of your busy day to turn this into the bonfire that it is....and I will throw this warning out, if you choose to put the big boy pants on and play the name calling game, I hope you have a good therapist and a generic med discount. With that being said...I will address a few of my favorites:

Gary L, I have really only come in contact with you on a couple of occasions..and the last being PRI when you were playing the role of organ grinder and leading Larry around by his nose. Who are you???? Why do you think that your opinion means anything in my world??? When do you want to step up and bring the best that you and Mr.Goodwrench have to offer?? I don't think that you have the sac necessary to build or drive anything fast....so if you don't want to play...go back to the mule barn and saddle up something more your speed.

Jon B., the Viper guru....master of useless information....why don't you educate me on something other than the difference between valve cover bolts on a Gen 1 and Gen 2?? I get tired of hearing your crap...make like Reader's Digest and give us a condensed version of all the Viper trivia you know..throw in some Zaino coupons and go back to the sideshow you escaped from...You offer NOTHING to the performance world, give it up. OH YEAH.... - censored by moderator! -

The rest of the crowd can be lumped as those wanting to ride the bandwagon and kiss some *** ....and those people I have no time for....This will be my last word on the subject, I really hoped to spur an intelligent debate....it would appear that it was all in vain.

Reaction score

Joe, you have expressed how 99% of Viper owners feel about their car. Kyle's comments about the Viper on this message board say a lot more about him, than the Viper. If you can't say anything good about a person, then say nothing!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

House of Speed,

Is the Viper my dream car, you bet, But I'm only 18 so I don't think my car is a bad representation of where I'm at in my life, I do have University to attend in the fall so blowing all my money on a car isn't the proper thing to do right now. I won't reiterate everything our VCA president said because it's pretty much what I was going to say. So you wouldn't own my car, that's great I really don't care what you would own or what you do in fact own, I just think your pretty sour because you work on SOMEONE elses' Viper and not yours. I come from a family of 2 Vipers, many vettes and various muscle cars, so in reality I'm not dreaming in terms of the Viper.

What I do question is how you can get away with bad mouthing the very car that is HMS' main source of income. I would never bad mouth John as he has helped me personally before, but I do question how such a brilliant entreprenuer would keep someone like you in his shop.

Craig
Dreamer!

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HouseofSpeed:
There are many that said they would not bring business to HMS because of my feelings/presence....Were you going to bring business to us in the first place??? Fifty percent of nothing is still nothing...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a matter of fact I was seriously going to be bringing business to HMS...but not now. I'm scared you may get near my car if it's there!

Are you for real? Do you really work at HMS or did someone just steal your password and come on to the board posting as you just to start a riot?

You've now told everyone on this board to kiss your *** and then follow that up with the comment that you wanted to start a serious debate. A serious debate requires tact. You sound like a very bitter man.

To be honest, I actually agree with some of your points although it takes surgical equipment to cut through your barbs to find any points. I too think that a 488 ci engine should produce more horsepower stock. If you compare the size of American made engines to any European engines, this always becomes a debate. However, I probably wouldn't have started off by telling everyone that they were fanatics. I think you got off on the wrong foot, now your in it to your knees!

You seem to enjoy taunting your potential customers with the "go ahead don't bring your cars to HMS, it won't a make difference to me" attitude. Whats up with that, are you devoid of business sense? If HMS gets no cars, you get no pay cheque...and you may have to start, how did you put it, working at one of our "sno-cone stands". Although somehow I suspect someday I'll be going through a drive-thru and you'll be asking me "do you want fries with that sir."

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WoW ....House of speed, since you are so obviuosly talented why not work for Ferrari or McLaren on F-1 cars?
To come onto this board, represent a company HMS, who has such a huge impact into the world of speed associated with the Viper, and insinuate we are all self dillusional....wow, what are you smoking?
And I forgot the independantly wealthy like yourself don't obviously need us "internet whiners".
Rest assured House of Speed you would be the last person I would ever want to work on any car I own, even it was a Hugo, with that attitude.
This thread started out as to why the Viper was not included in the test, not trashing the cars that were. Having pride in the car we drive gives us the right to wonder why the Viper wasn't in the test as would say a corvette owner or a Mustang owner. When you drive any sportscar you always want to see it teated among your competitors, and sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. You missed the original posts entire point , but elected to come on the board and diss Viper owners.
Tact, obviously something you need to look up in the Funk and Wagonalls.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte