Sustained High Speed Driving/Gumball 3000

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any tips running sustained high speeds on highway. I am running the US leg of the Gumball, figure I would reach out and get any tips out there from people with this type of experience.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Vegas,

How do you define "high" speed and how long is "sustained". What condition is the road in that you'll be driving? Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

I ran the NORC last year and we cruised at about 160 mph for 50 or so miles without any issues in my 04 SRT-10. When you splat a bug at that speed, you will need rubbing compound if you haven't protected your fascia, front hood and fenders. I'd also tape up my headlights and fog lights.

My first comment would be that you should have a hard top for your 04. Autoform makes a good one.

Dan

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No big inputs on brakes or steering.

Be aware that a buzzard or deer on the highway will likely kill you if you hit it.

Tire temperature/pressure monitors might be a good idea.

I'd wear a helmet.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Several tips.

1) 3m clear bra, a must unless you want to repaint your front end after the event.

2) Keep tire pressures on the low side maybe even below stock specs if the weather is hot.

3) Make sure your tires have no patch work, it is very dangerous at high speeds.

4) Check allignment of chassis, and balance the tires if you have not done so recently.

5) Bring a few qts of oil with you and check it at every fuel fill up.

6) Check all your fluids, even rear end and trans.

7) If you plan on going VERY fast then some downforce devices may be advised.

8) Make sure your vec 2 is tuned for longevity not optimum hp. A richer fuel mixture/less aggresive timing to keep your motor together. Maybe even a different pulley to run less boost, or get rid of the supercharger for the event all together.

Hope others with experience on these type of events chime in on things they wish they had done when they did it.

Good luck.

PS. Lots of bail money....

OP
OP
R

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Vegas,

How do you define "high" speed and how long is "sustained". What condition is the road in that you'll be driving? Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

I ran the NORC last year and we cruised at about 160 mph for 50 or so miles without any issues in my 04 SRT-10. When you splat a bug at that speed, you will need rubbing compound if you haven't protected your fascia, front hood and fenders. I'd also tape up my headlights and fog lights.

My first comment would be that you should have a hard top for your 04. Autoform makes a good one.

Dan

My guess on the speed, and i do say guess would be an average of 120MPH or so. The roads are mainly freeway, the I-15 beween vegas and LA, and Highway 93 between the Bonneville Salts Flats (where we get to run also)and Vegas

I've got teamtechs and an autoform bar, will run with that setup.

OP
OP
R

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a test run today to see how the car handles and to see how the engine reacted. The car was pretty solid at 130MPH with the top down. I will run the event with the top up. At 160 the noise was ridiculous, but the car still felt solid.

The engine coolant temp read a steady 185 degrees or so, can't remember the oil temp. Car cruises at about 3,400 rpm's in 6th at this speed.

For those interesed , the run (US leg) starts in Salt Lake City May 5th, overnight at some hotel in SLC and then a few laps at Miller motor sports raceway and then off to the Bonneville Salt Flats for a run there, then down to Vegas, overnight at the Hard Rock. Sun May 7th off to LA and the closing party at the ******* Mansion.

Am video taping the entire thing, should be interesting footage

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you need a co-pilot? I have plans that weekend, but if you really neded my help, I would be more than happy too. Hey, thats what friends are for.

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vegas,
I've run the Silver State a few times (top tech speed 160 MPH)and suggest you look at the TireRack article on tire pressure for high speed driving noted below:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=72

Just to be sure my airbag is armed when using my harness, I got a male seatbelt latch from a junk yard that I clip into the seat latch. I suspect it's armed at all times, but no one at my dealer could confirm it was without the belt latched. Also keeps the chime from going off.

Sounds like a blast. Be safe and have fun.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah,

I always buckle my oe seat belt behind the seat when racing.

Chris, good read on the tire pressure. I ran the NORC last year and only went 35 psi in the stock Pilot Sports. No issues. I'll bump it up this year.

Ending up at the ******* mansion could be tough!

Have fun.

Dan

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4