SVS vipers. Any Good?

G-Spinks AUS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
I live in Australia and found an imported Gen2 GTS Viper set up for racing/track days for sale online. The description mentioned that the car had engine work done by SVS, supposedly to 600hp. The car looks in good condition on the outside from the photos, but I am not sure about the engine work. Does anyone have any experience with the quality of SVS engines?
Ad for viper: https://www.my105.com/ListingDetails/title/1996-dodge-viper/p/1/id/23484

Thank you.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have 1st hand experience but SVSI built many high HP vipers back in the late 90's. Shop is long gone.

Get a leak down test and run it on a dyno to see if it has the power claimed. Keep in mind unless the motor has been rebuilt, SVSI did the work on that Viper 20 years ago.

Here's a link, good luck, Mike

OP
OP
G

G-Spinks AUS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have 1st hand experience but SVSI built many high HP vipers back in the late 90's. Shop is long gone.

Get a leak down test and run it on a dyno to see if it has the power claimed. Keep in mind unless the motor has been rebuilt, SVSI did the work on that Viper 20 years ago.

Here's a link, good luck, Mike

Thanks Mike

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, some of the questions you might have need to be interpreted within the intended use you plan for the car.

While I have seen several Vipers that were modified by SVS "back in the day", I certainly would not be able to unequivocally make a blind endorsement of the work and the longevity of same.

Mike has already made some good recommendations...and, I would start with a visit to a dyno shop...then go step at a time with a thorough inspection. Unfortunately, some of the "claimed" internal mods may not be obvious unless there is a teardown of the engine...be that an elective teardown or an "autopsy".

Are you an engine rebuilder and/or racer with a complete shop? I am not. So, already we would have different expectations, let alone abilities should work need to be done.

As I have spoken with and assisted few owners in your part of the globe, I would say parts can be an issue. ****, parts are becoming an issue here as well.

There is more that could be said if you would like to call me sometime.

Wishing the best of luck,

Steve

P.S. My number is 317 402 9013

Last edited: