SVSi, West Coast Viper, and Elite Motorsports headers

HOdbleFman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm currently trying to decide on which headers to buy. I want stainless so that knocks Belanger out of it. I've considered B & B because I've done some searches for old posts and these seem to be popular. I haven't really heard of many people with SVSi, West Coast Viper, or Elite Motorsports headers. Does anyone have these on their car and care to tell me a little bit about them from their experiences? Also, I couldn't find the price on the SVSi and Elite headers. Does anyone know this as well? Thanks.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
West Coast Vipers will he holding a Dyno day next weekend. If you are in the area, stop by and speak with some of the owners.

I used SVSi's headers in my 96 Coupe. Fantastic quality and workmanship. They used burns collector. Difficult to install, but very efficient. Not only did they increase HP and Torque nicely, but they sounded fantastic.
A little pricy, but worth the price.

Arizona racers partial to B&B.

What car will you be installing them in, and what are your objectives?

OP
OP
H

HOdbleFman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '98 GTS. I'm just looking for some more Hp's for the street. I don't race or anything. I may eventually join the VCA and start going to some events in the future, but I don't forsee a lot of heavy modifications to my car. I'm no where near West Coast Viper. Is SVSi the only one to use the Burns collector?

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have SVS and had Belanger's on my last car. Hp was the same when I dynoed. Belanger's had a little more torque.
Belanger's fit better more clearance. I would call Tom at BTR and order the Belanger's. He promises 50hp to wheels on forged piston cars. I did get right at 50hp. Don't take just my word ask some others as well.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally like the Edelbrock 1 7/8 headers. They do not require any mods to the header, they are easy to install, they have a flex pipe and the ceramic coating has not chipped off like most others do.

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had svsi. The biggest problem with them is that they are "in the way" It took me a long time and many burnt spark plug wires before being able to route them in such a way as to avoid the headers. I bought the car with their headers on it. I would never purchase anything from them knowing what I know about them.

I now have edelbrock. Power seems the same for a lot less money.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are you stuck on stainless? I ask myself what type of exhaust is on my two brand new OEM vehicles.....Yukon Denali XL, Dodge Ram 3500 Turbo Diesel, I'm pretty sure they are not using stainless steel. Some specialty vehicles are using stainless exhaust, but its more of a selling point for higher priced, higher profit vehicles. A KIA has aluminized exhaust and has a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

Have you noticed how much vibration and movement your Viper engine produces and what that does to the more brittle stainless steel?

Have you heard the "tinny" sound that stainless steel produces? If you like it, thats OK.

What about the welds and finish of stainless products? Wouldn't it be nice to have a clean coated header that LOOKS GOOD for folks to see, or do we want to hide them behind the tin-foil shields after our investment?

And the big one..........Is it really stainless steel or just a low carbon steel that will eventually corrode? Look into it.

One final thought......when you purchase your headers and exhaust system and another Viper with a different header, like Belangers for example, out runs and/or out dyno's you, think about that stainless steel, smaller tube, 5 into 1 frame rubbing collector while you are scratching your head.

Just my sarcastic two cents. BTW, aluminized exhaust has helped my Viper run 9.60's at over 148 mph.

Tom

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the posts I have read and the response to the thread I created a while back, it looked like Belangers were the header of choice for the majority of Viper owners.
The problems of rust through on headers like in the 60's and 70's is just a memory on todays "non stainless" headers.
If that is what you have in your mind, forget about that worry. I have not seen 1 post of someone saying Belangers rusted through.

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Stainless headers which are identical the the Belanger but uncoated which really donesn't mater since with a little trim work the factory heat shields will fit over top you have have the easy install along with nice stainless steel. I also offer Belanager, B&B 1 5/8 and 1 3/4. I HAVE YET TO SEE ONE HEADER THAT MAKE A NOTICABLY MORE POWER THAN ANOTHER.