T&D Roller Rockers

H8TOW8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of performance gains are you seeing from 1.7 roller rockers? Arrow or T&D? Which is the way to go? Good bang for the buck upgrade?

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On average most are seeing around 20 +/- at the wheels. Depends on how they were adjusted(referring to T&D's).

Most, but not all feel T&D's/Mopars are the way to go since they are shaft mounted, but the Arrows seem to work well and line up on the vavle stem quite well.

Look at spending around $600 or so for Arrows. Around a grand for Mopars and around $1300 for T&D's. These are retail prices and it is easy ti find a deal if you look around.

ps - Mopars and T&D's are the same, both made by T&D. The only difference is that Mopars are blue and T&D's are red/silver.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pps - also don't forget to change to 1 piece pushrods while you are at it. $125 for 20 Trickflow from Summitt.(will have to check your length to see which ones you need).

OP
OP
H

H8TOW8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good data, thank you Sir. Any negative to this upgrade? Possible/likely to screw up your engine down the road if professionally installed?

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am speaking as a non-expert here and my following comment may well be way off the mark....but...after looking into this some on my own, including searching this forum, I am unconvinced that upgrading to roller rockers in an otherwise stock engine is worth the effort/money. Furthermore, if it is not done properly and the geometry is not correct, you could do some harm. Just my $.02.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good data, thank you Sir. Any negative to this upgrade? Possible/likely to screw up your engine down the road if professionally installed?

The roller rockers are so much more efficient than the stocker and IF installed and adjudted properly, they will only stregthen you drivetrain.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am speaking as a non-expert here and my following comment may well be way off the mark....but...after looking into this some on my own, including searching this forum, I am unconvinced that upgrading to roller rockers in an otherwise stock engine is worth the effort/money. Furthermore, if it is not done properly and the geometry is not correct, you could do some harm. Just my $.02.

The rockers gave my car over 2 tenths at the track and the sotp is very noticeable. Exhaust note is deeper and it performs smoother IMO. I certainly agree IF not done properly(just like anything else) more harm than good can be done, BUT there are strict guidelines one must follow when setting up geometry and drivetrain and if those are adhered to then there will be no problems. There are countless people running these and I have yet to hear of a problem a/w the rockers themselves. I have seen instances where they were not setup properly and the keepers were ate up pretty good. Luckily it was caught before the vavle let go. That was a set of Crowers though.

They really worked for me and certainly worth the money.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dawg,
Have you noticed any difference in the valvetrain sound? I have a very musical pinging or ticking that I assume is lifter or other valvetrain noise. It varies with idle, but given how loud the car is off-idle I can only really notice it then. It sounds exactly like a very faint chime (like you've left a door open in some other car), and once you notice it, it is extremely annoying. I was thinking about doing the rockers for a variety of reasons, and hoped this would take care of this issue.
Thanks,

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes well, mine has T&Ds and the motor sounds like a diesel. It quitens down somewhat after a
few moments, but I know what you mean about annoying.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember 1 thread where there was damage to the cam shaft. The extended travel over time weakened the stock valve springs causing problems

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dawg,
Have you noticed any difference in the valvetrain sound? I have a very musical pinging or ticking that I assume is lifter or other valvetrain noise. It varies with idle, but given how loud the car is off-idle I can only really notice it then. It sounds exactly like a very faint chime (like you've left a door open in some other car), and once you notice it, it is extremely annoying. I was thinking about doing the rockers for a variety of reasons, and hoped this would take care of this issue.
Thanks,

With the stock rockers I never noticed a sound like that. Initially when I put the roller rockers on I noticed A "chattering" and had to go back and readjust. Now the sound is gone.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else in stock form has encountered this noise as well. Have you had it checked by a tech?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've only heard good things about T & D - and if Mopar are the same and cheaper, they'd be the ones.

Roller Rockers are a very sensible upgrade if there are future plans to do other things like cam, headers, heads etc. Also good if you like to spend a lot of time going to 6000rpm. But if you don't want to spend money and change much - don't do it as one thing leads to another.... hot rodding is just like that :p

On a stock engine - only you can decide if 20rwhp is worth the cost.

I agree with JDAWG - the design of the RR is far superior to stock, but they do need expert installation and adjustment.

As a rev head - better springs, cut to length pushrods and T & D's would be priority on my shopping list.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JerrryDey:

If they make noise when you first start the car they are too loose. You can adjust them to quiet them down, on the other hand you may get a few extra hp with them a little loose.

OP
OP
H

H8TOW8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Guys ... all very good data. I went with the Arrow rockers and they are being installed next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tony for finding this. Does somebody know the part #'s for the mopar rockers? Tator? Want to try something at work tomorrow and see what kind of deal I can get.
Thanks all,

Mitch

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc