Talk me out of this!

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a chance to trade up to a 2006 red/silver stripe coupe with 6K miles. I currently have an 02 FE with 6,700 original miles in perfect condition. A local dealer has a the '06 coupe. A difference of less than 10K would probably get it done. Have I lost my mind?

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That price seems pretty decent, an '06 like that can be bought for mid to high 60"s, can you sell your FE for mid 50's? I also assume that by trading you'll only pay sales tax on the 10K difference?
Have you driven a Gen III coupe? It is a much better car. People will debate the looks of one vs. the other, and also debate the long term value of both. I sold a great modified '99 ACR, and while I miss that car, hands down the 06 is much better and I'm not looking back.

troyrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know a New GT500 is better than the Original. But, would you trade in the Original for a new one?

IMHO I really think the Original GTS is a keeper. Especially an ACR.

But, it's your $$$

Trust your gut!:)

viperDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on what interests you more. If you want more performance and refinement....the '06 is the way to go. If you want something that has more potential to be a classic, then keep the FE. I have an '06 coupe and the car is BAD. I can assure you that you won't regret it if you make the change.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
keep the FE...the Shelby example is a good one.

If the price was not part of the decision and you were looking at both in a parking lot, which one would you choose???

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you sound more like a collector than a driver (6,700 miles), I'd keep the FE.

If you plan on doing a lot more driving, 06 Coupe.

OP
OP
R

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Guys! I think you talked me in to keeping the FE. I stopped home for lunch and walked by the car. I think I'd be sorry. I'll have to work harder and add a SRT coupe later.
FE it is!!!

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good choice. The Gen2 body style will always be a classic. I am keeping mine forever and maybe will get a used 08 in the future for road trips.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really believe that Gen III's, especially the coupe's are going to take a big hit when Gen IV's start becoming available. The two cars look too much the same. Why buy a gen III if it looks the same as gen IV but with less horsepower?
Gen I and II are distinct.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS is the best looking Viper to date. If looks are the most important like it is to me(you can mod anything to beat anything) then keep the GTS!

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GTS will hold it's value better and will be easier to sell whenever that time comes.

The 06 Coupe is a more refined ride. If that is what you are after then go for it.

I traded my 01 GTS for an 06 Coupe and am happy with the change since I was looking for the refinement, that is a quieter and more comfortable ride with the same great performance.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell the dealer you'd be glad to trade your "Final Edition" for a cool $10K in your pocket and take that generic '06 coupe off his hands...LOL

Viperchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned both....and wouldn't do it. I ended up going back to the GEN II. You will regret if you sell the FE. Trust me.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a good deal but the deal sounds so good that the SRT Coupe was probably a skip barber car. If you are not bothered by it then I would say go for it but if it is a skip barber car then the price is about average.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang