The belly of the beast (lotsa pics & commentary)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, as I mentioned in a previous post, I had the opportunity to get underneath my car for the very first time yesterday at our KC VCA Tech Day. Rick Maxwell from Woodhouse Dodge came down to tell us all about recall work on Gen II's, as well as go over some of the differences on the SRT-10 besides the obvious. The pictures weren't great (I didn't want to blind everybody that was under the car, so I didn't use the flash), but you will get the idea. Okay, first things first: The oil filter! Yes, it is VERY easy to change!

You must be registered for see images

Also note that aluminum line to the right. That is an A/C line that happens to sit right in front of the oil pan. Here is another picture where you can clearly see it in front of the oil pan:

What is even more interesting is that there are running changes being made on the production cars. How so? Well, Rick pointed out a couple for us (I will show that in a sec), but I just noticed that same A/C line from Janni's pictures of a couple weeks ago:

How about THAT! We were also told that the oil pan has been changed very slightly, probably due to a different manufacturer. There were apparently a couple changes to the frame as well:

The lower circle is where an additional "pad" was placed where a bar connects to the frame (didn't look to see what it was). The upper circle is around a small corner brace that was added. You can see how much the bottom of the car has been sealed off for aerodynamics:

But wait! Do I see FOUR exhaust pipes on this thing? You betcha! While the exhaust has an "H" pipe in the middle, it is actually a full cross-over exhaust system. The passenger exhaust exits on the driver's side and vice-versa. Here is a close up of the pipes and lousy drawing below to show you what I mean:

You will also notice that their is an air deflector in front of the exhaust to help cool it off. Speaking of cool, check out the GIANT holes underneath the front of the side sills where the "pre-cat" is located on either side:

Pre-cat? Sit down for the frightening news: According to Rick, this car has FOUR catalytic converters! There are two "pre-cats" as seen above, as well as two regular cats. I assume there is a muffler in there as well. While I have heard that high-flow filters net some serious horsepower, I would be willing to bet that an exhaust system could also do wonders for the car! Oh, and my previous picture of the icecube tray on the side sill is pretty accurate. Even after some fairly serious driving on a cool day, the side sills were immediately cool to the touch. Not even warm. My guess is that DC went overboard to correct this problem before the production cars and they succeeded admirably. One of the things in front and behind those giant holes were actual air dams that create a vacuum to pull the hot air out:

Another thing they want to keep cool is the rear differential. Here Rick Maxwell points out the opening in the belly pan designed to flow air over the differential, as well as between it and the exhaust H-pipe:

Of course, those awesome brakes need to be cooled too. While I added Porsche air deflectors to my GTS, the factory has installed cooling ducts on the SRT's as a standard feature:

Now, I KNOW my car was dirty underneath (and above too). That's what you get when you actually DRIVE the dang thing. I got a couple coats of Zaino on it today and may try to clean underneath if I can borrow another lift. Have to make it look good before it starts going to the track this season!

Hope you liked the pictures...

Chris

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice photos Chris...

I have a few shots of the side of the car with the side sill covers removed if anyone is interested in seeing them. I will try and post them tomorrow.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems you guys had a very imformative session. Thanks for sharing the info.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks to me that there could be some serious wieght savings by replacing the
exhaust also. My 01 Z06 came with pre-cats (GM did away with them in the 02 model year). I'm sure they are very restrictive although the C.Coupe only rates
at 520 hp. I doubt it has any cats, I could be wrong on this though?

Jerry, I would love to see the exhuast pics.

2charmed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog