The curiosity was killing me, so..... (pics!)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saturday: Turned 500 miles on the SRT.

Sunday: Zaino'ed it, 505 miles on it.

Monday: Still 505 miles on it.

Tuesday AM: Wife dropped off Denali at shop, I followed in SRT. Now 510 miles.

Tuesday PM: Took SRT to Post Office, by shop to check on Denali, stopped at bank and gas station. Now 532 miles on the clock.

Tuesday PM: I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!! BREAK IN MILES COMPLETE. MUST..........TAKE..........TO..........DYNO!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I did. Picture of the car sitting outside MC Racing. Scrunch up your eyes (for you old farts like me) and read the sign behind the car. Definitely need to shoot this in better light:

You must be registered for see images

Okay, enough of the posing, time to strap this baby down and get to work. Heck, might as well show them how the top works too - that way I can enjoy the full throttle symphony that is sure to ensue:

No, that is NOT a fan attached to the back of the car - no airboat tactics here! ;) So, you are just DYING to ask what happened, right? First off, I discovered another EXTREMELY cool thing on this car. You know that nasty ol' "skip shift" arrow that comes on in the tach during first gear below 2,000 RPM's? It has another function too: It is a SHIFT LIGHT when the car hits around 5700 RPM's, only this time it is <font color="red"> BRIGHT RED! </font> Now I assume most shift earlier on the drag strip (I never pay attention, which is probably why I could never quite hit the 11's with the GTS), but this is pretty cool if you shift a little higher. And I wasn't really paying attention to when it came on, it may have been at 5500 (I may have to break down and read that dang manual some more).

Okay, okay! So what about the RESULTS, Chris? For your viewing pleasure:

Yep, the earlier run was 447.0 rwhp and 500.0 rwtq. Not too shabby, and the torque number was pretty cool just because of the exact 500.0. So, we let the car cool down a little bit and started talking about Dyno Day III for the Kansas City Club. Looks like it will be around April 27th for those that are interested. Also inspected a black Z06 they have in their shop with a supercharger and some other go-fast goodies. Dyno's at 600 rwhp! Well, back to the crusty ol' Viper to see what she will pull. Better! 452.7 rwhp and 503.1 rwtq - all SAE corrected. If you were to apply a driveline loss by dividing it by .875 (one of many "guesstimates"), that translates to approximately 517 hp and (gulp) 575 ft lbs of torque at the flywheel. This is with a bone stock car, as I don't think there is anything I can modify it with yet except MGW stuff! The one thing that really stands out for me, especially when comparing it with previous Gen I/II dyno sheets, is the low end torque. This car is over 450 at the rear wheels at 2300 RPM! THAT is pretty darn cool.

Now, the car is "officially" broken in as far as DC is concerned, having crossed the magical 500 mile mark. It sits in my garage now with 562. I still felt a little guilty for doing it so soon, but so be it. I am confident that it will indeed make a few more ponies after some more miles on the clock. It also gives me a decent baseline to work from when it comes to filters, etc. The guys at MC Racing also thought that intake could be "cleaned up" considerably for better air flow. Afterwards we pulled it off and they decided that there was LOTS of room for a supercharger (they are a very large ProCharger dealer and installer). No, I am not even thinking about doing this, as I value my warranty and am too poor to risk losing it.

So there you have it! Your first SRT dyno sheet to pick apart for better or for worse. I am happy with it and think the car will only improve with age. Indeed, this is the first time I have really put my foot into it and it was a nice surprise. On the way home I played a little more and the car seemed to be just a hair more responsive. Must have been from cleaning out those carburetors on the dyno! ;)

Chris

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that's a new high water mark for stock '03 dyno figures. The air's pretty cool out in KC right now, correct? I have a suspicion that keeping the engine temp down probably helps the '03s as much as it did the '01s, which may also explain Jerry's rather anemic result.

Anyway, congrats - it looks beautiful! I can't wait for Liz's to arrive this week!

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet numbers.
Can't wait to see what aftermarket goodies will do for the SRT-10.
From the read of things, we'll be finding out soon.
Exciting!
-Daffy

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

Great numbers, would you by any chance have the uncorrected numbers and what the correction factor was? And what was the weather like during the dyno pulls? Thanks.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Chris, YOU ARE KING! Thank you!

By the way, did anyone notice the sign to the left of Chris' SRT in the picture?

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, guess I need to take mine in today. Need 73 more miles, and should be there this morning. This will give a good comparison on how color affects HP/Tq.

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great numbers, would you by any chance have the uncorrected numbers and what the correction factor was? And what was the weather like during the dyno pulls? Thanks.

Ask, and you shall receive...

Weather was cool and partly cloudy. The dyno is completely indoors in a heated shop. The intake temperature was 61.5 ºF. Correction factor was 0.99 SAE. Hope this helps! Oh, and I like those uncorrected numbers even better! :D

Chris

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man....bone stock...those numbers are ****!

I think this should lay the fears of the doubters to rest.

SRT owners...line those suckers up against some Gen 2 cars and do some real-world 60-roll runs. It would be very interesting to see what they'll do stock versus stock from 60 - 120 or so.

Um...on a private, secluded test track of course ;-)

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, YOU ARE KING! Thank you!

By the way, did anyone notice the sign to the left of Chris' SRT in the picture?

Chris you have to get a picture of that sign up close!!

Now you didn't think I would go all the way down there and not get a better shot of that sign, did you? ;)

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT owners...line those suckers up against some Gen 2 cars and do some real-world 60-roll runs. It would be very interesting to see what they'll do stock versus stock from 60 - 120 or so.

You know, it is interesting you should mention that. I was comparing the dyno on this car to one of our stronger modified Gen II dyno's from last May (same dyno). 1998 with Belanger headers, hi-flow cats, VEC-1, lightweight flywheel, 3" exhaust, tubes &amp; filters. While the SRT squeaks by (10 rwhp and 16 rwtq higher), the interesting thing was the torque on the SRT. I think the most significant improvement on this motor is the smooth delivery of high torque across the scale (see the graph above). How that translates to real-world driving is yet to be seen, but I can tell you that this baby really is starting to come alive - just as Mike from Denver told me it would!

Chris

PS. If you would like to see several dyno sheets for comparison, here is the thread from last June: http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=UBB7&amp;Number=13886 The first car is a Gen I, the rest are Gen II's, including a Hennessey 650. And then there is Gary's famous DLM Gen I... :eek:

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris was kind enough to let me take his black beastie for a spin today (I'm visiting KS on business). I'll say this much -- Chris's car pulls quite strongly from 2500 up to 5500. His SRT accelerates significantly harder than our old stock '01 GTS, which itself ran the 1/4 in 11.9 @ 117.5. It did not however feel as strong as my RT did back when it made 515 RWHP :) I'm going to guess that, in proper conditions, the SRT will run the 1/4 in the low 120s, maybe 122-123.

I promise to 'borrow' my wife's and take it to the track the moment it's broken in :laugh:

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now up to around 650 miles and she really wants to break those rear tires loose. Got a little rear end hop shifting into second a couple times. Also interesting to note one affect the 19" wheels may have had on the dyno: I am pretty sure I topped out at 150 mph in fourth gear in the GTS. This time I took it to 160 mph with the same gear ratio in the SRT...

Chris

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Say, are there any other dyno graphs to be posted yet? Interested to see some curves besides all the ones Jerry keeps posting! :D

Chris

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
&gt; SRT owners...line those suckers up against some Gen 2
&gt; cars and do some real-world 60-roll runs.

I asked my wife to do this with hers against my gen 2, but she declined :(

We've got 900 miles on our SRT now (Liz is commuting in it, she just loves the car) and it's hard to make it hook up in 1st gear even when the tires are warm. Definitely considerably stronger than a stock creampuff. I'll get it to the dyno one of these days to see where it's at...

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
&gt; SRT owners...line those suckers up against some Gen 2
&gt; cars and do some real-world 60-roll runs.

Not a good idea... Ask Chris :)

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a good idea... Ask Chris :)

Oh puhlease! 400+ pounds of people in a stock SRT playing with a not-stock RT with a better driver. He pulled me once, I pulled him the second time. The cars were pretty much even despite driving skills and a lot of added weight. Not to mention mods... :p Next! :D

Chris

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha ha.. I am getting him worked up :)

Sure you had a passenger... but what "Mods"??? Smooth Tubes and K&amp;N? I am sure he will put his dirty filters in and stock tubes and run you again :)

I am just a Heckler browsing from the GENII side of the board.

OK let me say something else here. Greg is FAST. Greg WAXed, Blew Away, Beat, OutRan, Smoked Mark's Supra. Mark runs a big single turbo and dynoed at 586RWHP. This was done also at MC Racing in KC. Mark ran a 10.9 in the quarter. But that is with all the Supra BS they go through. Got to have slicks, need the cool air. It's all crap. Greg in his STOCK RT/10 yanked from him FIVE times. I was there, I watched it.

PS-Greg has never out run me :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4