The end is near

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my Dodge Caravan to the dealer yesterday. It's a 4 year old dailey driver for my wife with 44,000 miles on the clock. My wife said the roof started leaking and it's starting to rust inside of the rear hatch. The van has been well taking care of. After having the van for a day and a half the dealer calls and says they can't fix it. I can't say I'm very happy with the product or the dealer. As far as I know the dealer is not loosing it's fanchise. I would never take my Viper there and it's probably the last time I'll take anything there.

Last edited:

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me, having owned a few Chrysler products in the past - '96 Grand Cherokee and '89 Dodge Daytona GT Turbo - I have little to look back on that was good. The '89 Daytona a total writeoff, total trash, one of the worst cars I ever owned. The Jeep, actually pretty nice, but lots of little things kept breaking, just poor quality of parts.

There is a great difference between making a good, dependable, inexpensive small car and making a poorly designed/made, cheap and not too dependable car. So, how did Chrysler expect to compete with the "good" inexpensive cars that were and are on the market...poor management and bean counter decisions I suspect contributed to it.

That said, I love my '98 RT/10. Had it out yesterday, top off and I remarked (to myself) that the car really rides nicely for what it is (having owned many Vettes in the past that I could not say that about). Clearly having on 6K miles on it helps, but design and craftmanship is key.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
chrysler made two good products #1 the viper #2 jeep bottom line

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad products, poor quality, stuff nobody wants to buy. Sad story with one good chapter (you know which one).
US warns on Chrysler liquidation risk:(

This is the kind of comment that makes me cringe....Has Chrysler made junk? Yea. Do they have the corner on junk? Duh! NO!
Sit in an '02 Grand Am and watch the dash crack in front of your eyes. Sit in a '95 Toyota and watch the plastic on the doors turn into powder right in front of you. Ask an owner of an '01 F-150 how many times they've had to align the front end and replace the front tires. Try to listen to the radio in an '00 Accord and see if the speakers aren't blown. This could go on and on. My point is everyone makes junk. Why pile on Chrysler?
Now, to borrow the phrase, this is just my .02, I'm not bashing you.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the kind of comment that makes me cringe....Has Chrysler made junk? Yea. Do they have the corner on junk? Duh! NO!
Sit in an '02 Grand Am and watch the dash crack in front of your eyes. Sit in a '95 Toyota and watch the plastic on the doors turn into powder right in front of you. Ask an owner of an '01 F-150 how many times they've had to align the front end and replace the front tires. Try to listen to the radio in an '00 Accord and see if the speakers aren't blown. This could go on and on. My point is everyone makes junk. Why pile on Chrysler?
Now, to borrow the phrase, this is just my .02, I'm not bashing you.
There are piling on Chrysler because they are not selling enough cars=BANKRUPT that is not the case with Ford or Toyota.(whatever junk they are making the public is buying it .

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the key here is they make more junk than most, give poor support and are incompetent boobs when it comes to buisness,hence their death or cardiac arrest at the least.Im not a Dodge guy but am a very pro American car guy that never has owned an import.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also think the Chrysler customer service department is a reason they are in bankruptcy. I have not seen a more useless group of people since the last time I watched government hearings on C-Span. After dealing with customer service a couple times over the years and getting ZERO help, it certainly didn't make me want to run out and buy another Dodge product.

Frankster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GM learned the "quality" lesson too late. I'm extremely happy to see GM die because my past purchases of GM products have cost me dearly in constant breakdowns, lost time from work, expensive fixes, etc. I feel for the workers. Engineered in quality wasn't their fault.

I have firsthand knowledge of how GM's engineering would allow the production and use of inferior products like oxygen sensors designed to fail at 15,000 mile intervals, inferior alternators, junk "in-the-tank" fuel pumps, leaky water pumps, failure prone heater cores and just plain crap electronics to name just a few. And this only scratches the surface!

The Japanese design products like these to last in extreme environments well beyond the 100,000 mile mark. Why else do you think the Japanese products have such a good reputation?

Chrysler learned the quality lesson but too late before it could develop a faithful market segment. Personally, I had begun to develop a favorable impression of Chrysler products after buying an 2005 Ram diesel 2500 and a Viper RT-10. My next purchase is going to be an extreme milage vehicle but I didn't see that coming from Chrystler. I guess I'll go to Toyota or Honda for that purchase (do you see the lesson here, GM, Chrystler?).

The inevitable paradigm shift for Chrysler and GM is going to be a new set of leaders with the right mix of pragmatism and vision for the future. And it had better include some serious investment in R&D in order to survive or reverse the reputation for making junk (I suspect it may take a generation to accomplish that so maybe a total "rebranding" is in order).

The old "dead wood CEO's and their good ol boy network" had better be history or the mistakes of the past will only be repeated. Time to realize the good ol' boy network is made up of idiots. It's time to hand off the baton and I mean not just to the favorite few. It's time to get some brains into the mix.

OP
OP
S

Sittingbull101

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the kind of comment that makes me cringe
What should make you cringe is the ineptness of generations after generations of managers who ran a splendid industry from a position of quasi monopoly to bankruptcy. I include in that the absurd concessions to the unions that made them unable to compete worldwide and stateside. The unions did their job, that is maximizing the benefits to their members, the general health of the company be damned. None of those incompetents leaders said once it was not a sustainable business model.
Second, they made such junk that it is now an indelible marker in their former customers' minds. They will never recover from this loss of trust. That makes me cringes.

Revtune

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you from having owned several garbage motors products, they are exactly that. Crapilliac as well. Every one of the things literally started falling apart a month after the warranty was up. The grand am went through 2 transmissions in 40k miles. Got rid of it an got an Acura TL, and never looked back. An excellent car from front to back.

Not to say every manufacturer does not have their "pinto", but seriously, overall the Honda and Toyotas of the world are better overall products. Even my parents Sebring had it's issues, and after it was totaled in an accident, they switched to an Accord and tell me every day how much they love that car.

Important to note though, my 10 year old V10 powered RAM is in the driveway with my 69 charger, and I love both of them.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the problem is FIAT has an even worse reputation

RE: Lexus walks JD Power; Fiat trips up

I don't want to hear anyone complain about Chryslers quality or service, "you ain't seen nothin yet" wait till you get a taste of FIAT. What a sad day for this company. Thanks Cerberus, your goals of milking Chrysler failed, but you certainly guaranteed a painful death at the taxpayers expense.

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I thrilled with an American automotive icon being, once again, run by outsiders? No. But, I am willing to give them a chance because they produce the Ferrari and the Maserati. If they adopt the view that the Viper should continue in a separate subsidiary like Ferrari, it could be the best thing that ever happened to the Viper. I think that giving them a honeymoon period to prove their worth is not unreasonable.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you from having owned several garbage motors products, they are exactly that. Crapilliac as well. Every one of the things literally started falling apart a month after the warranty was up. The grand am went through 2 transmissions in 40k miles. Got rid of it an got an Acura TL, and never looked back. An excellent car from front to back.

Not to say every manufacturer does not have their "pinto", but seriously, overall the Honda and Toyotas of the world are better overall products. Even my parents Sebring had it's issues, and after it was totaled in an accident, they switched to an Accord and tell me every day how much they love that car.

Important to note though, my 10 year old V10 powered RAM is in the driveway with my 69 charger, and I love both of them.

This is exactly why our BIG THREE are no longer the BIG THREE. We welcomed and subsidized cars from "underpriveledged" countries to the point where even the media has pushed our cars into the trash bin. How could we carry on forever when our car magazenes put foreign cars above our own.

Do you suppose for one minute that maybe we have done this to ourselves????????

It is nice to come out with patriotism after the fact, but where was all of this when we really needed it? Do you suppose the cry for help first came when GM and Chrysler were first having trouble? That is when "other" car makers got both feet in our door and started the evolution to where we are today.

Yes, our car maker executives have made many mistakes. So rather than telling them about it up front "we" ran behind their backs and sold out our countries (I include Canada, because we have been no better).

It is sad to see such a great nation cut down by the International manufacturers(my heritage comes from Iowa). I guess you could say they quietly slipped in the back door.

I am glad I am old enough that my current cars will last me the rest of my life and I can continue to say "MOPAR OR NO CAR".

Just my .02 cents(plus exchange)

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
todays news has just been posted:

Auburn Hills, Mich. / Turin, Italy, Jun 10, 2009 -
Chrysler Group LLC and Fiat Group announced today that they have finalized their previously announced global strategic alliance, forming a “new" Chrysler that has the resources, technology and worldwide distribution network required to compete effectively on a global scale. The new Chrysler will begin operations immediately.

As part of the alliance, Fiat will contribute to Chrysler its world-class technology, platforms and powertrains for small- and medium-sized cars, allowing the company to offer an expanded product line including environmentally friendly vehicles increasingly in demand by consumers. Chrysler will also benefit from Fiat’s management expertise in business turnaround and access to Fiat’s international distribution network with particular focus on Latin America and Russia.

“This is a very significant day, not only for Chrysler and its dedicated employees, who have persevered through a great deal of uncertainty during the past year, but for the global automotive industry as a whole,” said Sergio Marchionne, who today was named Chief Executive Officer of Chrysler Group LLC. “From the very beginning, we have been adamant that this alliance must be a constructive and important step towards solving the problems impacting our industry. We now look forward to establishing a new paradigm for how automotive companies can operate profitably going forward."

Mr. Marchionne continued: "We intend to build on Chrysler’s culture of innovation and Fiat’s complementary technology and expertise to expand Chrysler's product portfolio both in North America and overseas. Those Chrysler operations assumed by the new company that were idled during this process will soon be back up and running, and work is already underway on developing new environmentally friendly, fuel-efficient, high-quality vehicles that we intend to become Chrysler's hallmark going forward.
“The same attributes that first attracted us to this alliance – a global automotive company with first-class technology, a devoted workforce, improved efficiency, a strong, global distribution network and an unyielding passion for building great cars that consumers want – are even more true today. While it does not solve every issue faced by the automotive industry today, this alliance, established with the full support of President Obama's Administration, is a very significant step toward positioning Fiat and Chrysler to be leaders among the next breed of global automakers. This has, I know, been a difficult process for everyone involved, but we are ready to prove to the American consumer that Chrysler can once again be a strong, competitive company that produces a full portfolio of reliable vehicles that capture the imagination and inspire loyalty,” Mr. Marchionne said.

Under the terms approved by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New York and various regulatory and antitrust regulators, the company formerly known as Chrysler LLC today formally sold substantially all of its assets, without certain debts and liabilities, to a new company that will operate as Chrysler Group LLC.

Chrysler Group in turn issued to a subsidiary of Fiat a 20 percent equity interest on a fully diluted basis in the new company. Fiat has also entered into a series of agreements necessary to transfer certain technology, platforms and powertrains to the new Chrysler. Fiat’s equity interest will increase in increments by up to a total of 35 percent in the event that certain milestones mandated by the agreement are achieved, but Fiat cannot obtain a majority stake in Chrysler until all taxpayer funds are repaid.

Similarly, the United Auto Workers’ Retiree Medical Benefits Trust, a voluntary employees’ beneficiary association trust (VEBA) has been issued an equity interest in Chrysler Group equal to 55 percent on a fully diluted basis. The U.S. Treasury and the Canadian Government have been issued an equity interest equal to 8 percent and 2 percent on a fully diluted basis, respectively. These interests reflect the anticipated share dilution as a result of Fiat’s incremental equity assumption once the milestones outlined in the strategic alliance agreement are achieved.

In addition to Mr. Marchionne, currently the Chief Executive Officer of Fiat S.p.A. serving as CEO, the new Chrysler will be managed by a nine-member Board of Directors, consisting of three directors to be appointed by Fiat, four directors to be appointed by the U.S. Government, one director to be appointed by the Canadian Government and one director to be appointed by the United Auto Workers’ Retiree Medical Benefits Trust. The Board is expected to name C. Robert Kidder as Chairman. The process of determining additional board members is continuing and updates will be announced as appropriate.

As previously announced, Chrysler has entered into an agreement with GMAC Financial Services to provide automotive financing products and services to the Company’s North American (NAFTA) dealers and customers. GMAC Financial Services will be the preferred lender in North America for Chrysler, Jeep® and Dodge dealer and consumer business, including wholesale of new and used vehicles as well as retail.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Auburn Hills, Mich. , Jun 10, 2009 - As Chrysler Group LLC prepares to begin operations, the new company formed in alliance with Fiat announced an organizational restructuring to focus on the Chrysler, Jeep®, Dodge and Mopar® brands. The new leaner, flatter structure is intended to restore brand promise and dealer confidence. All appointments are effective immediately.

“I personally feel privileged to have the opportunity to lead the new Chrysler and to work with senior management to build this company and our great brands into all we know they can and should be,” said Sergio Marchionne, who today was named Chief Executive Officer of Chrysler Group LLC. “That effort starts with leadership.”

Chrysler Group’s new organization is based on a global brand-focused structure comprised of the Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and Mopar brands, each with full profit and loss accountability. Common Commercial, Industrial and Corporate functions have been put in place to support the development, manufacture, distribution and sale of Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge products and Mopar parts by the brand organizations.

“The new company’s leadership structure has been developed to rebuild and grow the four iconic Chrysler brands,” said Mr. Marchionne. “With a flattened organization designed to give leaders broad spans of control, we are able to increase the speed of decision-making and improve communication flow, ultimately bringing Chrysler Group management and employees closer to our customers.”

To assist the new company in the transition, Jim Press is appointed Deputy CEO and Special Advisor, reporting to Mr. Marchionne. In this position, Mr. Press will be instrumental in the restructuring of the Chrysler Group LLC. Mr. Press served most recently as Chrysler LLC Vice Chairman & President.

Brand and Commercial Organizations

Mr. Marchionne added: “The focus of the Brand organization is to rebuild and grow the company’s four brands, beginning with their strong heritage. The structure is designed to focus on external competition, avoiding product overlap while maintaining the highest possible level of industrial optimization. The new company will align its networks with the brand positions, to restore brand promise and dealer confidence.”

In support of the Chrysler Group’s brand operations, the company announced the following appointments reporting to Mr. Marchionne:

Peter Fong is appointed President & Chief Executive Officer, Chrysler Brand, with full profit and loss responsibility for the Chrysler product portfolio. Mr. Fong will be the lead executive for the Sales organization with enterprise-wide responsibility. He served most recently as the Director of the Mid-Atlantic Business Center.

Michael Manley is appointed President & Chief Executive Officer, Jeep Brand, with full profit and loss responsibility for the Jeep product portfolio. Mr. Manley will also have enterprise-wide responsibility for the Product Planning organization with responsibility for coordinating the product plan and volume requirements of the Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge brand functions. He will work with the other brand Presidents to translate these into operating plans for the product development and manufacturing organizations. Mr. Manley served most recently as Executive Vice President, International Sales & Global Product Planning Operations.

Michael Accavitti is appointed President & Chief Executive Officer, Dodge Brand, with full profit and loss responsibility for the Dodge product portfolio. Mr. Accavitti will also have enterprise-wide responsibility for the Marketing organization with responsibility to coordinate worldwide marketing strategies, brand development and advertising for the Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge brands. Mr. Accavitti served most recently as Director, Dodge Brand Marketing.

Pietro Gorlier is appointed President & Chief Executive Officer, Mopar Service & Parts and Customer Services, with full profit and loss responsibility for the Mopar product portfolio and Service & Parts operations as well as Chrysler’s Customer Service operations. Mr. Gorlier will have shared accountability with the brands, responsible for parts and services growth and delivery and an integrated world-class approach to customer support. Mr. Gorlier joins Chrysler Group from Fiat Group Automobiles and CNH, where he most recently served as the head of the Network and Owned Dealerships organization.

Joe ChamaSrour will continue to lead the new company’s operations in Mexico as President & CEO, Chrysler de Mexico.

Reid Bigland will continue to lead the new company’s operations in Canada as President & CEO, Chrysler Canada.

Following a lengthy career with Chrysler, Steven Landry, Executive Vice President, North American Sales & Marketing, Global Service & Parts, has announced his intention to retire. Mr. Landry has offered to assist the new company in the transition.

In addition to the appointments of the Brand CEOs, in support of the commercial operations, Chrysler Group LLC announced the following appointment reporting to Mr. Marchionne:

Peter Grady is appointed to lead the Network Development & Fleet organization as Vice President. His responsibilities include ensuring that the Chrysler Group’s restructured dealer network operates at the highest possible level to ensure optimal sales volumes for Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge products. He is also responsible for managing Chrysler Group’s fleet sales organization. Mr. Grady recently served as Director, Franchise Planning and Administration.

“Control over commercial and industrial investments is related to the brand,” said Mr. Marchionne. “Therefore we have developed a matrix-based organization where team work and a disciplined management process are at the core of its success. Understanding the management decision-making process and individual roles are key.”

Industrial Organizations

In support of the industrial operations of Chrysler Group LLC, the following appointments are announced, reporting to Mr. Marchionne:

Scott Kunselman is appointed to lead the Product Engineering organization as Senior Vice President. Mr. Kunselman replaces Frank Klegon, who has announced his intention to retire after a distinguished career with Chrysler. In this position, Mr. Kunselman has responsibility for all product development strategy and advance-vehicle engineering. He also oversees product-development processes, testing and validation. Mr. Kunselman recently served as Vice President, Truck Product Team and Core Team Leader.

Ralph Gilles will continue to lead the Product Design organization as Senior Vice President.

Frank Ewasyshyn will continue to lead the Manufacturing organization as Executive Vice President and assumes responsibility for the World Class Manufacturing processes which are in the process of being rolled out throughout Chrysler’s manufacturing footprint.

Doug Betts will continue to lead the Quality organization as Senior Vice President.

Scott Garberding will continue to lead the Procurement organization as Senior Vice President.

Michael Keegan is appointed to lead the Supply Chain Management organization as Senior Vice President. In this position, Mr. Keegan is responsible for the critical volume planning and logistics functions in close coordination with the Brand CEOs. Mr. Keegan is also responsible for driving dramatic improvements in service levels, working capital efficiency and complexity reduction; optimizing demand and supply to benefit balancing the needs and requirements of the individual brands; and, establishing consistent and effective supply chain processes. Mr. Keegan recently served as Vice President, Volume Planning and Sales Operations.

Corporate/Functional Organizations

Mr. Marchionne added: “As we work to rebuild Chrysler to its rightful place, our corporate support functions have a critical role. These organizations provide systems, processes, knowledge and tools to sustain the business requirements. They also ensure consistency across the company and most important, compliance to applicable laws and regulations worldwide.”

In support of the corporate needs of Chrysler Group LLC, the following appointments are announced, reporting to Mr. Marchionne:

Richard Palmer is appointed to lead the Finance organization as Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer. In this position, he is responsible for all of Chrysler Group LLC’s finance activities including Corporate Controlling, Treasury and Tax. Mr. Palmer joins Chrysler Group LLC from Fiat Group Automobiles, where held the position of Chief Financial Officer. Mr. Palmer replaces Ron Kolka who will lead the orderly wind down of Chrysler LLC.

Jan Bertsch will continue to lead the Information Technology (IT) organization as Senior Vice President, Treasurer and CIO (Chief Information Officer). She will continue in her Treasury role reporting to Richard Palmer.

Nancy Rae will continue to lead the Human Resources organization as Executive Vice President.

Holly Leese will continue to lead the Legal organization as Senior Vice President and General Counsel for Chrysler Group LLC.

Gualberto Ranieri is appointed to lead the Communications organization as Senior Vice President. Mr. Ranieri joins Chrysler Group LLC from Fiat Group, where he led the International Communications function. Concurrently he has been responsible for the Communications function for CNH (Case New Holland), a leading manufacturer and seller of agriculture and construction machinery, which is part of the Fiat Group.

Laurie Macaddino is appointed to lead the Audit organization as Vice President. In this position, she will report on a dotted-line basis to the Chairman and the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors. Ms. Macaddino recently served as Vice President, Finance Operations.

John T. Bozzella will continue to lead the External Affairs organization as Senior Vice President.

Barb Pilarski has been appointed to lead the Business Development organization as Vice President. Ms. Pilarski recently served as Executive Director, Mergers & Acquisitions, NAFTA and South America.

Mark Chernoby has been appointed Vice President, Executive Coordinator and C/D Segment Product Engineering. In this position, he will lead the C/D Segment Product Engineering and be the executive coordinator for the management team.

With these appointments, the restructuring of the supporting Chrysler Group LLC organizations begins immediately. Final additional organization structures to be announced upon completion.

“As we begin the process of redesigning the new Chrysler and moving toward our new place in the American – and global – automotive industry, I would like to take the opportunity to thank the men and women of the company for their many contributions,” Mr. Marchionne said. “Chrysler has been through a great deal of hardship and uncertainty over the recent past and I want to recognize their commitment.”

Under the terms approved by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New York and various regulatory and antitrust regulators, the company formerly known as Chrysler LLC today formally sold substantially all of its assets, without certain debts and liabilities, to a new company that will operate as Chrysler Group LLC.

In addition to Mr. Marchionne, currently the Chief Executive Officer of Fiat S.p.A. serving as CEO, Chrysler Group LLC will be managed by a nine-member Board of Directors, consisting of three directors to be appointed by Fiat, four directors to be appointed by the U.S. Government, one director to be appointed by the Canadian Government and one director to be appointed by the United Auto Workers’ Retiree Medical Benefits Trust. The Board is expected to name C. Robert Kidder as Chairman. The process of determining additional board members is continuing and updates will be announced as appropriate.

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont know- My SRT8 and my Viper are the only Chryslers I have ever owned, neither has had a single issue.

On the other hand my brand new Scion xD dash vibrates and rattles, and the speakers vibrate the doors way bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang