The Gen V doesn't ****!!!

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If feel I speak for many of the realists on this forum who keep getting bashed for speaking their mind or in my mind the truth.

The New Viper does not ****!!!!

Its getting real old reading post after post of people bashing (mostly current owners of the gen V) the realist about what is completely obvious about the car, it doesn't ****!!

The car is just a complete performance disappointment. By that I mean 640 HP is nice power and an 11 sec 1/4 mile car is respectable. BUT its not what the majority of previous Viper owners not only wanted BUT EXPECTED! Not to mention what the potential first time buyer of a Viper EXPECTED.

I'm sorry that I'm realist and not a loyalist, but I was so looking forward to the new Viper, made the trip to the unveiling and was planning on buying the car. SRT lost me at hello. And after only about half of the cars built this year being sold. That speaks volumes that I'm not alone.

I have owned a GEN 2 and a GEN 3, I love the look of all of the Vipers but the performance compared to cars of equal and even lesser price continue to out perform it or stick right with it. Sure you loyalist keep bragging about how fast it ran the Ring. How many of you loyalist could even come close to that time? So stop with that argument, your not going to drive the car any where near that level. So lets stick to more attainable goals by all, 0-60, 1/4 mile and 1 mile times.

Unfortunately I don't think Ill see the day where this car has over 700 HP or will out perform the GTR or GMs upcoming super car. Because I think SRT has sealed its fate and the Viper wont be around for more than 2 more model years It takes millions of dollars of R and D for this to happen. And im 99.9 percent sure SRT will not invest any more money in the car. I hope I am completely wrong but once again Im a realist and not a loyalist. I love all cars and performance will win me over every time.

Remember the car does not ****!!! Its just a disappointment to me and many others.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The VCA and Alley Gen V forums are here for people to complain about the Gen V. They aren't here for people with ownership experiences to discuss the car, those of us that bought one figured that out awhile ago.

OP
OP
G

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The VCA and Alley Gen V forums are here for people to complain about the Gen V. They aren't here for people with ownership experiences to discuss the car, those of us that bought one figured that out awhile ago.

With all due respect, when the Gen IV came out how many people that didn't buy the car complain about it or say they were disappointed? I don't recall many threads at all. And those that did buy the car were happy with the upgrade from the Gen III. And the major upgrade was... power and performance.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honesly, I originally felt the same way as you......UNTIL I TOOK THE PLUNGE AND BOUGHT ONE. There are so many other qualities of this car than power. I have owned all prior generations of Vipers and I have NEVER driven any other Viper more than I do this car. It is absolutely phenominal. It is now so well balanced; the power, feel of the shifter, handling, brakes, interior, looks, etc. You feel so much more connected with this car. In fact, I'm selling one my my Gen II's and have a TA on order... If you can swing a Gen V, GET ONE! You'll see what I mean.... :)

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all due respect, when the Gen IV came out how many people that didn't buy the car complain about it or say they were disappointed? I don't recall many threads at all. And those that did buy the car were happy with the upgrade from the Gen III. And the major upgrade was... power and performance.

That is the point.

OP
OP
G

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honesly, I originally felt the same way as you......UNTIL I TOOK THE PLUNGE AND BOUGHT ONE. There are so many other qualities of this car than power. I have owned all prior generations of Vipers and I have NEVER driven any other Viper more than I do this car. It is absolutely phenominal. It is now so well balanced; the power, feel of the shifter, handling, brakes, interior, looks, etc. You feel so much more connected with this car. In fact, I'm selling one my my Gen II's and have a TA on order... If you can swing a Gen V, GET ONE! You'll see what I mean.... :)

I can swing it no problem. Honestly if I cant modify the car, ( power wise ) I wont be buying one. I modify all my cars to the power level that I enjoy. My Gen III I added twin turbos. I dont have a car in my stable with less than 750 HP.

Im glad your enjoying the car more than any other. Thats great to hear. Really it is.

Im just addicted to power and the ability to modify what the manufacturer hands us without having to add a stand alone engine management system.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP: You sound like someone stole your MOJO!

It's true, we now have to lurk in fear of so many other cars who might have equally capable drivers who therefore can equal or best our 0-60 and 1/4 times! :omg:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To each their own. I still own my Gen 3. I didn't buy a Gen 4 because it is the identical car I already had, with some more horsepower under the hood. Many felt the Gen 4 should have just been considered a mid-model refresh and remained a Gen 3. I bought the Gen 5 because it was a completely different car, not because it had more horsepower. I have zero interest in other new cars within the $100-120K range, I simply wanted a Viper.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I just want to post a falm palm pic here .. but,

You want to base perf on 0-60, 1/4 and mile statisitics?? None of this is what the Viper is built for, or ever was built for. There are cars for this, you mentioned one, the GT-R.

The gen5 will never beat the GT-R? Really, because it already has, everytime, even the "bad" ones sent as marketing blunders have beat the GT-R around a track.

The viper is not a fart can straight line stop light to stop light wannabe street racer. It's a world-class road racing car with suspension and gearing for that purpose, a setup that isn't close to being optimized for 0-60 (which you never do on a race track) or 1/4 mile racing. It just happens that the gen5 is so strong it happens put low 11 sec numbers up for 1/4 mile etc.

The thing that is disappointing you is the thing that the car isn't built to do, you need to shop for another car. All previous gens have been the same, over 50% of the gen5 budget was spent on stability control & electronics, the big chassis enhancement is a crossbrace for Pete's sake.

The point of the Viper is it sets & holds records on road courses, if that's not what someone wants in a car they shouldn't be buying a viper, any gen. You can point & shoot fast in a straight line much better in a mustang, let alone a GT-R or any other car, where braking & turning isn't involved.

Nothing personal to the OP, but I swear this gen5 forum is so weird. Viper = open track car, gen5 released and sets open track record, we= "disappointed". Huh?

Gen5's aren't selling becasue SRT marketing ***** balls & Ralph isnt' kicking their **** for some reason, there, dead horse beaten upon.

I do club events, I do open track trackdays, I do drag strip days, and I understand the viper isn't built for all of these, anymore than any other car is. If you want to excel in some of the other areas too then this is where modding comes into play, I do have a gripe on that with SRT/MOPAR, but I don't expect them to take a world-class road car & turn it into a drag strip car, but I'd like the ability to mod my car, especially when Ralph says 1/3 of owners like to mod their cars and so they built the engine to accomodate it. Second expired horsey beaten.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You want to base perf on 0-60, 1/4 and mile statisitics?? None of this is what the Viper is built for, or ever was built for. There are cars for this, you mentioned one, the GT-R.

The gen5 will never beat the GT-R? Really, because it already has, everytime, even the "bad" ones sent as marketing blunders have beat the GT-R around a track.

The viper is not a fart can straight line stop light to stop light wannabe street racer. It's a world-class road racing car with suspension and gearing for that purpose, a setup that isn't close to being optimized for 0-60 (which you never do on a race track) or 1/4 mile racing. It just happens that the gen5 is so strong it happens put low 11 sec numbers up for 1/4 mile etc.

The thing that is disappointing you is the thing that the car isn't built to do, you need to shop for another car. All previous gens have been the same, over 50% of the gen5 budget was spent on stability control & electronics, the big chassis enhancement is a crossbrace for Pete's sake.

The point of the Viper is it sets & holds records on road courses, if that's not what someone wants in a car they shouldn't be buying a viper, any gen. You can point & shoot fast in a straight line much better in a mustang, let alone a GT-R or any other car, where braking & turning isn't involved.

Nothing personal to the OP, but I swear this gen5 forum is so weird. Viper = open track car, gen5 released and sets open track record, we= "disappointed". Huh?

Gen5's aren't selling becasue SRT marketing ***** balls & Ralph isnt' kicking their **** for some reason, there, dead horse beaten upon.

I do club events, I do open track trackdays, I do drag strip days, and I understand the viper isn't built for all of these, anymore than any other car is. If you want to excel in some of the other areas too then this is where modding comes into play, I do have a gripe on that with SRT/MOPAR, but I don't expect them to take a world-class road car & turn it into a drag strip car, but I'd like the ability to mod my car, especially when Ralph says 1/3 of owners like to mod their cars and so they built the engine to accomodate it. Second expired horsey beaten.

You said what I originally wrote but deleted (you put it in better words!)

I am a first time buyer and bought a V because it is a track monster. Can't wait to drive it next year on the track!

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the point of this thread? Many others where those who are disappointed have discussed their gripes at length. Why do members of previous Gens feel compelled to rag on the new one? Sales of the V may be slow, but resale values of previous Gens don't indicate anything too spectacular.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you guys ever seen anyone from SRT at a dragstrip? It isn't their deal, and the Viper reflects that. Its a road car, better than ever. Just sayin...sorry

OP
OP
G

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the point of this thread? Many others where those who are disappointed have discussed their gripes at length. Why do members of previous Gens feel compelled to rag on the new one? Sales of the V may be slow, but resale values of previous Gens don't indicate anything too spectacular.

Serious?? Resale value is what your concerned with?? Then you may want to buy a Ford GT or a H1 Alpha. Those are the only recently American made automobiles that are going up in value.

If you understand my thread im not raging on the car. As you can see its titled, It doesn't ****!! Becasue it doesn't, many are just disappointed. Owners, potential buyers and just plain car enthusiasts.

You obviously missed the point of the thread.

OP
OP
G

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you guys ever seen anyone from SRT at a dragstrip? It isn't their deal, and the Viper reflects that. Its a road car, better than ever. Just sayin...sorry

Yes SRT sent the car to Palm Beach International Speedway this past April. In hopes of a 10 sec pass. Drag radials and an excellent driver.

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thread seems to be a result of your need to express your "complete performance disappointment" in the car, and let that perhaps help validate not wanting to buy one...I simply question why you feel the need to express it in yet another thread. As one of the prospective buyers that you refer to, I don't agree with any of your points, and the common criticisms of mostly previous gen owners just aren't an issue for me and many others. If you have a need to express disappointment for many, I'll counter with my need to celebrate it.

My decision to purchase one isn't simply based on acceleration, and whether a future Vette or whatever will beat the Viper, but rather it's stunning and world class overall performance...and the many other factors beyond performance that influence a sports car purchase. The car itself is fantastic, and a unique and different alternative to more popular models. It's not for everyone...and that's kind of the point. There are many reasons why it hasn't sold well, yet, with SRT flubbing the launch in every way imaginable way, and with many dragging it through the internet mud. Testing and numerous reviews of the TA are all extremely positive, and other testing will show all Vipers in a much better light than what MT was dishing. The perception of the Gen V should turn around nicely, and the good news is that those who want it to become a drag monster might just see their wish come true!

Let's try expressing our praise of the car, recognition for its beauty and desirability as an alternative to the everyday fare, encouragement for on-going improvement, and optimism for its future. I hear being positive is contagious, and I make it a point to avoid negative people and their views. Had it not been for the informative contributions of a few, and the balanced account of actual Gen V owner's experiences, I'd have been out of here a long time ago. Instead I expecting to be enjoying the stunning performance of a Gen V on track next summer, and sharing those accounts with other fans and supporters!

Hopefully my post is clear enough...and I'm done here.

Bruce

Great post Bruce. I entirely agree.

After seeing the Gen V in person before I even owned my Gen IV, I was smitten. It is the most beautiful car to behold in person, especially in the amazing and expensive red color that you never want to get a scratch on. It has every great feature that all of the previous Gens never had, which include some amazing modern day creature comforts and some of the nicest interior appointments that you can find on a car short of a Ferrari or Bentley IMO. It has more power and out performs the previous models, and even plays a bit nicer in the sandbox with owners due to some new non-invasive nannies that are also fully defeat able for the real purists out there. I personally don't see the problem here outside of all of the negative naysayers and the fact that some of the competition (Corvette) has really finally become a major contender as direct competition for the Viper because of the dramatic improvements they made. Keep in mind that the Viper had a shoestring budget to the Corvette and they still came out with an absolutely amazing car that excels past every previous Gen in virtually every way. Keep in mind that I own a Gen IV and love it more than anything, but would add a Gen V to the stable the second my wife would ok it. Again, aside from bumbled marketing and launch, the 2 major problems are the fact that there is currently so much great competition out there (and yes I also love the new C7 and think it's an absolute world class car as well), and secondly if they want to market the Gen V to a broader buyer base, they will have to build an option for an automatic with paddle shifters whether we like it or not. I would never buy one like that, but the Lambo, Porsche, Maseratti, etc owners who they intended to reach are not necessarily the same purist driver who want a raw brute that doesn't even have a tip tropic or DSG-like transmission.....

Again, I don't own one, but plan to one day, and all the complaining and whining is killing me because its also spreading negativity about the car and is causing others to think or feel the same way and will end up being one of the major contributing factors to the downfall of the Viper. I want to see many more generations of this car, so lets start being more positive and enjoy it for what it is, which is a pretty awesome and beautiful car, and an improvement in every way over what existed before. Forget what the competitors did with dramatically larger budgets, and focus on what it is and will be that no other car in the world is.....a raw and excitingly brutal Viper!!!!!

TRACKDAY

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Bravo sir :2tu:

I couldn't have said it better myself.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:2tu: Excellent post, Dan. Bulls-eye on all points, thank you.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many more of these threads are going to be posted. If you don't like the Gen V then move on. I think people just like to cry about irrelevant things.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to love that G3, it was perfect from the factory. Wait, the vettes ate it alive and the first 300 had to have the valves reground, however, it was perfect.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you understand my thread im not raging on the car. As you can see its titled, It doesn't ****!! Becasue it doesn't, many are just disappointed. Owners, potential buyers and just plain car enthusiasts.

You obviously missed the point of the thread.

The thread seems to be a result of your need to express your "complete performance disappointment" in the car, and let that perhaps help validate not wanting to buy one...I simply question why you feel the need to express it in yet another thread. As one of the prospective buyers that you refer to, I don't agree with any of your points, and the common criticisms of mostly previous gen owners just aren't an issue for me and many others. If you have a need to express disappointment for many, I'll counter with my need to celebrate it.

My decision to purchase one isn't simply based on acceleration, and whether a future Vette or whatever will beat the Viper, but rather it's stunning and world class overall performance...and the many other factors beyond performance that influence a sports car purchase. The car itself is fantastic, and a unique and different alternative to more popular models. It's not for everyone...and that's kind of the point. There are many reasons why it hasn't sold well, yet, with SRT flubbing the launch in every way imaginable way, and with many dragging it through the internet mud. Testing and numerous reviews of the TA are all extremely positive, and other testing will show all Vipers in a much better light than what MT was dishing. The perception of the Gen V should turn around nicely, and the good news is that those who want it to become a drag monster might just see their wish come true!

Let's try expressing our praise of the car, recognition for its beauty and desirability as an alternative to the everyday fare, encouragement for on-going improvement, and optimism for its future. I hear being positive is contagious, and I make it a point to avoid negative people and their views. Had it not been for the informative contributions of a few, and the balanced account of actual Gen V owner's experiences, I'd have been out of here a long time ago. Instead I expecting to be enjoying the stunning performance of a Gen V on track next summer, and sharing those accounts with other fans and supporters!

Hopefully my post is clear enough...and I'm done here.

Bruce

Will at RSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read post after post of guys complaining about the performance level of the new Viper. But it always seems to be the guys that don't own them. Almost every actual owner I know loves the car and having driven a few myself, I find that the Gen 5 is my personal favorite. If you don't like the base performance level of the car, then buy one and mod it. Just like the Gen 4 cars, you could easily install some basic bolt-ons and increase your performance level. For the guys that really want more power, we had a twin turbo car complete before there were any bold-on options.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always get a kick out of seeing threads like this. Complainers and the the counter-complainers and then freeforall with everyone complaining about everyone complaining. Everyone using the same tactics against each other lol. Funny thing is I understand both sides of this coin and I feel both sides have merit. So whats the solution to end the back and forth? Probably nothing less than an ACR will get everyone on the same page just like last time.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread is amazing. I can't believe the trolls have not appeared...yet!

Anyway, all the above Gen V owners, including myself, are ******* into the wind. It's like trying to convince a non believer (of any type) to believe in something.

Ain't gonna happen! How do you believe in something?...you experience the belief, IE: own a Gen V in this case...nuff said :).

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My big disappointment is that my single local Dodge dealer where I bought my Gen III, will as of now, NOT be selling the V. That means they will not be servicing it either. So it is either a IV or maybe a Porsche? Shame that the V is not an option any more.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My big disappointment is that my single local Dodge dealer where I bought my Gen III, will as of now, NOT be selling the V. That means they will not be servicing it either. So it is either a IV or maybe a Porsche? Shame that the V is not an option any more.

Has your dealer actually said they won't service them? This does not sound correct, as any Chrysler dealership can perform warranty work. The 5 isn't much different than the 4, beneath the fancy skin.

As for the complainers and trolls on the VCA, they have all but ruined the Gen 5 forum for us actual owners of the cars. We get accused of "defending our purchase" or being prideful of our cars, but many of those complainers will exhibit the exact same responses about their own generation of Viper. Why is it okay for one, but not the other?

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has your dealer actually said they won't service them?

I have a constant contact there that said it is unlikely that the dealership will buy into the V with tech training/tools etc. They sold the II, III, IV so no issues there. I am thinking of a 2010 newish IV, but started to look at similarly priced Porsches.

As far as the Gen V forum. I find it healthy and informative. It's an open forum and folk are going to present their views whether based on fact or fiction.

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People still by Lambos and Ferraris, when most of them don't have any dealership network in the same state, much less city. It seems you give up too easily, or just aren't that interested in a Gen 5. Either way, it is your decision. Personally, I wouldn't let a town dealership dictate my vehicle purchase, ever.

There are no special tools required for the Gen 5, that weren't used on the Gen 4. Service manual is on CD, and all dealers can access that. How far do you have to drive to the next Dodge dealership? I drive past two of them to get to one that I prefer.

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably have to go about 60 miles each way for the right dealership for the V. My interest in the V is about 6/10. Just seeing one in person would likely increase my interest level greatly. 90+% of my driving is very short distance (5-10 miles). I drive the III to work 2-3 times a week. It takes me 4 minutes. I will enquire further with my local dealer (talk to someone else there).

Spoke to them. At this time, they are not buying into the V and therefore will not be authorized to perform any warranty work on the V. He explained more but I wasn't taking notes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang