1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Quest for 250 plus MPH

Discussion in 'General Viper Discussion' started by FST SNAKE, Sep 25, 2019.

1. FST SNAKE

FST SNAKE VCA Member - Midsouth VCA Member

So I have been working toward building a Viper capable of breaking 250 MPH for some time now. I've had success with my Gen 4 convertible topping 235 MPH in the past and felt like the aero etc on a coupe was capable of higher speeds so on October 26 I will make an attempt at what would be a new speed record for a Viper. As I understand it the top speed in any distance any Viper has ever done was 246.742mph out at Bonneville Salt Flats. I know some monster Vipers have posted big numbers in half miles and mile events but I am more interested in speed vs the distance. I calculate it will take from 1.25 to 1.5 miles to get Blucifer ( a 2006 coupe ) past 250 MPH. The car is being prepped now by Jamie Kwiatek over in Lakeland FL. He's done some major modifications to the entire car from a custom built cage to numerous mechanical changes. The car is a twin turbo, heavily modified 522 CI G3 engine. There's probably not a stock mechanical component left besides the block and differential housing. Attached are a few pics of some of the progress and I will update as the build moves along. 2006 Viper 1.jpg Bulkhead Flange.jpg Roll Cage Welds.jpg Cage Paint 5.jpg

2. MoparMap

MoparMap VCA National President

That car is gorgeous. That's the not factory blue, is it? Looks like it's got some more candy on it or something.

3. FST SNAKE

Thanks but it is GTS Blue with silver stripes, it's probably the shop lights that make the color look so different.

4. diamond head

diamond head Enthusiast

That's a beautiful car. Do you have any videos of the previous runs?

5. FST SNAKE

6. FST SNAKE

Top is installed back on the car. Coming together and will be either a 250 MPH Viper by this time a month from now or we will be looking for the next date to make another attempt.
    2006 Viper Top Installed 1.jpg 2006 Viper Top Installed 2.jpg

7. Daniel SRT-10

Daniel SRT-10 VCA Member - Great Lakes VCA Member

I am vary interested to know if the aerodynamics of the exterior have been changed to go that fast, I’ve only been to 180MPG, it still had allot more left at 180 but I could tell the headers were about to glow red hot, but the water and oil temp were rock steady at 210F. I’m not sure if the car would catch on fire but I wasn’t taking any chances. Cooling system has a triple pass radiator so I know that’s not going to be an issue. What are your thoughts? I have a full Belanger exhaust by the way.

8. FST SNAKE

We do some minor changes for better aero such as fog lamps are covered, all seams are taped off with helicopter tape, mirrors and wipers removed, we lower the car overall but the nose is lowered more than rear, that keeps a little more rake in the car as anything over 200 tends to push the rear of the car down to the point the tires will rub the wheel wells, the belly pan is one piece with no openings and we carry it all the way to the nose, the diffuser is modified and has more strakes that carry past rear bumper. This one always gets people as they never seem to believe it but we wax the car with a hydrophobic wax, it can make maybe 2 mph or more difference at the big end. There are other minor changes but that's the ones that help the most. As to temperature I'm only at WOT running thru the gears for about 41 seconds so I don't see a huge change in gauge temperatures although I'm sure the turbos/exhaust are glowing by the end of the run.

9. nautoncall

nautoncall Enthusiast

Updates please!!!

10. FST SNAKE

Updates: The attempt was scheduled for Oct 26th originally and after we got our badges to get on facility on the 25th we got a call cancelling the 26th and moving the date to Sunday the 27th which was better since it was suppose to rain Saturday anyway. That didn't last long as they called and cancelled Sunday shortly after that, they don't give any reasons, the next open date was Dec 7th. It turned out that some unmanned space plane which had been in orbit for about 2 years landed early Sunday, which explains why we got cancelled. I did go up to Wanna Go Fast in Ocala FL to do some shakedown runs and work out any issues. We loaded up and went there on Oct 20th. Our main purpose was to do a few shakedown runs, make sure all the changes didn't cause any issues. I just expected to maybe do a few 150 MPH passes as I didn't want to take any chance of breaking something before our 250 MPH attempt. We unloaded the car about 11 and got in line, I got a friend in a SC Camaro to stage beside me with the understanding he would leave first so if I got loose I would be behind him. I leave the line and it doesn't take long to realize I have no traction control, car is just spinning tires, I go to second, more of the same and that went on for 2 more gears. I think that run ended up at 173 MPH. Back to the trailer and we all are discussing what is wrong. We look at the traction control switch and realize it's in the off position and back I go for the second run with it switched on. This was going to be a 190-200 MPH run except for the fact it was a repeat of the first run, so we learned it's something else besides the switch. I think that run was 177 or so. At this point I'm second in manual class and 1.48 MPH out of first. I decide while the experts are discussing what is wrong I will go back out and run some more. It's actually a little fun to have a car on the edge, kind of forces you to drive it a little bit. I turn the HP down, go to position 3 in the tune and run a 183+ with the car still spinning as I crossed the line. That put's me in 1st of 32 cars. I decide if position 3 is faster than maybe position 2 is better with even less HP so I switch and go again. Turns out position 2 is set up for 93 and I'm running C16, it pulls a lot of timing and although the car spins less it also is slower. That run was my slowest of the day at 164. So what we learned from the day was we have to fix that traction control issue, everything else worked great, and the driver has little if any control of that right foot. I'm so use to NA and progressive nitrous cars which are very linear/predictable and this car is about as far from that as they come. I think once the traction control system is back and we program in some boost by speed I will not have any issues taking it to big speeds. AT this time we are just taking our time and going over every aspect of the car from tires to parachute and making sure it's ready. I'm putting it back on the dyno to do some more tuning adjustments at Larry Macedo's shop over the weekend. Then spend more time going thru every nut and bolt on the car, maybe do some normal every day street driving just to loosen up the new gears in transmission. If there are no mechanical issues on Dec 7th I should be able to break 250 hopefully. I will keep you advised of what happens.

11. FST SNAKE

Here is a video from Wanna Go Fast in Ocala of my first run ( 177 MPH I think ), I definitely didn't know what to expect and I'm sure my lack of finesse shows. The clutch is a quad carbon and very much like a light switch, either on or off and no in-between, then add the boost on top of that which is also similar to the clutch, on or off and when it's on it's amazing how quickly it produces big power. I'm in and out of the throttle constantly trying to keep it moving straight and also forward but not overly successful with either. One thing I'm convinced of is that once all those issues are resolved this thing will be brutal.

20191020_115715_1.mp4

ViperJeff likes this.
  12. steve e

steve e Viper Owner

Very cool please keep us posted

13. FST SNAKE

Had the car on Larry Macedo's dyno on Saturday and he has started making tuning adjustments. At 15 lbs of boost it made 1027 HP, at 16 lbs of boost it was 1097 HP, we need to work it thru the 5 positions eventually have the top position at approx. 22 lbs of boost. We still need to fine tune the AFR as the car is running very rich but that will come as we get the boost levels set. I don't really need huge amount of HP/torque as I'm not trying to break 250 in half mile or even 1 mile distance. I have 2.3 miles if I need it but if it goes as planned I should only need 1.25 to 1.5 miles at the most. I expect anything north of 1300 to 1350 RWHP will be enough to get the car past 250 with the weight, aero, gears, differential and tires we are running with, at 22 lbs of boost we should make more than that. Less than 3 weeks to go, I'm hoping it all goes as planned and I don't have to go back for round 2 at some later date.

ViperJeff likes this.
  14. FST SNAKE

Well we are down to 4 days before we have to load up trailer sometime Thursday so on Friday we can get our badges, get the car thru tech inspection and do our prep work at the runway. We have multiple tunes in the car, each a little more aggressive than the previous one. We set up the boost by speed from zero to 240 MPH and increased it based on where each gear tops out. What we have left to do in next few days to fine tune the traction control, install scramble boost button ( my just in case I'm at 249 and the timing lights are coming up ), install a body pan under the engine with oil absorbent pads ( this is just in case engine goes boom ) to keep oil from reaching the rear tires...……….I really hope this was a total waste of time, fasten the fire suppression lines to the cage, mount the revised diffuser, mount the new shift light, remove the wipers/mirrors, pack the chute and then wash/wax it because anything that makes the car slicker makes it faster. After that it's loaded up, along with all the C16, generator, fans, spare parts and tires etc. Once Saturday arrives we will run the half mile, maybe a few times to gather data, I won't push the car hard at all, maybe a 190 MPH run as the whole goal here to break 250 and I won't risk breaking the car in a distance I know it can't reach 250. After the half mile runs are over we will set up for the mile and make a few passes again probably just gathering data in various tunes. I will probably run it hard in at least 1 of the mile runs but I suspect in reality I need 1.25 miles min to make the 250 MPH. After the day is over I will post an update, hopefully that we set the record but good, bad or ugly I will let you know. We will have a lot of pics and videos of the runs and will post those as the editing is completed. This has been a long time in the making and lots of people put some serious effort into making this attempt possible. I hope it all comes together and by late afternoon Dec 7th we have reached our goal.