The Spousal Report...10 days touring and tracking the Viper TA

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce has suggested I post a blog from "the wife's" perspective so that all you guys out there can share this with your "significant other" if you would like. Our trip is going to take us from Toronto, Ontario Canada to Donegal, Pennsylvana to see Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater home and tour the gardens. Then we are off to Danville, Virginia where Bruce will be tracking the TA for two days at the Virginia International Raceway with his friend Claude, in his GTR. From there, Claude and his wife Kathryn and Bruce and I will be heading to Washington DC for 3 days for some sightseeing. Our next stop will be Philadelphia for 3 more days and then home. We are going to find out how good a Grand Tourer the Viper TA can be for a trip like this!

We have been planning this trip for a while now and Bruce is so excited about taking the car on a longer trip, and of course, going to VIR. Me, I love road trips and doing it in this car is both exciting and honestly a bit worrisome. But not for the reasons you think. I have never mastered the art of packing lightly for any vacation and when I look in the trunk of the Viper I realize my packing habits are definitely going to have to be altered!

I started with strict instructions that we had to have room for a helmet, towels (to dry off the car when we have to wash it), tools and no more than two soft suitcases (his & hers), and if we had to, we could put a couple of pairs of extra shoes under the front seat.

Bruce took the car in for an oil change, brake service, bumper to bumper check, and then washed it so it would be the best looking car on the road. Oh wait...it is the best looking car on the road whether it is clean or a little dusty!

Day 1

Today, Sunday, June 22nd, we left and here is what we actually got in the car. All of the above along with a bag with all the things needed to keep me looking beautiful, 4 pairs of shoes for me and 3 for Bruce, a suit bag with some "dressier" clothes for when he takes me out for dinner, a small cooler bag and a couple of other bags. Of course there are all the electronic toys including a computer, iPad, iPod, Cell phone and a keyboard for the iPad to help in recording our adventure. Oh and one more thing, a small pillow if I needed to close my eyes. And we still had room to put a bit more in. I packed lighter than normal but I will let you know at the end of the trip if I could have packed even lighter.

So far the trip has been wonderful. I love the Nav system. It is so easy to use and the fact the driver can see it in the center of the guages is even better. We have Sirius XM tunes playing, air is on and believe it or not, the exhaust is not really that loud cruising at highways speeds.

It never fails to amaze me the attention this car demands. So many people craning their necks to see the car. So far, the best, was a family of four with two teenage boys in the back seat of the car, hanging their phone out the window to take a picture of the car. Bruce pulled up beside them and the smiles on their faces and the two thumbs up was hilarious. We waved and then took off like a lightning bolt.

The rest of the trip was uneventful and we made it to the hotel safely. What a great day.

Day 2

We went on some great twisty roads today going to see two homes designed by America's most famous architect, Frank Lloyd Wright, named Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob. Bruce was wishing he could go faster as the roads were perfect for the Viper. It got a bit exciting driving to Fallingwater as we were a bit late and had to make it to the front gate by 4 or we would miss our tour. It was fun and a bit scary driving these roads but the car handled beautifully. Turns out the Viper is a great car for the two of us to travel in and I am starting to get used to all the attention it attracts. Another great day in the Viper.

Here's a slide show of a few pictures...

http://s49.photobucket.com/user/GT2860RS/slideshow/Viper TA/Viper TA trip to VIR June 14

We're heading off in the morning for the few hour drive to Danville, VA to meet up with our friends, and prepare for two days of tracking for the guys, and sight-seeing for the gals.

Deb H.

2014 Black TA 23/33 new track toy http://s49.photobucket.com/user/GT28...ary/Viper TA, 1994 Supra TT long-term track toy, 1993 MR2 T longer-term track toy, 2010 XKR track toy sacrificed for TA

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little trick to carry helmets is to put them on top of the fuel tank, behind the headrests.

That shelf can also be used to carry a flatened out hanging bag.

You can also stuff flat stuff behind the seat backs if you do not need to tilt them all the way back.

Soft bags can also be put just in front of your seats on the floor. Your feet still have lots of room in the footwells.

Sounds like a fantastic trip...enjoy the journey.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love it....every time I have traveled in my RT/10, I feel like a vagabond traveling with many small bags.....but it does work! I have always been amazed at how much stuff you can get in these cars, especially the GTS, when you pack appropriately. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Day 3

We set out for VIR this morning, meeting up with our friends in Buena Vista, Virginia. Travelling along Hwy 60 over the mountains was a thrill in itself. A bit unnerving at first with all the twists and banked turns along side a very, very steep cliff, but once we slowed down a bit it was quite enjoyable. We drove along the Blue Ridge Parkway for a bit and stopped at a lookout. Spectalar is all I can say about the view.

We drove about 7 hours today with a couple of very quick stops along the way. I really find the car quite comfortable but need that stretch every once and a while... which is not unusual for me even in my SUV. Doesn't take long for me to limber up and then we are back at it for another 2 1/2-3 hours on average it seems. I must say though, having a nap in the car is a bit challenging. Not alot of room to lean back but I did manage a short snooze. Again, the noise of the engine really doesn't bother me, and Bruce has ear plugs that he'll use very occasionally as his ears seem more sensitive.

We went to VIR tonight for Bruce and Claude to complete registration for the event tomorrow. What a beautiful location that the track is at. Rolling hills, lots of greenery and the hotel looked lovely sitting on the hill overlookiing the track. It is going to be very, very hot there tomorrow. It was 30 degrees today and they are expecting similar temps tomorrow. Bruce is off to the track tomorrow at 7:45 am and Kathryn and I rented a car so we can do a bit of touring and then we will meet up with the guys around lunch time for a ride around the track. The last 15 minutes of the lunch hour, they are allowed to take a passenger and Bruce assures me, we will be following a pace car which will keep the speed down so no need for me to be afraid. Sounds like fun. Well, that is it for tonight. Another great day in the Viper.

Deb H.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is. We have been there twice. The last time was 2005 so, assuming it is still run the same way, it would be a good place to spend a few days. There is quite a bit to do there and the ***** range up the road a piece is incredible with excellent instructors.

Hi Bob,

No we didn't, but that looks like a great place!

Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21