The SRT is going to give the Porsche GT2 a run for the money!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Over the past few months, I have had little good to say about the SRT. Mostly, I've been critical. (Just like I was before I got my GTS)

But now I look at it this way-

The SRT will inch Viper's status up closer to king of the exotics, (even at its comparatively reasonable price, no small feat in itself)

From what I have been hearing, it is closer to the Porsche GT2 in performance and handling than is the current GTS, for far less money than you would have to shell out for the GT2. And the SRT actually looks better than the GT2, in my opinion.

So have I started to chant the "who cares if its ugly if its faster" mantra? Actually, no. I haven't. I still like my GTS better, looks wise.

But I am proud that DC has made a decent sports car, that again raises the bar. Naw, thats too soft. Let me restate that-

I am proud that DC has made a car that KICKS ASP! I'm looking forward to seeing some impartial test numbers. (I think they will be REALLY GOOD numbers!)

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said. I totally agree.
yesnod.gif

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Lets go, SRT!

Strike up the band, they're waving our flag again!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
one by one folks will see the light (and I don't mean that as a slam), and before we know it, the SRT will be the champion of Vipers, FINALLY getting even with the world for years of unfair slams in various tests
smile.gif

Vic, I agree 100%!

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My sentiments word for word. Most of the SRT-detractors will change their minds for the very reasons you indicate. Performance #1, #2 #3, styling #4.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No matter how much we like Vipers, the new one is bound to get slammed in the car rags. I'll bet it still finishes last, or close to last, in any future comparison tests. They will all say how much more refined it is then the old Viper, mention it's more mild and 'mature' looks, but still carp about plastic this and plastic that.

The more refined (and slower) Eurpoean cars will still get the editor's choice. I think that's a good thing. The only sports car I've ever owned that the magazine loved was an E36 M3 and it was a dissapointment.

Jim

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Hodel:
No matter how much we like Vipers, the new one is bound to get slammed in the car rags. I'll bet it still finishes last, or close to last, in any future comparison tests. They will all say how much more refined it is then the old Viper, mention it's more mild and 'mature' looks, but still carp about plastic this and plastic that.
Jim
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim--I really hope you are wrong. If you're right, I will be completely surprised.

On the contrary, I think its conventional looks are going to make it the sweetheart of the conventional car mags.

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I won't have money for another sports car for conceivably, well, years, so-

I'll just watch the SRT conquer from the stands!

Here's wishing all the certificate holders the very best time with that car.

Cheers!

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the SRT will win kudos initially in magazines such as C&D and MT. The SRT will be declared the supreme ruler in MY2003 of American sports cars. As Jim mentioned, they will applaud the "refinements" that have been made. But...

1. The magazines (such as SCI) that seem to have a major affinity for rear engine forced induction cars (*cough* Porsche *cough*) will not be swayed. They will say the SRT is an improvement but will still declare the Porsche to be superior, which it actually is in terms of heritage, interior refinements, etc. And if you prefer driving a Porsche on the track, you will never "get" a front-engined monster-torque car such as the Viper, no matter how much more power, top speed, or road holding it has.

2. [At the risk of re-kindling a discussion which has (almost) died a peaceful death in the "Update from DC on 2003 Vipers" thread....]
The SRT fame will be fleeting with the arrival of the GT-40. The SRT thunder will be stolen. So I hope Dodge enjoys the SRT fame for the 10 months it lasts....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte