The tire pressure system is, oddly, a great feature

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Depending on outside temp, starts off around 29/30.

But, the hidden secret is, it tells you when your tires are warmed up enough! When it settles around 34, you have a good indication they are warm enough for fun.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, mine are set at 31 F, 30 R when cold.
Yesterday at the track I would end each session at around 36 F 35 R and grip was really fine.
Dont know yet what's best for Street or Track ?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At an autox event I had an ir camera. In my case at 35 psi the tires started to balloon and I lost traction and times increased. The centers were over 160. I dropped them down to 30 psi hot and the temp across the tire equalized and times improved.These were track pack tires. Lesson - I now start at 26 psi.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad my Viper doen't have a Blood pressure system to check my BP when I drive my viper... I am sure it hits the roof.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone else used the "IGNORE" function. I put krated into my ignore list. It is wonderful, it makes the forum into a real viper website.

OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At an autox event I had an ir camera. In my case at 35 psi the tires started to balloon and I lost traction and times increased. The centers were over 160. I dropped them down to 30 psi hot and the temp across the tire equalized and times improved.These were track pack tires. Lesson - I now start at 26 psi.
Interesting. I may do an autox here soon - thanks for the Info

And yes, I put that idiot on my IL

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny thing about tire pressure is that everyone I talked too, including experienced track rats, have vastly different recommendations. Still confused, but your method makes sense to me, Jack.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An infrared camera gives an excellent indicator of the sweet spot. On my car it is 29-30 psi lap temp for autox. That was on a 80 deg day on a fast autox course. I was constantly on the limiter.

Launch with ESC off, then, turn it on after the launch.

Funny thing about tire pressure is that everyone I talked too, including experienced track rats, have vastly different recommendations. Still confused, but your method makes sense to me, Jack.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An infrared camera gives an excellent indicator of the sweet spot. On my car it is 29-30 psi lap temp for autox. That was on a 80 deg day on a fast autox course. I was constantly on the limiter.

Launch with ESC off, then, turn it on after the launch.

I just purchased an IR thermometer for measuring temp across the tire's width. Not as accurate as some other measurement methods, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
infrared thermometers in general have a very large spot size when compared to a high end IR cameras. The thermometers tend to average at a very wide angle, therefore, over a large area. Try to get as close as possible when you use the thermometer.

I just purchased an IR thermometer for measuring temp across the tire's width. Not as accurate as some other measurement methods, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
infrared thermometers in general have a very large spot size when compared to a high end IR cameras. The thermometers tend to average at a very wide angle, therefore, over a large area. Try to get as close as possible when you use the thermometer.

Will do, thanks