The Video you MUST See. Confirmed Ferrari 348 CHALLENGE car Kill...

Bob Pommer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please enjoy.

The web site is:

challenge car kills...

Please "RIGHT MOUSE CLICK the files titled... Challenge 1 and Challenge 2 and hit "Save Target As", then download and view. You will get a complete lap of Black hawk farms racetrack. The one labled "flying" is of some sweet cars and me flying by the start finish at about 135-140..

I just finished editing this video from Blackhawk. I was there on Wednesday with my old buddies from the Ferrari club who were gracious enough to let me come to the track with my "Dodge"...

1st... the cars that were there were mostly 355's, 360's a few spyders, an M5, an Aston Martin V12, a new SL55 a SWEET Ferrari GTO and two 348 Challenge cars with regular drivers... The challenge series is one where they basically travel all over the world and open for the formula one events and stuff.. Full race cars, slicks, roll cage, beefed up power, no exhaust, full slicks, stripped interior, about 2600lbs. I guess you would call them professionals as they do this for a living... They were at the track doing some testing..

The other cars mentioned were all completely toast... I was all over them like white on rice... Not even worth the upload time. The challenge car I thought would smoke me because of the slicks, aero weight and drivers...

At this event, the rules are no passing in the turns however if someone is all overy your backside, you have to let them pass on the first straight.

I filmed the entire lap in two sections so they would fit on my server which has a 5Meg per file maximum and they are not as high a quality as the other ones.

These turned out amazing...

At the end of the day...

I did not have to move over once and I ended up passing every car there...

In the war against the Ferarri, It looks like Dodge dropped "the big one"

I am still grinning...

:cool:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: The Video you MUST See. Confirmed Ferrari 355 CHALLENGE car Kill...

Once again, AWESOME!! If you want to upload a LARGE file of the Ferrari vid (no size limit), let me know. Oh, and why does the car sound like it is squealing the tires as you cross the finish? Is there a turn immediately following it? Hard to tell...

Chris

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but the Ferrari in the video is not a 355 Challange car, but a 348 Challange car. There is a big difference between the 348 and the 355, most liken it to night and day. I do, considering i just sold a 1992 348 and bought a 1997 355 Spider.

OP
OP
B

Bob Pommer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You are correct I must of had brain fade... "I changed the original post.

It is a 348 not a 355 but it is a challenge car which is different animal than a stock machine. There were some 360's there as well that didn't make the video cut that got passed with equal aplomb. The lap time in the video with the challenge car was about a 1.27, Later in the day I was turned my best lap at 1.23.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe I missed something. The videos don't show any passing.

OP
OP
B

Bob Pommer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It is in the challenge 2 video. They did not allow for outright passing at the track, but if someone was glued to your rear bumper you had to get to the right and allow the person to pass. The snake took up his entire rear veiw mirror for 2 laps before he relented and let me by... It is not a true "BONZI" dive down pass, but hey... I only do this a couple of times a year and I have to drive the thing home.... And it is still pretty cool to watch...

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

From the video, watching the lines the 348 driver was following, it looks more like a guy out for a Sunday drive. Im not a racer or anything, but just looks that way to me. As for a 348 challange car being a different animal than a street 348, not really. Slightly lighter, stiffer suspension, still only 312hp.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Either way, bottom line is the SRT toasts a stock 355 too.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

The pass begins right at the end of the Challenge 2 vid.

If you have never been on track before, this might look easy. Try it for your self first, and then you can see how it feels.

Great job, Bob! Excellent videos, fun to watch. Thanks for posting.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Heres a reply on the Ferrari forums:

First off I like Vipers so don't get the wrong impression here, but a few points to consider:

1) Black Hawk Farms is hardly what I would call a world-class racetrack...more like a go-kart track.

2) I can keep up with and pass in most cases a well-driven 348 Challenge in my "lowly" 300 hp 15 year old BMW M5 Club Racer. My 355 C will absolutely annihilate a 348 Challenge. You could put Michael Andretti in the 348 and that car still wouldn't stand a chance against my 355 C.

4) Rob is actually incorrect about a first generation Viper beating a 355 C anywhere but at the drag strip. Both cars (355 C and the Viper) race against each other in SCCA Regional and National in T1 class. At Watkins Glen the track record for a 355 Challenge is a 2:04 something. The record for a race prepped T1 Viper is 2:09 something set by Jeff Altenburg (may be a second ro so faster since his record a few years ago), about 4 seconds slower.

At Mid Ohio Race Track Bobby Archer did a 1:38 at last years run offs about the same as Jim McCormick's 1:38 at Mid Ohio in 1998.

At Road America which is a real power track (over 3 miles long) the track record at the SCCA June Sprints set in 2001 set by Bob Shader in a Z06 T1 was 2:29. Bobby Archer (a professional Viper racer) set a 2:31 last year.

Michael Loui ran a 2:28.74 in 2001 at Road America in his 355 Challenge at the Challenge Series event.

At VIR International Racerway which has two humongous straights the fastest lap time for a 355 Challenge was set in 2001 by Phil Shearer at a 2:08 flat. Fastest time for a T1 Viper is 2:09 set at this years MARRS II race in May. Jesse Reed set a 2:09.992.

At Summit Point raceway the T1 record is a 1:18 flat for a 355 Challenge. The Viper comes in third with a 1:21.58 and the Z06 comes in second with a 1:21.31 set this year in April at SCCA Nationals.

5) The Challenge series has never opened up for any F1 races in Europe only here in the US at Montreal and Indy.

6) They (Ferrari Challenge) are not even close to professionals. The top two or three drivers in the series have possible semi professional talent but the rest of the grid (other 20 cars) absolutely *****. A bunch of 50-year-old fat guys with a Skippy license who couldn't cut it in any form or SCCA racing.

Most of these guys have trouble getting around the parking lot at the local McDonalds let alone a racetrack.

7) That's a 348, which weighs closer to 2900 pounds and doesn't look like it's going very fast at all. Listen to the engine...doesn't sound like 8500 rpms to me. Also a 348 Challenge is nothing more than a 348 streetcar with safety equipment and a beefed up suspension. Brakes are stock and engine has maybe 15 more hp.

8) Lastly.........you said no passing in the corners so I assume this is a friendly, low key, track event or drivers school. Go to any car forum and you will see the following posts nearly every day...watch my (fill in the blank...M3, Mustang, Subaru, Corvette, 325is, blah, blah, blah) pass this 100K Viper, Ferrari, Challenge car, NSX, ...etc.

Doesn't prove anything except the fact the poster is an idiot trying to boost his ego. Does anyone really think a 240 hp M3 can beat a 500+ hp Viper or 380 hp F355 at any track?

People get all caught up in what car they passed without considering what DRIVER THEY PASSED. I never ever have seen a post stating "I passed Andretti in his Viper in my lowly M3". It's the driver not the car. I have seen some Vipers and Ferraris driven so slow that I could pass them in my wife's Audi Avant Wagon on snow tires. So what???? That doesn't mean diddlysquat about my Audi.just that someone in the Ferrari was driving Ms. Daisey!

I hounded Charles Arnot's Daytona winning Ferrari 333SP's and Benny Ciaola's F40 LM's at Summit Point for few laps stuck to their tails (both cars have in excess of 600 hp). Doesn't prove a thing about my Challenge car except that I am faster than either of them. I can do a 1:19 at Summit about what they in their cars. I could crack 1:15 to 1:14 in those cars.

I have also seen Matt Karson (F Chatter also w/ 355 C) hound Benny’s 333SP at the Glen for an entire session. A 333SP should be nearly 15-20 seconds faster at the Glen than Matt's 355 C. He simply a better driver/racer.

9) Check the video link below to see two 355 Challenge cars (mine and Rich Liebhavers) pass a Viper driven by a BSR Race instructor Mike Adams so fast we nearly peel the paint off his car.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/videos/jon355c/355chase.mpg

10) The only first generation Vipers that are faster than a 355 C, are the heavily modified 550-650 hp monsters that show up at Viperdays in unlimited class. These cars are 60-70K Vipers that have another 50-70K in upgrades and are completely stripped out.

11) THE ONLY Viper that will eat a 355 Challenge is the new Viper Club Racer, which is a true race Viper, and a [******] great car. I inquired with two Dodge dealers in my area about possibly buying one of the first batch, which Dodge was selling for about $100,000. Seems the first batch of cars was already sold out by the time the car magazines featured the car (and us Ferrari owners found out about the car). Apparently Viper owners and those who run in the Viperdays club were signed up for the car before one had even been built. The next batch of cars will be sold in the 120K region and the last batch for 140K.

Dodge did their homework on this car and it's truly a great race car but for 140K you can get a 360 Challenge that will only be a tick slower at most tracks.

For 150k you can get a slightly used factory Porsche 996 GT3RS. While it only has about 420 hp it will annihilate either a 360 C or the new Viper racecar. At the Glen which is somewhat of a power track a T1 Viper does a 2:07-2:09, while a 355 C does a 2:05 and a 360 C does a 2:00 flat. A fully spec'd 996 GT3RS running in Grand Am does a 1:52. The new Viper racecar might be 7-9 seconds faster than a first generation T1 Viper but it ain't gonna be nearly 20 seconds faster.

12) Over one lap at a select track the new generation Viper might be able to stick with a 355 C. Maybe at Texas Motor Speedway or Road Atlanta. But with equal drivers over the course of several laps...NO WAY! The Viper (not talking about the club racer) is still a streetcar with street suspension and street brakes. The difference between a 355 C and a 355 streetcar in terms of handling and suspension are like night and day. The brakes on my car come off the 333SP, which in its sprint car form runs 720 hp and hits well over 200 mph at LeMans and Daytona. Those same brakes have run an entire 12-hour Sebring race with Indy car standout Max Papis beating the •••• out of them.

The suspension in a 355 Challenge is completely different than the streetcar and is a true race suspension. Unlike the 348 it's not a matter of putting in some stiffer springs. The whole suspension was ripped out of my car when we converted it to a Challenge car.

A Viper, any Viper is always going to leave a 355 (any 355) in its dust at a stop light battle. No contest there. A 355 will hit 150 mph from a dead stop in 25-27 seconds. A Viper will easily do it in 20 flat.

At the track it's a different ball game though in most cases a Viper will still beat a 355 streetcar at anything other than say Black Hawk Farms or maybe Lime Rock (both small tracks).

A 355 C is a different story and the only Viper that will be competitive and beat it is the new Viper racecar.

I seem to recall that Carol Holdfellder won several SCCA races in a 355 Challenge beating a slew of Vipers at Mid Ohio.

No trying to start a big Viper vs. Ferrari debate as both are great cars but very different. Viper is brute force with American "big block" torque thumping iron while the 355 is a high revving screaming 9000 rpm car with great handling and good tossability (not sure that's a word) through the corners.

But the facts don't lie. In T1 even at power tracks like VIR and Road America the 355 Challenge beats the T1 race Viper. Note I tried to locate lap times that were run in dry weather conditions for comparisons.

By the way, have you seen the new Viper Race car?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Heres a reply on the Ferrari forums:

snip to get to something I know about...

At VIR International Racerway which has two humongous straights the fastest lap time for a 355 Challenge was set in 2001 by Phil Shearer at a 2:08 flat. Fastest time for a T1 Viper is 2:09 set at this years MARRS II race in May. Jesse Reed set a 2:09.992.

Snip again....

Stay tuned please - that was Jesse's FIRST RACE, in a car that has VERY few T1 legal mods done to it (i.e. no ACR shocks / adjustable, no Quaiffe, no track alignment, no exhaust work).

That is all.

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Blackhawk farms a go-kart track?? I don't know many kart tracks that get you up over 120 mph, do you??

Blackhawk is actually a great test of a car's handling, far better than a giant like RA. The reason that the car mags test cars at smaller more technical courses like blackhawk is that they are a better test of a stock car, rather than a test of the size of ones **** like Road America.

Not many people are willing to keep their foot down while bearing down on a concrete barrier wall in a car with no roll cage like you would have to do at RA. I know I am not. I enjoy my life too much.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great video but noway did you pass that GTS.That guy pulled over from looking at that video..And to be honest with you, how much do you think the new Sebring would pass the GTS by??That video shows a GTS pulling over to let you go by...

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

"SRT is a street car with street brakes" (paraphrased)

Yep, world record stopping power- 60-0 in 97 feet, which is no small "feat". Ha ha, get it, no small "feat"? Ok, I stop now...

Aren't there specific restrictions on Vipers in T1? Don't know, just asking. And hasn't Bobby Archer been really dominant there, despite the anti-Viper restrictions?

I thought that T1 was yet another series that tied the Viper's hands behind its back. Just like the 24hr at Nurb., going on now, where the Viper has to run a smaller gas tank than the rest of the field.

Bob Pommer will continue to extract the performance from his SRT, and continue to "fill up the mirror" of his Ferrari pals, until they relent. One amature driver, relenting to another amature driver, because his car handles great, stops great, and generally kicks azs for a lot less money. Its not even prepared, stripped, nothing, and he is making others feel the heat. Way to go, Bob!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Allan, you are suppossed to come back with-

Yeah, but Ferraris are real racing cars!

Then I say: Ferraris may have been way out in front back in the fifty's, but they are just too expensive to maintain, and there are many cars that can run with them now, that cost much less, like the SRT.

You: Vipers are crudely built, hastily engineered, and don't handle

me: The SRT beat the Muci in the slalom in MT's recent test

U: The MT test doesn't mean anything, come out to play and I will spank your azs

me: My Viper penis is bigger than your Lambo penis

U: My Lambo will smoke your Viper

me: Yeah, if the wheels don't fall off!

U: Ferraris rule

me: If I buy an SRT and put some cash into it, it will be faster than a Ferrari

U: Not faster than an Enzo!

me: The Enzo doesn't qualify as a street car, becasue its unrealistically expensive, and has a tiny model run of only a few hundred units, so its not really what you could call a "street" car, and besides, you have to be invited to buy it. Have you been invited to buy it? Why do you defend and worship a car you will never own?

U: My internet penis is bigger than your internet penis

me: You know, most of Italy's local governments are controlled by the Communist Party. Are you sympathetic to Italy? :usa:

U: Oh, no! Not the flag! I give up!

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vic, thats funny. Say all you want about Ferrari i agree with most of it, although we are comparing a 2003 Viper, to a early model 348, some 10 years older. Things would be different if it were a 360 or 575M.

As for my Lambo's wheels falling off, well thats ok, just watch out for broken valves and burnt legs on your Viper!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Ha ha! If I could afford a Ferrari, I'd be all like, "Look, I'm cool, I've got a Ferrari"

Then I'd be in the garage, eye F'king it every chance I got.

But I've got my sights on another car, we can't really call it a Ferrari killer in the strictest sense, (damm that Enzo), but at least its a 360 killer, and its American! (All rise, put your right hand over your heart), as the music starts: "tant-ta-ta-taaa", the Ford GT!

Unless its really, really light, I don't expect the GT with that 500HP will upset many super cars. And not much room for upgrades, since its already a blown mouse motor. But thats not why I like it so much. I like the shape of it, I think it approaches art. Always liked it, ever since I was a little Vic.

Sorry, Bob, for hijacking your thread.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like the Gt40 also, but am awaiting delivery of a Gallardo and a shortly a Murcielago.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Alan, have you heard of CarGraphics USA?? They hook up Porsches, Audies and BMers..A friend of mine who owns the Americanbusiness part will be getting the first Gallardo delivery. Do you know Hershell from that company???Delivery date Sept.Blk and yellow..Two of them to be the first in America.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

I like the Gt40 also, but am awaiting delivery of a Gallardo and a shortly a Murcielago.

Lets see, uhm, Gallardo, is like $150,000, right? Plus the Muci @about $280,000 makes $430,000, which is only a stones throw from the $675,000 Enzo. Why dont you hold out for the Enzo, in case someone doesn't keep theirs? Or will you be getting one of those as well, in addition to the Lambos? You must be made of money. You are in finance, I see. What kind of finance do you mean? Are you a lender of loans? Collecting interest? Broker? Commodities? Sorry to pry, but I want to know what you know!

OP
OP
B

Bob Pommer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ferrari Viper Wars..... The saga continues...

Allan,

"Sunday Drive?? Go Cart Track??"

First, Thank you for those who have repsonded to Allans remarks. I would have sooner, but just saw them.

A few points... If I may...

1. I do this for fun. No Rollcage, 2 kids, and I drive to and from the event in the car I track.

2. The car in your video that you seemed to have a hard time passing in your 355 Challange appeared to be a 348 Challenge car.

3. The Viper you smoked was a Circa 1990's Gen I. which is the equivilant to like a 328 in ferrari terms.

4. You missed a shift near the end of the Video

5. Blackhawk I will agree is no Road America but it is far from a "go cart track, there are 1 section that is good for 130mph, 1. at 110, a sweeper that you are doing 80+ and very technical course in general. You will hear in the "flying" clip that I am shifting on the straight into 4th at 122 miles per hour and still am on the gas for few seconds.

6. Given the challenge car had SLICKS, on, increased aero, lighter weight and a slight increase in power, it should have done better on the tighter track. On a longer track such as Road America, the power to weight on the SRT would have "obliterated" it even more.

7. The lap I video taped was a 1.27, Later in the day without someone in front of me, I was turning 1.23's So essentially I would have lapped the Challenge car after 14 laps or so.

8. I agree with your assesement of the Challenge car drivers, not being "Shumacher" quality... And the fact that they do not open for formula 1 all over the world. I have only been to see the Forumula 1 live in Montreal and Indianapolis and they opened for both, so I assumed is was all year round. Thank your for clarifing. I stand corrected... I have attached the drivers and schedule link.

As a counter point, these drivers do spend all year racing and testing all over north america, which makes them slightly above amature status. They race 8-10 times a year and probably spend 60+ days a year practicing. I get to the track a total of about 4-5 times a year. I would love to do it for a living but again... 2 kids... So I have fun when I can...

http://www.ferrarichallenge.com/2002/na/schedule/schedule.asp?id=8

9. As for the Sunday after noon drive comment... Well thats just uncalled for... I would agree I was only at about 9/10's for that lap, but I assure you that it was nothing like a sunday drive. The reason you couldnt hear the 8500rpms. was due to the "Ludwick Von Dodge Syphony in V10" next to the camera mic..

10. I noticed you don't have listed in your car section that you have an SRT-10. If this is correct, why are you on this board talking trash?

11. I have have the good fortune to own and track a 550 Maranello, Driven 355 and 360 challenge cars and street cars, and now own the SRT-10 and can actually make a comparison based upon actual experience with a fair amount of time behind the wheel of all of these cars. If you are going to represent yourself as an "authority" on this topic, can you say the same?

12. I think the 360 is one of the finest cars ever made, all around. It feels like your driving a solid peice of aluminum. Its one of the few cars that have the same brake feel and handle on par with the srt-10. the 360 spyder is one of the funnest cars I have ever driven next to the SRT-10. They are completely different in nature, obviously. The 360 Spyder feels like a Ducati on 4 wheels with an 8500 RPM redline. The Viper feels like a Harley on 4 wheels. The 525 FT/lbs of torque is abosultely intoxicating... The 360 and the 355 you have to wind up pretty good to the peak power. Not alot of torque. The 355 is like a 360 Light.. it is also one of the funnest cars I have ever driven. The spyder is a kick. The chassis is not however in the same league as the 360. the 348 and 355 are a lot more similar than the 355 is to the 360. The 355 has more punch and handles a bit better, but is essentially the 348 basic layout improved upon. the 360 is a new animal. The 550 is a different car all together and is an amazing car as well. Huge torque, amazing brakes, way comfy. You can read in an earlier post why I traded it.

The stats don't lye the new SRT-10 out performs the 355 and the 360 in EVERY catagory. Even a few on the new ENZO...

To put this into perspective.... The new ENZO $650K does the following as stated in this months road and track.

Enzo SRT-10 Advantatage
Qtr Mile 11.1@133">11.1@133</a> <a href="mailto:11.7@123 ENZO
60-0 Braking 109FT 97FT SRT-10
Lateral G's 1.02 1.04 SRT-10
Slalom 73mph 70.4 ENZO
0-60 3.3 3.9 Enzo

As you can see although the Enzo is much more desirable car, if you just look at the stats, the real advantage is on the power... "Easily" fixed on the Viper for about 30G's... Stock, it out brakes and has more lateral grip than the ENZO... all for the low low price of 85G's.....

I also just got a message from a guy on the Ferrari board where my video apparently got posted. He indicated that the driver of the video you posted was of Mike Adams a semi-pro driver and someone other than you. He was actually appologic for your post.

At the end of the day it brings a huge smile on my face driving it as I am sure your 355 does you... it is a sweet car....

I am an enthusiast who is trying to share some experiences with those who have and those who have not but would like to take their auto to the track.

So in summary... Enjoy your car... Ill enjoy mine... Drive safe and sideways where every possible...

Bob

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Interesting comparisons and all, but also remember that the SCCA seeks parity among T1 racers for good racing, not to see which car is best. A T1 Viper has restrictors and a much higher weight limit than a T1 Ferrari or Corvette.

I can't afford to race T1, so I race spec cars. I prefer to get waxed by a driver rather than a car. For fun in just lapping, rather than door-to-door racing, I'd like to see how a 360 does stock for stock, against a SRT at a local track. I can supply the SRT, anyone want to come to MotorSport Ranch in Texas and see how lap times shake out? A local driver with a 355 challenge car is quite quick, but I can't get Hoosiers on my SRT (yet), so there is a tire disparity.

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

kverges, please let us all know how you manage Hoosiers on your SRT, many of us would like to do the same, actually I'd be happy with Pirelli Corsas or Michelin Pilot Sport Cups if they were available in 19s. I checked with Hoosier and they are not planning to make 19s any time soon, and I can't see how 18s will fit on the SRT rear with the emergency brake in place as is, unless possibly something like the Kinesis wheels with 19" centers and 18" rims with less center drop might clear. I might call Kinesis this week to see so I will post any encouraging info.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bob, if you would of read the posts, youd see that none of those comments were mine, but made by a person on the Ferrari board. I merely cut and pasted them. I know an Srt-10 is much faster than a 355 all around.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Also Vic, the reason i would not buy an Enzo, is because id rather open up my garage, and see my Diablo, Countach, Murcielago, Gallardo, F40 and hopefully Pagani Zonda C12 S, rather than 1 Enzo.

Also, not in finance anymore, but resort sales.

OP
OP
B

Bob Pommer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Allan,

I stand corrected.. My appologies for the "venomn". You know there is nothing worse than an "EX" anthing... as an Ex ferrari guy, my new set of fangs can come out from time to time on the subject...

Had you actually been the one who said those things... Thats what I would have replied with. As you did not... DOH!!!!

Have fun and enjoy your toys...

No hard feelings??