The Viper LIVES!

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am very happy with this news. BUT what about the other entity( U.S. Government) that owns part of Chrysler? Will VIPER be able to survive OBAMA's WRATH?

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am very happy with this news. BUT what about the other entity( U.S. Government) that owns part of Chrysler? Will VIPER be able to survive OBAMA's WRATH?

I don't think Obama hates Chrysler or Viper. He just wants better gas mileage. What's wrong with that? My 08 gets 22mpg highway (with the tall 5th and 6th gear). The entire 6.4L Hemi in the next gen SRTs should get 25mpg+ highway. That's pretty good for the top of the line performance division of a car company. With the 4 bangers becoming more popular again and with the EV and hybrids, CAFE should be met. So long live the SRTs.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think Obama hates Chrysler or Viper. He just wants better gas mileage. What's wrong with that? My 08 gets 22mpg highway (with the tall 5th and 6th gear). The entire 6.4L Hemi in the next gen SRTs should get 25mpg+ highway. That's pretty good for the top of the line performance division of a car company. With the 4 bangers becoming more popular again and with the EV and hybrids, CAFE should be met. So long live the SRTs.

gee, I wonder what kind of mileage the Presidential limos get???? or will he be switching to a Hundia or maybe a Prius:dunno: On second thought maybe all government vehicles should be Pruis(es?) that might prevent the local cops from killing people be driving so fast.

VIPER FOREVER!!!!!

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about letting the marketplace decide if cars should get better gas mileage or not?

Uh, we tried that, it failed....in the 70's, 80's, 90's, and 2000's! It clearly didn't work, thus, the mass exodus to Japanese "fuel efficient" (and numb) cars. Oh, and the fact that the American companies continued to make bigger and less fuel efficient cars led the their ultimate demise and bankruptcy. Where has everyone been?! Obviously, union contracts and other legacy costs didn't help.

Why do so many people think that better gas mileage is a sin? And hypothetically, if they did kill the V10 or V8, many hybrid V6 and twin turbo V6 get a heck of a lot more power than many V8s and with better gas mileage. Anyway, this is a discussion for another thread.

As long as SRT keeps making great products that get better gas mileage (which is not too challenging with newer technologies), we should have no problem.:2tu:

Last edited:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh, we tried that, it failed....in the 70's, 80's, 90's, and 2000's! It clearly didn't work, thus, the mass exodus to Japanese "fuel efficient" (and numb) cars. Oh, and the fact that the American companies continued to make bigger and less fuel efficient cars led the their ultimate demise and bankruptcy. Where has everyone been?! Obviously, union contracts and other legacy costs didn't help.

Why do so many people think that better gas mileage is a sin? And hypothetically, if they did kill the V10 or V8, many hybrid V6 and twin turbo V6 get a heck of a lot more power than many V8s and with better gas mileage. Anyway, this is a discussion for another thread.

As long as SRT keeps making great products that get better gas mileage (which is not too challenging with newer technologies), we should have no problem.:2tu:
You got that all wrong... it's when America tried to compete with the fuel efficient vehicles that they got slaughtered. We're good at big and brash... let the **** and eurotrash slug it out for MPG. If there were no CAFE and we just build the cars people want, we'd be a whole lot more profitable. No one here will willingly trade their Viper for a SMART car. The Camaro is flying out the dealer floors as is the challenger srt8, and the high end mustangs. Eliminate the stupid cars that they have to build for CAFE and just build what people WANT. It's THAT simple. MPG be dammed! That should be placed behind awesome performance, good looks, solid build.

High MPG cars are good... they save a lot of gas for our gas guzzlers to use. The green idiots can go to hell with their global warming.. I mean global cooling... I mean "climate change" crap.

We also HAVE to let the unions go bust. That's HALF the problem right there... and now they own HOW much of Chrysler? It's like letting the Fox own the henhouse. CRAZY!

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still don't get it, it makes no business sense for what they have done? The Viper community HAS loyalty but 95 years doesn't?

How about the VCA using thier leverage now that they decided to continue the Viper by saying - "hey, thats great news but were not buying another new one UNTIL Tators Dodge is selling your products again!"?

Jim

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one here will willingly trade their Viper for a SMART car. The Camaro is flying out the dealer floors as is the challenger srt8, and the high end mustangs. Eliminate the stupid cars that they have to build for CAFE and just build what people WANT. It's THAT simple. MPG be dammed! That should be placed behind awesome performance, good looks, solid build.

High MPG cars are good... they save a lot of gas for our gas guzzlers to use. The green idiots can go to hell with their global warming.. I mean global cooling... I mean "climate change" crap.

We also HAVE to let the unions go bust. That's HALF the problem right there... and now they own HOW much of Chrysler? It's like letting the Fox own the henhouse. CRAZY!

I'm not suggesting we get rid of our Vipers or any other SRT for a Smart car. I don't think ANYONE has suggested that! I am saying that they can get better mpg. We can build what we want and get high MPG. I'm still baffled why people on this forum and all the other high performace forums I'm on don't get that!! It's nothing more than applying simple engineering...well simple to me at least. It's just years of lazyness, and maybe stupidity, that prevented it from happening before.

You pointed it out for me conveniently. The Camaro is flying off the shelves. The 300hp gets almost 30mpg highway...naturally aspirated! The SS gets 25. The Challenger is stuck in the teens! That's sad. The 6.4L will get mid 20's highway, so SRT will resolve that issue. But they should have and could have done it a few years ago...that's my point.

Regardless of you political views, global warming does exist. It's simple science! Is there more or less polution in the air compared to yesterday, last year, last decade? Simple answer.

I agree with you 100% about the union mess!

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regardless of you political views, global warming does exist. It's simple science! Is there more or less polution in the air compared to yesterday, last year, last decade? Simple answer.
:lmao::lmao: hmmmmmm...... thats right it's all human impact. EVERYONE STOP DRIVING TO SAVE THE WORLD.:lmao::lmao::lmao: and this would be the first climate change the world has seen, right?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting we get rid of our Vipers or any other SRT for a Smart car. I don't think ANYONE has suggested that! I am saying that they can get better mpg. We can build what we want and get high MPG. I'm still baffled why people on this forum and all the other high performace forums I'm on don't get that!! It's nothing more than applying simple engineering...well simple to me at least. It's just years of lazyness, and maybe stupidity, that prevented it from happening before.

You pointed it out for me conveniently. The Camaro is flying off the shelves. The 300hp gets almost 30mpg highway...naturally aspirated! The SS gets 25. The Challenger is stuck in the teens! That's sad. The 6.4L will get mid 20's highway, so SRT will resolve that issue. But they should have and could have done it a few years ago...that's my point.

I agree with you 100% about the union mess!
Global warming does NOT exist... the last year or two, climate temps has gone DOWN. Notice, there is no long a mass use of the term "global warming". "Climate Change" is the new buzzword. Don't ever think you and your kind (which would include me) is significant enough to permanently harm mother nature. REAL scientists know that global warming is a joke. 25 years ago, they warned of global cooling.... as they will again 25 years from now. Check your facts... the world is ROUND! :rolleyes:

As for mpg... I never said it wasnt important... just not as important as performance, looks and quality... to sacrifice any of that JUST for mpg is stupid. Drill more here and problem is solved. Or are you so blind by your sacred cows that you don't smell the **** it's layin?

At least you're smart enough to understand the union corruption. We can agree on that at least.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is a time of Global Cooling, and we;'re equalling records set in 1970, Same old stuff and nothing new. Saying that it's Car stuff causing pollution is just BS to collect more taxes.

There's quite a few Volcanos that are each worth over a 100 years worth of car and industrial pollution. DUH!

Anyway, my supercharged Viper gets 20mpg (us). My Hemi pickup gets about 14 mpg and towing I get about 11mpg. The problem is definitely NOT my Viper and driving to Detroit, the other 5 Vipers all got the same or slightly better mileage. Joe's pickup towed his trailer at 7mpg.

My Viper also gets the same mileage at 100mph. Try that Honda!

My 3 Dodge Stealth R/T TTs get 24-26mpg. and my Turbo Daytona gets around 34mpg at 80-100mpg.

I think that's great mileage and yes, I'd appreciate the better mileage (2mpg better) of the 2009 Hemi Rams. My wife won't allow me to upgrade to headers and catback "because it's too loud." So I lose 2mpg to be quiet.

Why don't all the Greenies demand every car come equipped with headers and loud high prefomance exhaust??? Because they drive JUNK and think I should also drive garbage, just because they do??? I think that every one driving a car with 10" or smaller breaks, 14" or smaller tires and anything skinnier than a 225 tire have a speed limiter instaled so that they can't go faster than 55mph! Damn things can't stop at that speed even. Why do those "Greenie" Idiots drive those POSs at 80-100mph???

Ted

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Global warming does NOT exist... the last year or two, climate temps has gone DOWN. Notice, there is no long a mass use of the term "global warming". "Climate Change" is the new buzzword. Don't ever think you and your kind (which would include me) is significant enough to permanently harm mother nature. REAL scientists know that global warming is a joke. 25 years ago, they warned of global cooling.... as they will again 25 years from now. Check your facts... the world is ROUND! :rolleyes:

As for mpg... I never said it wasnt important... just not as important as performance, looks and quality... to sacrifice any of that JUST for mpg is stupid. Drill more here and problem is solved. Or are you so blind by your sacred cows that you don't smell the **** it's layin?

At least you're smart enough to understand the union corruption. We can agree on that at least.

Actually, I think we agree on most of the points...we're just saying them differently. It is climate change (formerly known as global warming). The whole premise is that the more the polution and the less the ozone, the more climate change and the more UV radiation. Just as the poor folks in NZ about that.

Our SRTs are not the cause of climate change. But every car out there, yes, EVERY car, can see mpg improvements WITHOUT sacrificing a thing. And it could have been done a long time ago.

My family has worked as higher ups in Chrysler since the 60's. There are many reasons, most of them quite sickening, as to why better, more fuel efficient engines were not produced. None of those reasons have anything to do with performance. Some of those reasons are lazyness, lobbying (by oil companies), etc. It really does/did exist unfortunately.

Assuming the same (or actually better performance in some cases), wouldn't you want to save $$ on gas. If not, I'll send you my address and maybe you could send some of that $$ my way:). Wouldn't you like to stop enabling the Middle East? If not, give me your name and I'll tell Homeland that you support terrorists (just kidding). Wouldn't you want your kids to have the same or better quality of life as you. If not, I'll call DCFS...again, just kidding:D.

Isn't it kind of sad that the union owns half of Chrysler?

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a time of Global Cooling, and we;'re equalling records set in 1970, Same old stuff and nothing new. Saying that it's Car stuff causing pollution is just BS to collect more taxes.

There's quite a few Volcanos that are each worth over a 100 years worth of car and industrial pollution. DUH!

Anyway, my supercharged Viper gets 20mpg (us). My Hemi pickup gets about 14 mpg and towing I get about 11mpg. The problem is definitely NOT my Viper and driving to Detroit, the other 5 Vipers all got the same or slightly better mileage. Joe's pickup towed his trailer at 7mpg.

My Viper also gets the same mileage at 100mph. Try that Honda!

My 3 Dodge Stealth R/T TTs get 24-26mpg. and my Turbo Daytona gets around 34mpg at 80-100mpg.

I think that's great mileage and yes, I'd appreciate the better mileage (2mpg better) of the 2009 Hemi Rams. My wife won't allow me to upgrade to headers and catback "because it's too loud." So I lose 2mpg to be quiet.

Why don't all the Greenies demand every car come equipped with headers and loud high prefomance exhaust??? Because they drive JUNK and think I should also drive garbage, just because they do??? I think that every one driving a car with 10" or smaller breaks, 14" or smaller tires and anything skinnier than a 225 tire have a speed limiter instaled so that they can't go faster than 55mph! Damn things can't stop at that speed even. Why do those "Greenie" Idiots drive those POSs at 80-100mph???

Ted

Great points. See you can get performance WITHOUT sacrificing mpg:2tu: To add to that list, I AVERAGE 24.5 mpg with my 335i coupe and I drive it hard with only 87 octane! I get 0-60 in 4.9 sec. I've gotten an average of 32 mpg on the highway with it.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Limbaugh says Global Warming does not exist. So. Global Waming does not exist !.........On the other hand, I want to drive my gas guzzeling V 10, reguardless :drive:

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Limbaugh says Global Warming does not exist. So. Global Waming does not exist !.........On the other hand, I want to drive my gas guzzeling V 10, reguardless :drive:

:rolaugh: Funny post ledfoot. But seriously, isn't it amazing how many people take advice from a drug abuser with a high school education and, according to his mother, flunked everything!

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Super news.

Huge thanks to all for their hard work on making the Viper line continue!

Thank you for for not being discouraged by all the bullcrap rumors surrounding our belowed Viper's future.

THANK YOU

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang