Thermostat clicking question

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lately my GTS has been running hotter and hotter. Naturally the outside temps have been at or above 100° and this hasn't helped. I decided to pull the radiator so that I could it and the surrounding area. It was obviously very dirty and full of crap including enough leaves to make any nest building bird proud.

Now to the question. During the purge session I noticed that when I hand pumped the upper hose I could hear a clicking noise coming from the thermo housing area. I can’t pinpoint the noise and its either the top of the water pump or the thermostat itself. What on the thermostat could be clicking or is this normal?

Now if I can get the bottom hose to seal I would almost consider this task complete. I really don’t like removing radiator hoses as it seems they never seal correctly.

Thanks,

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
from the water splashing around inside maybe? Some folks do refer to it as a clicking...just fyi Chris.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds strange for sure. I would based on what you've said, and remembering another post by you with cooling issues, change that thermostat. I can't remember exactly who, but someone recently posted a detailed failure of a stat. Put on the Roe hoses too. No more clicking, I mean, no more squeezing the upper hose.

Why are you having issues sealing the hoses?

Do you have friends with tools? Or beer?

OP
OP
S

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
from the water splashing around inside maybe? Some folks do refer to it as a clicking...just fyi Chris.

I know our water is hard but it’s not that hard :)

This sounds like the T-stat moving or at least a piece of it. I have another T-stat that came out of my SRT10 ram. I'm sure it’s not the same design although they are interchangeable. I thought it would be simple to find a 3/16 pipe plug socket locally. It appears I was wrong and have ordered one from snap on.

I have plenty of tools and a few who live around me as well. The issue with the lower hose is that someone mangled the lower return pipe. Instead of being rounds its well almost square. I think I finally got it on and all the air out of the system. Now I'm sure I'll be replacing that T-stat.

Thanks,