These are great times were living in...

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey guys...
not turning this into a zo6 vs viper thread, but i have a few things to add...
ive owned both cars....06 zo6 and an 06 viper coupe, so i feel i can make a few knowledgable comparisons...

first off a huge misconception i see on this board is people confusing TRACTION CONTROL for LAUNCH CONTROL. huge difference. look it up. the TC on the z has nothing to do with improving launches or lowering times. it has to do with trying to help u from losing control and crashing due to excessive wheelspin. also its adjustable to 4 levels.

my experience is that the viper actually hooks better off the line than the zo6 does. 345's run craps vs 325 runcraps. for some reason the viper seems to hook much better off the line. to me, this is why the viper (06 anyway) hangs with the z 0-60 and 1/4 mile. better launch. once traction isnt an issue, its goodnight charlie as the z walks away from the viper.

the rear traction comes into play in other areas also....viper feels more planted in turns, at least to me, and is more predictable. better road feel etc....

2 great cars. if the zo6 was a bit more differentiated from a base c6 aesthetically, i believe the car would be more desireable.

just my o2.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's all this noise about.

The magazines have documented that the 2008 Viper beats the Z06. Case closed.

So a ZR1 seems to need a blower to keep up. The ACR will probably still beat it on the track where turns are required, and with the factory Mopar headers/exhaust (675HP) and some 3.33 rear gears (more like the vette's 3.42s), the ACR probably will beat the ZR1 in a straight line too.

Be interesting to see how many laps the ZR1 can go with the blower till the heat factor sets in and it starts slowing. It will require some cooling system. Not to mention that GM will do anything to get out of having a warranty repair...so are they going to pay to rebuild track cars? For three years???:omg:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey guys...

first off a huge misconception i see on this board is people confusing TRACTION CONTROL for LAUNCH CONTROL. huge difference. look it up. the TC on the z has nothing to do with improving launches or lowering times. it has to do with trying to help u from losing control and crashing due to excessive wheelspin. also its adjustable to 4 levels.

just my o2.

Your right that the two are different, but traction control DOES help in acceleration, by contolling wheel spin. And if programmed can allow just enough wheel slip and improves straightline acceleration and accelerating out of corners. Sure theres stability and YAW sensors, etc that help aid in stabilizing a car. Those wont help at the drag strip. And if the factory sets the TC very sensitive then it will just power down car and you wont accel as quick. But TC DEFINATELY helps with launching, especially if you know how to work it in your favor, you will get out of the hole quicker.
I hope you dont think AWD is useless for launching also........

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your right that the two are different, but traction control DOES help in acceleration, by contolling wheel spin. And if programmed can allow just enough wheel slip and improves straightline acceleration and accelerating out of corners. Sure theres stability and YAW sensors, etc that help aid in stabilizing a car. Those wont help at the drag strip. And if the factory sets the TC very sensitive then it will just power down car and you wont accel as quick. But TC DEFINATELY helps with launching, especially if you know how to work it in your favor, you will get out of the hole quicker.
I hope you dont think AWD is useless for launching also........

theoretically youre correct, but in the way the zo6 is set up, youre incorrect.
the 4 settings for tc is full on, which is useless at the drag strip as it allows so very little spin and powers the car down too long....the launch is ruined.
"competition mode" allows a healthy dose of wheelspin, mostly for kicking the back out coming around corners, but here it allows too much wheelspin for an effective launch. however it will prevent u from totally losing control.
the other setting is tc off, and the 4th is tc and yaw off.

how many zo6's have u driven? how many have you owned?
no, i dont think AWD is useless for launching at all.....totally different mechanics at work and i dont see where youre trying to tie the 2 together...
i had a 450whp evo, i know all abt the advantages of AWD.

impressive hp/tq ratings you have...how did you do it?

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad to see other people like evomind who have had both vehicles. I swear the entire Corvette hater theme gets old here sometimes, good to see people with experience and facts bring some reason back into these disputes.

My supercharged C6 ran 2 tenths slower with any of the traction controls enabled. They pull ignition timing and close the electronic throttle body to control wheel spin, this stuff takes longer to recover when it kicks in. You are WAY better off feathering the throttle and clutch on your own at the dragstrip.

As for stock vs stock comparisons, the night I took my stock '06 Viper to the track it ran about 6 mph slower than a stock C6Z06 the same night. That is a substantial difference at a drag strip.

Tony

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine