Thinking of changing color on my Viper

Eliminator

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering about anyones thoughts about a complete color change on resale value and so on. The car is red now and I have a few scratches that need to be taken care of anyway so I thought what the heck, maybe I'll just change the whole color to yellow. I think I will keep the car for a long time. It is a 97 GTS with a Venom 500 package. It is awsome! I just want it perfect.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we all know what changing the original color of a Viper does to resale value. Original is what keeps the value up.
You must be registered for see images

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not worry about the resale value if your planning on keeping the car. Do what makes you happy.

I agree with 96 rt/10, If yuor keeping it and have modded it to your liking, it is obviously a keeper. Enjoy and let the mods continue..Although if your going to change the color why not.....BLACK..they are definetly the classiest looking!

Adam :p

255DSCF0066-med.JPG

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I third the do what makes you happy. You cannot second guess the market. To be honest I doubt red will draw a premium but yellow might depending on how well the paint job is. You might want to take some before pictures so show it was not a wrecked car.

Black is classy... Too classy. The viper is about attitude not class. :p ;)

Scott E. Smith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a color change now....it's a very dark burgundy pearl metallic...with ghost flames on the sides....ghost stripes...with inlaid ghost flames....matching valve covers,matching nitrous bottle..etc. it's a 94 r/t I've had for 5 years...and I could care less about resale....I didn't buy it to worry about the value!! so I agree ...do what YOU want!!! I'll be posting pics soon...

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I third the do what makes you happy. You cannot second guess the market. To be honest I doubt red will draw a premium but yellow might depending on how well the paint job is. You might want to take some before pictures so show it was not a wrecked car.

Black is classy... Too classy. The viper is about attitude not class. :p ;)

Agree on both points.

Do what makes you happy and black is too classy for a nasty muscled Viper. :)

Nasty 10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a color change now....it's a very dark burgundy pearl metallic...with ghost flames on the sides....ghost stripes...with inlaid ghost flames....matching valve covers,matching nitrous bottle..etc. it's a 94 r/t I've had for 5 years...and I could care less about resale....I didn't buy it to worry about the value!! so I agree ...do what YOU want!!! I'll be posting pics soon...

That sounds cool! :cool:

OP
OP
E

Eliminator

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions so far guy's. I am a little torn about it. I like the idea of taking pictures of it before painting it yellow so people can see that there was no prior damage and it was just a custom modification I wanted to do. Just in case I ever do sell it. Better to be safe then sorry, I guess. I like the idea of some ghost flames also.

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 94 and I just changed mine from the factory orange/red to a candy apple red. Resale? It's all about what turns the heads!

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And these pics are with the car covered in dust but you can't really tell. I will have better pics coming!

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eliminator, IMHO a color change that is done RIGHT will not even effect the value of the car. (not like it matters much if you are keeping it anyway) My 98 was originally silver and I had Dodge paint it black (a color only REALLY nerdy Viper owners like myself even know was not available in 98)

My dealer did a great job and unless I was to show someone how to tell what color it used to be, it would be impossible to tell. On the other hand, now owning a black Viper is more work than I could have ever imagined. (My car is a TRUE daily driver) If I could snap my fingers and go back to Silver I would in a NY minute.

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your gonna paint it a different color, you might as well do something exotic and different than the stock colors.. yellow is icky.. (yes icky is a technical term) :)
My personal vote is purple!!
212rsidetop.jpg

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your gonna paint it a different color, you might as well do something exotic and different than the stock colors.. yellow is icky.. (yes icky is a technical term) :)
212rsidetop.jpg

Do whatever makes you feel GOOD!, resales doesn't really matter when you drive something that you love everyday, DO IT for yourself and not others. Heck, if you do it well, you might start your own following.

Roadkill, that is an amazing color you have, very very different! It looks really nice with the light colored concrete.

Scott E. Smith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey matt....I'm putting on the same front splitter, do you have any problems with driveways?do you find you have to back in alot?and do you have any type of chin guard under there?...everything is still off my car so I don't really have a grasp of how low it will be!

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went through the exact same quandary. Click on the avatar for details.

Conclusion: Color change will probably cost me $3K in resale value, because it seems that Blue/White cars carry a slight premium. I'm not sure the same is true for red cars.

I always wanted a yellow/black car, and it's worth $3K to me. I'm planning on keeping the car for a while so I'll deal with resale later.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went through the exact same quandary. Click on the avatar for details.

Conclusion: Color change will probably cost me $3K in resale value, because it seems that Blue/White cars carry a slight premium. I'm not sure the same is true for red cars.

I always wanted a yellow/black car, and it's worth $3K to me. I'm planning on keeping the car for a while so I'll deal with resale later.

Ok now that is a crime against nature. Painting a blue and white Viper a different color. :)

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok now that is a crime against nature. Painting a blue and white Viper a different color. :)

[/QUOTE]

Boy where is the lynch mob when you need them? :p That is the only color I would trade my car for... And I am not sure if it is an upgrade. I am guessing the yellow turns more heads? Doing what you want is priceless. If you do not like the color, change it!

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want a yellow Viper, why not just sell your Viper and buy a yellow one? Repainting a car a different color that is already offered is not wise. I also think repainting a car another color is a bad idea, you always have the previous color that is going to sneak in somewhere and drive you nuts.

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Black is a PIA to keep clean. HOWEVER, I love yellow with black stripes and also red with white stripes. After owning a black 79 Trans Am in College I really did not want another black car. I bought my ACR despite the black color.

I was considering painting it but at the last VC meeting I saw mine next to both yellow/black and red/white. The black and silver combo just blows them away.

Paint your car. Do black with silver stripes. Buy a Kalifornia duster.

bhchase

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Paint it PINK ! It will keep the board going for months !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tommy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
212rsidetop.jpg

The "Barney Viper".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad