This must have happened to most of you

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been taking the GTS out frequently lately and have noticed
that everytime one of these rice burners or anyone else with an aftermarket exhaust goes by they make sure i hear it. Usually it's always as i'm turning or as i pull over to stop. Had a Mustang do this, some hybrid abomination yesterday (have no clue what it was), and some guy in a sentra on the belt parkway(traffic was crawling as usual)say 'i've got a 73 charger for you'. To which i replied 'the cheapest price i race for is $50,000' and gave him a location. That shut him up, and if he was stupid enough to bring the doe where i said, let's just say i would be $50,000 richer.
The point i am trying to make is what are these people trying to accomplish? Usually they are the minority, but lately they must all be out when i am.

The funniest was a rice burner that as i was turning he went by and hit the exhaust. It sounded like his car farted. my friend and i started cracking up and i think the driver saw us in his side view mirror. Must have made him feel like an idiot.

What kind of responses do most of you use out there?
I thought of saying 'I only race vipers, ferraris, and lamborghinis', but there must be more. Let me hear them.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Usually they just want to show you that they are into cars too. I consider it a sign of respect. I bet most people cracked up when they heard the sound of my stock exaust. No longer with Corsa/RT cats. I remember one guy who after hearing the stock exaust said with a puzzled look, "I thought those things had a lot of hp?".
I am sure all the guys on the Porsche board say the same thing about me when I throw a rev at them...
laugh.gif

P.S.
You better seroiusly investigate that Charger before you race or you could be out 50k!
smile.gif

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neil:

Being from the same town as you (and speds), I think our experiences may be a bit different than the rest of the "world". Frankly, west of the Hudson, these displays me actually be "friendly" but, sadly, I don't believe it to be the case here. Here, it's simply "screw you and you're expensive Viper. I'm faster/better/tougher, etc." IMO, and I am surely biased growing up in not the best of local neighborhoods, it's always an expression of jealousy followed by anger and rage! I wish it were different...wish it were just "saying Hi" but not here (certainly NOT on the belt).
frown.gif
<sorry to be the cynic>

LQQK_OUT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so quick to rank on the imports. Many of them are quite fast. Last night I lined up against a VW GTI which ran an 11.8. Plain and simple, he smoked me. They only thing in my defense is that he had on sticky tires. But, that really isn't any sort of consolation.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yesterday I went for a cruise with 2 other vipers a final gts and a 01 yellow gts acr. The 3 of us were crossing back in the U.S. from Canada.
We were pulled to the side to reinstall our detectors.
And a **** in a ricecar goes by and yells want to rice I mean race.
the ricecars are all want to wannabes some of them are ok like the example fred gave but most seem to be just jealous jerks.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Responses to a challenge that seem to work:1-Big smile and a wave.2-The are you on drugs or a retard look.and 3-(posted by someone else on this board)How much of a head start do you want? Bruce

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by neil:
Citysnake, you make a lot of sense. Our only consolation is that most of these people have the IQ of a peapod anyway.
Can't wait to see what happens if this Diablo deal goes thru. It will probably be worse. BTW i also have a 2000 daughter, i should have named her Diabla, because she is a terror.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Neil:"
IQ of a peapod"
laugh.gif
I love that! (it's also true)
Best of Luck with the Diablo! Intense motorcar! Pure exotica!
Daughters are truly the greatest blessing! Puts a new perspective on your life (terror or not
wink.gif
).

What the western world (that's west of the Hudson River) does not comprehend is what we "City" Viper owners have to deal with. We usually get "challenged" in the midst of traffic on a road which was last repaved when LaGuardia was mayor! Yeah bud, let's see who can rip off their control arms first! I definetly want to prove how I can weave in and out of stop and go traffic over potholes and ruts faster than you...in your modded $3,500 rusted painted over 12 year old Integra. Yeah right
rolleyes.gif
nono.gif

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
neil and citysnake,
I have a 2001 model daughter
baby[1].gif

she is nothing like my son who is now 3

Neil, I thought it was just me but girls seem to be a little more difficult even as a baby.
I too thought the name diablo maui (polish for little evil)
was appropriate.

I just worry about when my daughter gets to 16 and wants to drive the viper!!
eek.gif

Children no matter how challenging are a blessing.
little angels
angel.gif

best wishes
JIM

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
most the time people are giving me the hand signals to light up the tires.....

as for honda's revving their engines at you..... I wouldn't be waving around the 50 grand too much....
smile.gif
they might not be in your area, but there are PLENTY of street driven rice burners out there that would easily give most Vipers a severe beating.....

webtrader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When this kinda stuff happens to me I just remember one thing:

"The only person in life that I have to impress is ME"

Let them act out their foolishness, Give them a wave knowing you don't have to PROVE anything as the VIPER say's it all driving down the road OR just standing still.
laugh.gif

Enjoy....
supergrin.gif

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't get that much around here now. Small town, everyone knows everyone. I used to lead the hot rod ricers and F-body/pony cars out onto county roads. Forget straight lines, get the testosterone junkies onto some Kentucky twisties. After one fellow put his car over a hillside (uninjured) in an offcamber righthander seems like the word got around. I stopped and helped the guy up the hill. I get friendly comments now at stops, no challenges, plenty of invites to local gatherings.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that it's a chip-on-the-shoulder thing. Sometimes these drivers are just recognizing the Viper as a supercar, and sometimes it's that they are threatened by the reputation of the Viper.

I regularly have riced Civics and such chirping their tires at me, and mostly it's that they want a fast car too, and want to be seen as fast themselves.

Certainly there are a few car enthusiasts that have modded their cars so much that they are actually very fast in a straight line. And that's just fine with me. I have no illusions that the Viper is the fastest car in the world, but what I love the car for includes more than being fast alone.

It's not a wolf in sheep's clothing, it's the real thing.
supergrin.gif

-Dean.

OP
OP
V

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just came back from a ride and it happened again. A guy in a Civic. Anyway, i just beeped and waved.

I think jcaspar1 has a point regarding the stock sound of the car. Now that i think of it, very rarely does this happen when i'm driving the zr1. The zr1 has headers, three inch pipes and desert development mufflers. It's loud and it sounds like a monster.
I can't say i'm thrilled by the stock sound myself, but i really wanted to leave the car stock. But i think we'll start with removing the muffler and then i'll just wait until the next club meeting and when i hear what i like i'll have it put on.

Citysnake, you make a lot of sense. Our only consolation is that most of these people have the IQ of a peapod anyway.
Can't wait to see what happens if this Diablo deal goes thru. It will probably be worse.
crying.gif
BTW i also have a 2000 daughter, i should have named her Diabla, because she is a terror.

Reaction score
As they say it takes two. Yesterday I was on a local expressway, I saw a rice rocket closing fast. I stayed at speed(a little over the posted limit) they passed on the right and then slowed for me to pass. (My 3 yr old son was riding with me.) I looked over waved and smiled. The four young boys smiled and dropped back. My reaction to them could have been different and their response different. I am sure their fast closing was to see the car(GT2) up-close. And perhaps looking for a little race, but they received a smile and wave and likely saw my 3 year old looking at them as well with a big smile.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang