Thoughts on trading in 01 GTS Bumblebee for 06 BB Coupe

wannabe-psi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Shocking results...

The Gen II crowd chimes in to keep the GEN II

This is typical message board "my car is the best ever"

hhmm since i picked up my gts 2 weeks ago, i could have picked up a 06 coupe if i wanted! so i would have to say no about the "my car is best ever" comment. the gts imho is a better looking car(raw)!!

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, the Gen II has a lower coefficient of drag than the Gen III, so saying that the Gen III is better in EVERY technical way is inaccurate.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, the Gen II has a lower coefficient of drag than the Gen III, so saying that the Gen III is better in EVERY technical way is inaccurate.

Well thats because the gen II is always behind the gen III and needs every advantage it can get!!!! :smirk:

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could have bought either Gen. I chose a GTS.

GTS = The Hot girl in College that you spent every penny on because you were "blinded with lust"

SRT = The one you married later that has a job and nice parents.

I still dream about the "good times" from college!

KEEP LIVIN' THE DREAM!!!

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score

Huh???

These are the numbers, I did the math for you:

RT/10's Cd .46 x 1.91 m2 frontal area = Cx .883
GTS Cd .39 x 1.91 m2 frontal area = Cx .744
Gen III's Cd .39 x 1.79 m2 frontal area = Cx .698

Gen III's have substantially less Cx.

Cheers, Jose

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shocking results...

The Gen II crowd chimes in to keep the GEN II

This is typical message board "my car is the best ever"

Listen its very simple....

GEN III is superior car in every technical way

Which one looks better is something that has been debated to death I'm sure...so thats really a matter of opinion that you have to decide...spare us the 16 year old Valet is the true test of looks. Like he would forget an 06 Coupe because it doesnt have the wow factor....right

What I find mute about any of this is this guy only puts 300 miles a year on his car...hell I put that on in nice weekend. Why give so much thought to something you will never use.

And as for the "in 20 years" talk...who cares. Do any of you really plan on keeping your car for 20 years as an investment plan...so a $50k used viper may retain it's value and go up some in 20 years (GEN I, II)..but even if it sold for $150k....TIME VALUE OF MONEY over that period for even a risk adverse investment would be a lot more than that....simply put its NOT a good investment

Guitar Boy, since all your money was spent on a GenIII and an over priced strum box and you can't seem to afford buying a clue, the following is offered at no cost:

You contend that the GenII crowd advocates in favor of their model because they own one. Did you ever think that they may own one because they like them better? If this concept is still foreign to you, ask your little sister to explain it to you.

Yes the SRT is a better car then a GenII from a technological standpoint but so is a 1986 Corvette relative to a 1967 Corvette. A 1978 Mustang has much more technology than a 1965 Mustang, which one you going to go with, get the point? The question about which car most people would prefer today has nothing to do with dollar value.

And please don't find anything "mute" about anything in the future. The word you were looking for is "moot." However, mute is a word you should consider in application to yourself.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhh, this is why there will always be an automobile industry. New is not always better. Check out the debate regarding the "new" Challenger. Many love the retro styling with 21st century innovation. Just as many are griping that it looks old and dated..."Why would I buy something that looks like it came out of the 60's. Give me something fresh and new". Geeze. Granted in theory the newest models should always be an improvement over the old, but I would not take that "to the bank."

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not arguing the fact that people who bought the GEN II did so because they like it better...again thats a matter of their opinion of what looks better. That's fine.

My advice is based on the fact that if this guy goes with the 06 Coupe he wont be dissapointed because its a better car in every way technically.

As far as the looks go...this suggestion that the GTS is this **** design while the SRT is subtle is ridiculous. The new coupe is stunning...definitely one of the best designed cars on the road today. I have the Vert because I want top down driving...but I definitely think the coupe has better styling.

While there are definitely a good # of you who could afford to upgrade to the newer model...I think its safe to say MOST GEN I/II owners have picked up their cars 2nd hand and can't afford to make the move to a new one...of if they do its a great financial strain like it appears to be for this guy. I agree you all are right that he should stay put....but that doesnt mean the GEN III is not a far superior car in many ways....AS IT SHOULD BE (being the newest model)...even if it is..doesnt take away from the greatness of the GEN II..for without it..there would be no GEN III.

This "vintage" comparisson to the viper needs to stop too...sure maybe in 20 years the GEN I/II will be considered a classic...but this is not 2026..its 2006, they are everywhere for sale on ebay etc...so its way to earl to tell if it will be considered a classic. I find it funny when you see the GEN I with only like 20 miles on it up for sale because some guy thought it would be worth so much...and they can't even get $40k for it...

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Ditto!

I love the blue/white GTS but it shows its age... I am sure 20 years in the future it will be a classic, maybe more than the GenIII but nowadays it is just a "last year's model" car.

Most of us who have owned both Gen I/II and Gen III's would not switch back for anything, even if we still have respect and great memories of our first Viper.

I am sure some random dude will now counter me, but the vast majority of the aggregate agrees with my position and that's a fact.

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly...

I owned an '01 RT10 when it was new and LOVED IT. It still brings me back when I see one on the road.

But would I trade in my SRT on it...never. I'm sorry but I got caught in the rain too many times with the top at home...thinking "there must be a better way"...and now there is.

As much as I loved my car...I found the tupee top such an agrevating part of the experience....while I convinced myself at the time that was the price to pay for viper ownersip (along with the rattling dash and horrible brakes), but now there is a better version that solves both those problems.

No question the GEN I/II will be a classic....and if I decide to re-live my youth in 20 years and buy a classic Viper..I will...but It's not a classic today. Its still a great car...but its a car that has been greatly approved on. Whether the look factor is enough to keep you from these improvements is entirely up to the purchaser...and that's fine as long as they are happy with their decision.

Coming online to get opinions on what car you should buy is stupid anyway...get what will make you happy and don't car what anyone else thinks..

Life is simple...you make decisions and you don't look back

BigSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At this point in time, forget about a car becoming a "collector", this is my opinion (just my opinion) of which Viper I would want if money were no object. Keep in mind that I have a 2003 black SRT vert.

1. SRT coupe w/stripes (w/b then b/w, r/w, y/b, b/s...)
2. SRT coupe w/out stripes (red then yellow, black, blue...)
3. GTS w/ stripes (s/b then b/w, r/w, y/b...)
4. SRT convertible (black then red, silver, yellow, blue, gray, white, copper...)
5. GTS w/o stripes (silver then red, yellow, black...)
6. RT-10 (1997 and up)
7. RT-10 (1996 and older)
8. McDonald edition Viper (red w/ yellow wheels because of the wheels)
9. Green RT-10 (sports cars shouldn't be green).

This list is just my peronal preference, and I know it will make a lot of you mad. This is just my ranking of the most desirable Vipers to me. While I love the GTS, the interior on the SRT is so much nicer, and I ride around on the inside of the carn not the outside. I love the convertible, but would prefer stripes over a convertible. Everyone is always saying that the GTS is so much better looking and stands out more than the SRT, and that's true, but it's because of the stripes, not the body style. The new coupes with stripes are every bit as good looking as a striped GTS, but the GTS is better looking than an SRT vert.

Here are the pros and cons of the SRT, GTS and RT-10, again, only my opinion:

SRT
pros: interior, brakes, every day drivability, real convertible top, start button, new 5 spoke rims, stripes on coupes
cons: convertible styling is a little tame, stock radio looks like crap (can't even believe they use that radio), h-rims, hood slopes down (you don't see the awesome GTS hood when driving especially with stripes) and that makes you forget sometimes that you are in a viper

GTS
pros: stripes, hood, roof, muscularity, feel
cons: interior

RT-10
pros: sort of a convertible, hood
cons: sort of a convertible, top, interior

What does all of this tell you? I would rather have the new yellow/black coupe than the yellow/black GTS...BUT...I would rather have your GTS than my SRT convertible.....AND.....most importantly......I hate car loans so don't spend more than you can afford.....AND.....the most important thing of all......START PUTTING SOME MILES ON THAT CAR!!!!!! IT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I rented a blue/white GTS in Vegas years ago. I will never forget that feeling. So, I went and bought a Viper a year and a half ago. Bought the new body style because it's new. To this day I still wish I bought a striped GTS, blue w/ silver.

So, anyone want to trade their striped GTS for my 2003 black SRT? I've got chrome roll hoops, the Mopar navigation radio, MGW shifter, 13,400 miles and a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty good until January of 2010 or 70,000 miles through Chrysler and fully transferable. The car has no issues and I drive it every day that there's good weather (North Carolina). Just a thought.....Interesting trades considered.

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ummmmm you can add stripes to any viper...including your SRT...which btw now comes with stripes.

I think you put a little too much weight into the whole stripe thing. But that's your right.

And if you would prefer stripes over a convertible...you really don't "love" convertibles...you apparently just love stripes.

And I think its laughable that you say the SRT styling is tame...compared to what?

BigSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can stripe the vert, but it doesn't look good with the top up, ruins the continuity of the stripes. The SRT vert styling is more tame than the SRT coupe or GTS, especially the back end, and I think that most would agree. When people typically think of a viper, I think the picture includes stripes. Not trying to offend, but it always happens when an opinion is given. Don't get me wrong, all vipers are still awesome, I just prefer some over others, that's all.

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think when people think of a "viper" they think of a Red RT 10...the first viper ever. Next probabbly is a blue/white GTS (when they think of coupes)

I agree stripes dont look good on the vert..for the same reason you mentioned.

I still would rather have a vert even thought stripes and styling have the edge on the coupe. Maybe its just me...but on a beautiful 80 degree day there is nothing like top down driving....and the idea of being stuck in a cockpit with the top on is not very appealing. But thats my personal perefence for convertibles.

Agreed that coupe looks better...but don't agree either is "tame" all vipers are still over-the-top

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul - Your statements are interestingly contradicting. I'm getting a kick out of reading your posts:

First, you say:

"Don't mean to be a snob....but most people will just think you can't afford a new one if you are driving a model that is 6+ years old "

Then, in another post:

"...get what will make you happy and don't care what anyone else thinks"

Awesome.

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most people will think that....whether you care what most people think is entirely different...not contradictory.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love the blue/white GTS but it shows its age... I am sure 20 years in the future it will be a classic, maybe more than the GenIII but nowadays it is just a "last year's model" car.

I could not disagree more. People go crazy over the B/W and I have never heard 1 comment about it being last year’s model. Actually at car shows I have been asked by 3 different people at 3 different shows, if they still make Vipers (IE not even knowing what the SRT10 is). I would guess that 9/10 people would not even know my GTS was a generation old.

As for the original question, I would keep the GTS only because you still owe money on it. If you owned it free and clear go with the new coupe as you obviously want it. These cars are just for fun so when you have the itch for a new one, scratch it (money dependent).

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Actually at car shows I have been asked by 3 different people at 3 different shows, if they still make Vipers (IE not even knowing what the SRT10 is)"

-Clearly these people know NOTHING about cars...so their opinions should mean nothing as well. Just because a group is out of the loop doesnt diminish the new model

"I would guess that 9/10 people would not even know my GTS was a generation old."

-Again maybe if the group knows nothing about cars. But even to non car folk...if you put your GTS NEXT TO a new coupe they would be able to tell the difference, and notice which one is newer.

Again most people are clueless...I will give you that. I was at a show recently with my SRT vert parked next to a coupe...and this guy asked us if they were both stock..we said yes...than he asked the coupe guy how much hp it had "500"...and than he asked me "What about yours?"..."Umm 500 too"...."they have the same engine?"...

Prime example of what most people know....

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Actually at car shows I have been asked by 3 different people at 3 different shows, if they still make Vipers (IE not even knowing what the SRT10 is)"

-Clearly these people know NOTHING about cars...so their opinions should mean nothing as well. Just because a group is out of the loop doesnt diminish the new model

"I would guess that 9/10 people would not even know my GTS was a generation old."

-Again maybe if the group knows nothing about cars. But even to non car folk...if you put your GTS NEXT TO a new coupe they would be able to tell the difference, and notice which one is newer.

Again most people are clueless...I will give you that. I was at a show recently with my SRT vert parked next to a coupe...and this guy asked us if they were both stock..we said yes...than he asked the coupe guy how much hp it had "500"...and than he asked me "What about yours?"..."Umm 500 too"...."they have the same engine?"...

Prime example of what most people know....
You have a GTS and a SRT vert?

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an SRT Vert..the quotes are taken from above BLUEGTS who is talking about his car.

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have this one on here...

11454Viper6.jpg

Can anyone photoshop blacked out tail lights?

Anyone have pics of a red one with the tails tinted?

Other than that I have removed the badges since this was taken....'05

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahahahah nice...I like it

Looks like phangs....and phangs mean only one thing...VIPERRRRRRRR

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"56lespaul- Just curious, what year/color Viper do you have?
Got any pics?"

How about showing a picture of the "stock" front-end. I bet Sam is onto someone.

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep the GTS - its too new and you will not get a lot.
I kept mine and a got the second car - you be on your way to a collection!
Do not listen to guys who tell you to move on. If you move on you will take another depreciation hit...now is the time to enjoy what you have laready paid for.
Its more than likely that thae guys telling how much better their car actually have less that 1 hour at the track - consider them experts on car handling or braking if they put at least 2500 mile per year on the track - if not, its just a magazine quoting.
You have even used your car. Drive it.
I agree fully with the idea of not waiting...however, the honoured viper owner who quoted that also kept his other cars...
Also, you should still be able to find an SRT bumblebee after they introduce the Gen 3.5...so you are not closing any doors. You gots to build a history with your bumblebee, that's all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187