Time to prepare for winter storage

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here in the northeast as well as other parts of the country this is the time of year we put our toys away and look forward to next year.

Here is a list of items to remember before covering the car for the winter.

1. Disconnect battery and put on a Battery tender. These are not all the same, it is important not to use a trickle charger, these will fry the battery (sulfate).

2. Oil change and filter

3. Cooling system flush and fresh coolant (at the correct portions)
4. Tires to max inflation (see side wall of tire)

5. Top off all fluids (trans, windshield washer, rear, brake fluid, Clutch fluid,)

6. Fill Gas tank as full as possible, and add fuel stabilizer (Ok to go a little heavy) Remember, gas tanks rust out on the inside top of the tank from condensation building up on the inside. If there is fuel all the way to the top, there is no room for moisture to collect.

7. Vacuum and detail the interior. Make sure there is no French fry's under the seat or anything that would draw rodents/insects. pick up some desiccant packets (these are the little packets that keep things dry). Baking soda boxes are a good idea as well.

8. Wash, clay bar, polish and wax the outside. This includes the chrome and brightwork.

9. Clean the engine bay. Not a bad idea to put some rat/mouse poison under the hood. Mice like to build nests in engine bays and chew wires.

10. Put mouse traps on the floor around the car.

11. Clean out the trunk and air up the spare.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or you can just hook up the battery tender and close the door. :)
That way when we get the inevitable rain and clear roads I can take a ride.

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You forgot one.....

12. Buy Dodge Nitro RT, drive/repeat (until weather clears) :D

04 SRT10 (Black)
08 Dodge Nitro R/T (White)

Here in the northeast as well as other parts of the country this is the time of year we put our toys away and look forward to next year.

Here is a list of items to remember before covering the car for the winter.

1. Disconnect battery and put on a Battery tender. These are not all the same, it is important not to use a trickle charger, these will fry the battery (sulfate).

2. Oil change and filter

3. Cooling system flush and fresh coolant (at the correct portions)
4. Tires to max inflation (see side wall of tire)

5. Top off all fluids (trans, windshield washer, rear, brake fluid, Clutch fluid,)

6. Fill Gas tank as full as possible, and add fuel stabilizer (Ok to go a little heavy) Remember, gas tanks rust out on the inside top of the tank from condensation building up on the inside. If there is fuel all the way to the top, there is no room for moisture to collect.

7. Vacuum and detail the interior. Make sure there is no French fry's under the seat or anything that would draw rodents/insects. pick up some desiccant packets (these are the little packets that keep things dry). Baking soda boxes are a good idea as well.

8. Wash, clay bar, polish and wax the outside. This includes the chrome and brightwork.

9. Clean the engine bay. Not a bad idea to put some rat/mouse poison under the hood. Mice like to build nests in engine bays and chew wires.

10. Put mouse traps on the floor around the car.

11. Clean out the trunk and air up the spare.

OP
OP
M

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dryer sheets in the engine compartment and the interior and the trunk are a much better deterent for mice...

OK, I have never heard that one. Can't hurt, I'll give it a try, plus they smell good!

I like to put carpet pieces under each tire also.

That is one I forgot. True, either a piece of plastic or carpet (carpet looks much better) will keep the concrete from attacking the tires so much.

What else should be added to the list?

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car Cover and roll the windows down slightly to take pressure off of the door seals.

Bruce

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I have never heard that one. Can't hurt, I'll give it a try, plus they smell good!

That is one I forgot. True, either a piece of plastic or carpet (carpet looks much better) will keep the concrete from attacking the tires so much.

What else should be added to the list?

Tell her it'll all be over once the snow melts!