Timing Chain Cover Gasket Recommendation

VCA Member
Reaction score
One last (?) note on the timing chain cover gasket. If you have a 1996, 1997 or 1998 you should change this gasket, period. A telltale oil leak is of relatively minor immediate concern, but be aware that it also serves as a gasket for two coolant passages in the timing chain cover.

While the leak may or may not start at these coolant passages it will get there, an inferior gasket is just that - inferior. It will leak. If it leaks coolant there are two options: the first is that coolant will leak to the outside of the cover (consider yourself lucky), the second is that it will leak to the inside and into the engine - a problem that will likely trump any other issue that you may have had with your Viper to date.

I was lucky. I monitored an oil leak for a while then finally decided to replace it. I was 1/16" from a coolant leak as well.

**** it up and get it done.

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was one of the lucky ones as well. External oil leak only. Replaced it. :2tu:

OP
OP

VCA Member
Reaction score
It's the only color that they were proud enough to call "Viper" red

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We are working with a company to make new gaskets for the Gen-1/2 cars which will replace the paper gaskets, and be completely seepage and blow-out proof. Hopefully sometime over the summer.

Stay tuned...