Tire warning

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After jacking my GTS up to remove the rear wheels and install Tom Hayden's calipers, I noticed a small screw that was imbedded into the tread. Since I live pretty close to a small auto repair center, I loaded the tire into my truck and dropped it off to be plugged while I worked on the brakes. I came back after the job was done, paid for the service, and then installed the tire back on the car. I drove around for a day or so and noticed a very weird feeling in the rear end as I accelerated and braked (it felt like it was breaking loose slightly). I was paranoid that I didn't torque the lug nuts enough and that they were coming loose. This wasn't the case as I installed the wheels correctly. I did, however, decide to check the tire pressure. The repaired tire was showing 48 PSI cold!!!! I couldn't believe it! I didn't tell the garage that I wanted 30 PSI (my fault...I know), but I don't see why they'd fill it to 48 PSI!

I haven't said anything to them since I am to blame for not supervising, but I figured I'd let everyone here know to beware the next time they take their tires in to a non-Viper tech. Every other time I've had tire work done, I've stood next to the guys and watched what they did (a little anal and paranoid, I admit).

Ok.....I've vented a little now. Anyone have this happen to them?

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had the same thing happen just two days ago, although it was my front tire. After I got the tire back and mounted it, I tested the PSI just to be sure - it was 40. Decreased it to 30 and I was ready to go. :)

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my Viper the tires were at 45psi cold. Drove it 600 miles (highway) before I realized the reason why it was so squirrelly. Car sat on the dealer's showroom floor for 4 years so I guess he pumped up to prevent flat spots and never thought about it after that. I didn't suspect as my entire pre-purchase Viper drive time was 5 minutes.

A SmarTire monitoring system would prevent this and worse. I added it to mine a few years ago and love it.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When a tire repair shop fixes a tire, they always fill the tire up with more air pressure than is normal after the tire is fixed to check to see that the leak is really fixed. After this, they are supposed to let enough air out to return the pressure to normal. Sounds like a poorly trained and/or rushed and/or lazy repairman "fixed" your tire.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I purchased my 96 it was also pumped over 40 lbs. I wonder if the OEM's put extra pressure in them to compensate for possible bleed down in the months prior to customer pickup. Figure, in a litigeous society, it would be better for pressure to be too high rather than take a chance on it being too low.