Tired of Acid leaking from battery. Can someone recommend a gel battery?

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does sears sell one for the gen 2?
I do not want to deal with acid leaking onto the battery tray anymore.
Which battery should I get?
Will a AGM battery leak acid?
Thanks. :D

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If acid is leaking, your are overfilling the battery and/or the charging cycle is too much ....just my $.02

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here in Tulsa, Oklahoma is a chain called Batteries Plus. Don't know if it exists elsewhere, probably does. They sell batteries for everything. I asked their person about Optima and told of all the things I had heard (mostly bad), how they didn't last. I was told Optima is now made in Mexico and their Quality contol had dropped. I then asked if they had a gel battery that would work in my GTS. They have their own store brand(with side terminals). Check first with our site sponsers for a gel, but if they don't have one, Batteries Plus does. Good luck and have a Happy and safe July 4th.:usa::headbang:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of my Optimas have served me well and lasted a long time. Very nice especially for use in off-road vehicles because they aren't susceptible to spillage or vibration issues. I have one in my Viper also and it has performed perfectly for several years. That being said, I have seen a lot of complaints about them on the car forums. It makes me wonder if they didn't have a period of quality issues like thise that can be encountered with any manufacturer (can you say power steering bracket, pulley, cap, crankshaft damper bolt, etc ?)

People have recommended the Odyssey AGM battery. You don't get hits on Google when searching for: Odyssey battery failure.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Optima works great so far, and it does'nt leak like all other wet batteries. If you drive your car like it was designed to be driven, it WILL LEAK. Just make sure you get the NEW Optima that was designed for our cars. It's been out for about 6 months now.

RickViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Optima Red.. it has work for me Great!!! no problems and works fine even after 2 months of not even starting the car. Good Luck

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just deal with the leakage. My GTS will be 14 years old in 2 weeks and it's only on its 3rd battery. When I used to track it a lot, I had to pull it and top the water off once a year.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My stock battery leaked all over the place during hard driving, and started to corrode the heck out of the battery tray. After cleaning the tray with baking soda and water, I installed an Optima and it's been fine since then. Even if you get an Optima that doesn't last - they have a really good replacement warranty. I had to swap out a few until I got a really good one, and the current battery is going on four years now and works fine.

OppositeLock

VCA Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the Odyssey AGM batteries as they offer no spills, long life and deep cycle capacity. IIRC the Viper uses a Odyssey 34-PC1500T. Manufacture's site: ODYSSEY Batteries. I've used them exclusively on my track cars without any issues.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um. I haven't had a "wet" battery leak on me for 20 years if not longer. Not the same battery for 20 years of course, but I was thinking it had been that long ago they solved the problem of them leaking.

I use Interstate Megatron. No leaks.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's a maintainance free battery.
It is a common problem, at least in gen 1 and 2 cars. See illustrated upgrades on cleaning procedure.;)

We must have an uncommon car as I've never had a leakage problem. This is the 11 season and 90K miles. Our car has seen yearly track time and a couple dozen autocrosses. It's always bone dry back there when I check it.

The OEM battery lasted 7 years and I still have it in the basement as a 12V power source. I've been running an Interstate now for the 4th season. I'm not aware of any other Viper we chum around with that has had issues either.

Something to remember about batteries is that the manufacture typically goes to the lowest bidder. In other words, you can't depend on the same brand year in and out. It's not the same contractor making the particular brand every year. They may have 'standards' that are part of the criteria for the bid, but that doesn't necessarily mean a quality product year in and out.

Steve

OppositeLock

VCA Member
Reaction score
So will an AGM battery leak?
In general they will not as they are truly sealed verses a traditional maintenance-free lead-acid battery; but it ultimately depends on the design. Look for an battery that can be safely orientated in any mounting direction (i.e. laying down v. needing to be kept upright).

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a look at the Odyssey AGM batteries as they offer no spills, long life and deep cycle capacity. IIRC the Viper uses a Odyssey 34-PC1500T. Manufacture's site: ODYSSEY Batteries. I've used them exclusively on my track cars without any issues.

These ARE the best batteries. add to that, not many people know that the Current Sears PLATINUM is manufactured by Enersys/ODYSSEY.

OP, this is the one to get if your looking for a Gel
190bucks at your local Sears:2tu: